Sorry, Seahawks, your time has passed. Seattle is Husky town

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Just pointing out how our perspectives can differ. You can disagree all you want.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I doubt the Huskies will ever be bigger than the Seahawks, even if the hawks were terrible.

Seattle is a city of transplants, most incomers will have their college teams already. Some in Seattle also went to WSU, WWU, EWU, Seattle U, Oregon, Idaho etc.

With pro sports, its easy to latch on to a team and at times can feel like a matter of civic pride when the team does well. I don't like basketball but I was happy for the storm for example.

On top of that the Seahawks have a catchment area from Washington, Alaska, BC, parts of Oregon, parts of Idaho. Millions of people there.

Seahawks games are readily accessible with an antenna. Most husky games are on the PAC12 network which you can't get on direct tv. Many of the games are also evening kick offs which puts people off.

If the huskies went on an Alabama style run and were perennial contenders then you would get the bandwagoners.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Glasgow Seahawk":33t734rf said:
I doubt the Huskies will ever be bigger than the Seahawks, even if the hawks were terrible.

Seattle is a city of transplants, most incomers will have their college teams already. Some in Seattle also went to WSU, WWU, EWU, Seattle U, Oregon, Idaho etc.

With pro sports, its easy to latch on to a team and at times can feel like a matter of civic pride when the team does well. I don't like basketball but I was happy for the storm for example.

On top of that the Seahawks have a catchment area from Washington, Alaska, BC, parts of Oregon, parts of Idaho. Millions of people there.

Seahawks games are readily accessible with an antenna. Most husky games are on the PAC12 network which you can't get on direct tv. Many of the games are also evening kick offs which puts people off.

If the huskies went on an Alabama style run and were perennial contenders then you would get the bandwagoners.

You make some good points BUT: for the 15 or so years Don Jame's coached teams were successful the Huskies were the more popular team.

AND: Seattle is NOT a city of transplants, there are admittedly a lot of new transplants but they are an added population not a replaced population. Many people that lived in the city limits have moved to the suburbs but we are talking about the greater Seattle region here.

And yes, there are many people that went to other schools but traditionally, outside of the inferiority complex Coug fans, they would still root for the Huskies when they were hot. It's just human nature.

As for the statement: "I doubt the Huskies will ever be bigger than the Seahawks, even if the hawks were terrible." we have already seen that scenario and it is not true. I am a 3rd generation Seattlelite and a 3rd generation Husky, obviously it's in my blood but I have seen how this plays out.

Someone mentioned that the Seahawk's would garner more attention if they were 5 and 9. Let me tell you what happens in THAT scenario:

1. When the Seahawks get to 5 and 7, the majority of Seahawks fans have given up on the season.

2. When they get to 5 and 9, Mariners Syndrome sets in and fans are resigned to their fate (and probably their future).

3. Beyond that, "Blue Friday" becomes "Who? Friday."

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The Don James era of the Huskies existed as the Seahawks were still climbing out of the era of "new franchise." we were all Huskies fans in the 70s and 80s, while the Seahawks were something new (and outside one year, not good)

One peaked while the other was still struggling. It's not comparable to today's culture. The NFL as while has grown leaps and bounds above every other sport.

Now... the Seahawks are a mainstay in sports culture. They replaced the Huskies a decade ago. That won't be undone. The NFL is king at the moment.

Husky fans should concentrate more on whether they can surpass the Sounders in terms of attendance and popularity at the moment.

Or, just enjoy the fact they are back in the national college spotlight again

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Team 2017 average attendance 2016 average attendance

Seattle Sounders FC 43,666 42,636

21: WASHINGTON HUSKIES

Average Attendance: 68,822
Total Attendance: 481,755
Stadium Name: Husky Stadium
Average 2017 home score: 44-14

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Is the Seattle of the early 90's the same as now though? It's changed dramatically and extremely gentrified, almost unrecognizable in certain neighborhoods.

