Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
The signing has littler to no impact on any other players future with the team. If Djimi is out after this year its due to his performance and age...not this signing.

This is a player who hasn't had a club in over 12 months with an injury history leading him to miss the majority of the previous 3 seasons.

It's another one of the Sounders reclamation signings along the lines of Pineda, Rosales and Johnson. I'd be surprised if he see's much of the field this year.

Protect list could look pretty interesting for the expansion draft. Each team gets to protect 11, an a 12th if one was selected. I'm curious what yours looks like if you are worried about them being available for being drafted. Obviously the first 5 are no brainers, Dempsey, Martins, Alonso, Marshall, and Evans...but who are your remaining 6?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Marshall, Gonzalez, Evans, Ozzy, Dempsey, Martins, Barrett, Pineda, Neagle for versatility, Pappa and the way he has been playing lately Rose.

Not fussed about Frei, I think we can get better out there.

Yedlin is gone already.

Scott will stay regardless, I think he would retire if he was re assigned. Not fussed at this point about Anibaba or Traore.

I think Cooper is gone, he can't get in the team at the moment other than as a right mid.

Haven't seen enough for the rest of the squad other than Remick who I would like to keep but i doubt we would need to protect him.

I hope we don't sign a 4th DP till after this draft though.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":gppobmip said:
SeatownJay":gppobmip said:
Sigi's starting the JV lineup tonight.

And they will pay for that decision with a loss.

They did. Sigi and his stupid tinkering with the lineup each game will cost the Sounders the supporters shield. That doesn't excuse the defense for not showing up to play.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1x7amdff said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1x7amdff said:
SeatownJay":1x7amdff said:

They did. Sigi and his stupid tinkering with the lineup each game will cost the Sounders the supporters shield. That doesn't excuse the defense for not showing up to play.

Y'all kidding me right?

That was a good line-up call after going 120 on tuesday. Of our road trip this was the least important of the three games.

Win in Dallas and we come home with a trophy and 3 points out of 6. Not bad for a road trip. In a perfect world I'd like to have gotten a point but it just wasn't in the cards. I applaud Sigi for his line up call.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3dch13pf said:
Marshall, Gonzalez, Evans, Ozzy, Dempsey, Martins, Barrett, Pineda, Neagle for versatility, Pappa and the way he has been playing lately Rose.

Yedlin is gone already.

Scott will stay regardless, I think he would retire if he was re assigned. Not fussed at this point about Anibaba or Traore.

I think Cooper is gone, he can't get in the team at the moment other than as a right mid.

Haven't seen enough for