I also wonder how much of the non student younger generations that latched on to huskies in the 90's when they were good versus later generations who never caught the bug during the mediocrity of most of the 2000's and up till Chris Petersen came.

Just like on the flip side I wonder how many fans latched on to the seahawks from younger generations that are life long fans now due to the Carroll era. On top of that the NFL has grown a ton in popularity over the last 2 decades.

I really do fear younger generations that don't go to games for whatever reason will miss out on getting the huskies due to the pac 12 network deal being so limited or games just being at stupid times.

Winning helps. Teams supporters hate admitting that there will always be a significant number of bandwagoners when the team is good but it happens, no one really wants to see a loser (although you will get exceptions).

Just like if the Mariners ever get good. The numbers will swell and you'll get people admitting they've been fans from day one who couldn't tell you about the team previously, mariners shirts showing up in work places etc.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2llyrsz7 said:
The Don James era of the Huskies existed as the Seahawks were still climbing out of the era of "new franchise." we were all Huskies fans in the 70s and 80s, while the Seahawks were something new (and outside one year, not good)

One peaked while the other was still struggling. It's not comparable to today's culture. The NFL as while has grown leaps and bounds above every other sport.

Now... the Seahawks are a mainstay in sports culture. They replaced the Huskies a decade ago. That won't be undone. The NFL is king at the moment.

This is how I see it. It makes sense that the Huskies were more popular in the 70s and 80s because The Seahawks were new and struggling to be good. Plus as you mentioned the NFL has continued to grow in popularity. Back in the 50s (and a little into the 60s?), college football as a whole was more popular than the NFL (so I've heard, I don't know the official stats or what that's based on). Then the NFL took over and has since gained a sizeable lead.

So as much as I'd love The Huskies to be the king of football in Seattle, they aren't, and they likely won't pass The Seahawks unless they start winning like crazy and The Seahawks really fall off for a number of years.

But who cares? One plays on Saturday (or sometimes Friday), The other plays on Sunday (or sometimes Monday or Thursday). Watch both.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Glasgow Seahawk":11od8di1 said:
Is the Seattle of the early 90's the same as now though? It's changed dramatically and extremely gentrified, almost unrecognizable in certain neighborhoods.

There's a certain amount of truth in what you say but remember, the Seattle region has grown in population. There has also been a certain amount of population distribution. If you are going by just neighborhoods within the city limits you aren't getting a completely accurate picture of the fan base. And remember, many of those "gentrified" neighborhoods are populated by us smug Husky alumni. Statistically, we earn more.

I also wonder how much of the non student younger generations that latched on to huskies in the 90's when they were good versus later generations who never caught the bug during the mediocrity of most of the 2000's and up till Chris Petersen came.

Valid point but the same could be said of the Seahawks during their mediocrity and what may become their new mediocrity.

Just like on the flip side I wonder how many fans latched on to the seahawks from younger generations that are life long fans now due to the Carroll era. On top of that the NFL has grown a ton in popularity over the last 2 decades.

Most Husky fans are life-long Seahawks fans too, that doesn't mean one won't be more popular than the other at different times.

I really do fear younger generations that don't go to games for whatever reason will miss out on getting the huskies due to the pac 12 network deal being so limited or games just being at stupid times.

This is a VERY strong point that you made before, the new game times and only allowing certain games to be televised on the Pac-12 network really limits their availability.

Winning helps. Teams supporters hate admitting that there will always be a significant number of bandwagoners when the team is good but it happens, no one really wants to see a loser (although you will get exceptions).

Agreed, and that's basically what I am talking about here. I never said that the Huskies were more popular, in fact just the opposite when I said it was TOO EARLY to proclaim that. I am also NOT saying that fans will, or should, reject the Seahawks if they aren't good, just that they won't be AS popular. You can already see it, in fact just go out in public today and tell me how many people are decked out in Seahawk's gear for Blue Friday. There has already been a significant decrease in enthusiasm.

Just like if the Mariners ever get good. The numbers will swell and you'll get people admitting they've been fans from day one who couldn't tell you about the team previously, mariners shirts showing up in work places etc.

And like I said, it's just human nature.

My dream scenario is that the Seahawks will win a Super Bowl in the same year as the Huskies win another national title. It's a Seattle thing.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":31eg51r1 said:

Husky fans should concentrate more on whether they can surpass the Sounders in terms of attendance and popularity at the moment.

Or, just enjoy the fact they are back in the national college spotlight again

Lol, so typical of Sounder's fans, most of whom reject mainstream sports because they either weren't good at them, weren't physically mature enough to play them, or just felt left out in general at school. They have banded together to proclaim their elite status playing, or celebrating, "the world's biggest sport", something that they can't seem to say enough. In America, it's the ultimate "participation" sport.

They kind of remind me of the old joke: "God created punk rock so ugly kids could be cool too."

:stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Lol?

I'm not a Sounders fan. I just know their popularity is big and growing. Average attendance for 4 home games over 20 is a frail line to cling to.

getting an understanding for those that watch is it important. For example, 212 million watched a premier league soccer match hours before 105 million worldwide watched the super bowl. A league match, one of over 50 games the participants played that year, drew double the viewers of the super bowls worldwide audience.

700 million watched the world cup final. They weren't all hipsters.

It's growing fast. And whether you believe it's merely a participation sport or not makes little difference in the shear volume of people who play it and spend money to watch it here in the US and particularly on the west coast.

It won't catch the NFL. But in cities like Seattle it will push other sports.

My dream scenario is similar to yours.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1zs900by said:
Team 2017 average attendance 2016 average attendance

Seattle Sounders FC 43,666 42,636

21: WASHINGTON HUSKIES

Average Attendance: 68,822
Total Attendance: 481,755
Stadium Name: Husky Stadium
Average 2017 home score: 44-14

What's total attendance of 43000 over 20-24 home games?

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Seattle 74 2,164,157 29,245 61.1

74 home games for 2018

2,164,157 total

Average 29,245

61.1%

Uncle Si

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":iv7b5k85 said:

74 home games for 2018

2,164,157 total

Average 29,245

61.1%

Lost me with that one.

Saying that Sounders have a consistent and large fan base in a sport that is growing in popularity by the day

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Well thank you for not taking it personal, it's almost impossible to get that around here. Of course I am being at least partially facetious (my last post) but....

Uncle Si":2fgnpglq said:
I'm not a Sounders fan. I just know their popularity is big and growing. Average attendance for 4 home games over 20 is a frail line to cling to.

I don't know what you are referring to here.

getting an understanding for those that watch is it important. For example, 212 million watched a premier league soccer match hours before 105 million worldwide watched the super bowl. A league match, one of over 50 games the participants played that year, drew double the viewers of the super bowls worldwide audience.

Again, this is just more of the "it's the biggest sport in the world" thing we have to hear over-and-over-again. I know I am speaking for other people but WE DON"T CARE.

Can't speak for other nation's fans but the American soccer fans I have seen are anything but "hipsters." I see a lot of techies going to the game and someone's comment about new transplants probably applies better here. The bigger question for me would be how many Americans watched it compared to the Super Bowl.

It's growing fast. And whether you believe it's merely a participation sport or not makes little difference in the shear volume of people who play it and spend money to watch it here in the US and particularly on the west coast.

I get that it's growing but it will always have a limited audience in America, we just aren't wired for the game.

Nobody in "other" sport's care and that isn't a statement of superiority, it's a statement of ambivalence. It will never reach the status of mainstream American sport's because it will never (or at least for a very long time) attract really elite American athletes. I have a good friend who is a big soccer fan and I tried and tried to appreciate the sport watching matches with him, I just couldn't get there (thank god there was alcohol involved). I admittedly don't have enough exposure to appreciate the nuances, but I think it really is not a very good spectator sport for Americans. Funny thing is, when we watched the European premier soccer teams the difference was startling, they are NOTICEABLY better. Still not enough so that I can maintain interest.

Cool.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Uncle Si":4cg5zf86 said:
KitsapGuy":4cg5zf86 said:

74 home games for 2018

2,164,157 total

Average 29,245

61.1%

Lost me with that one.

Saying that Sounders have a consistent and large fan base in a sport that is growing in popularity by the day

Sorry. That was for the Mariners. :34853_doh:

Sounders

13 games

40,706 Average

529,180 total

43,666 average in 2017. So they went down this year.

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2018-mls-attendance/

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Seattle will always be a pro sports town. That goes for pretty much any major city. College sports are #1 in small towns. Nova has won two national championships in like 5 years and they probably are probably the third or fourth biggest team in Philly. USC and UCLA are an afterthought no matter how bad the Dodgers and Lakers are. Can anyone think of any major cities where the college teams are bigger than the pro teams?

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Hawk-Lock":n5hvccez said:
Seattle will always be a pro sports town. That goes for pretty much any major city. College sports are #1 in small towns. Nova has won two national championships in like 5 years and they probably are probably the third or fourth biggest team in Philly. USC and UCLA are an afterthought no matter how bad the Dodgers and Lakers are. Can anyone think of any major cities where the college teams are bigger than the pro teams?

For many years U.Miami owned that town

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":34mftjae said:
Well thank you for not taking it personal, it's almost impossible to get that around here. Of course I am being at least partially facetious (my last post) but....

Uncle Si":34mftjae said:

Again, this is just more of the "it's the biggest sport in the world" thing we have to hear over-and-over-again. I know I am speaking for other people but WE DON"T CARE.

Can't speak for other nation's fans but the American soccer fans I have seen are anything but "hipsters." I see a lot of techies going to the game and someone's comment about new transplants probably applies better here. The bigger question for me would be how many Americans watched it compared to the Super Bowl.

I get that it's growing but it will always have a limited audience in America, we just aren't wired for the game.

Nobody in "other" sport's care and that isn't a statement of superiority, it's a statement of ambivalence. It will never reach the status of mainstream American sport's because it will never (or at least for a very long time) attract really elite American athletes. I have a good friend who is a big soccer fan and I tried and tried to appreciate the sport watching matches with him, I just couldn't get there (thank god there was alcohol involved). I admittedly don't have enough exposure to appreciate the nuances, but I think it really is not a very good spectator sport for Americans. Funny thing is, when we watched the European premier soccer teams the difference was startling, they are NOTICEABLY better. Still not enough so that I can maintain interest.

Cool.

You may not be wired for it, but i'd suggest with rising interest in the sport, and particularly the much, much better English, German and Spanish leagues that are now available on major networks and easily streamed they are becoming a viable challenge to all sports except the NFL

The audience isn't limited by anything but product, as you noticed. 110,000 went to watch two English teams play an exhibition with most of their best players on leave at the Big House in Michigan. id say a very small percentage were english ex pats from Manchester or Liverpool.

Those were American soccer fans primarly located in the upper midwest alone. That's the draw.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":1xpth2rz said:
DomeHawk":1xpth2rz said:

Cool.

You may not be wired for it, but i'd suggest with rising interest in the sport, and particularly the much, much better English, German and Spanish leagues that are now available on major networks and easily streamed they are becoming a viable challenge to all sports except the NFL

The audience isn't limited by anything but product, as you noticed. 110,000 went to watch two English teams play an exhibition with most of their best players on leave at the Big House in Michigan. id say a very small percentage were english ex pats from Manchester or Liverpool.

Those were American soccer fans primarly located in the upper midwest alone. That's the draw.

Okay whatever, I get it, you have soccer disease.

Did you see the Dr Pepper commercial in the Auburn LSU game?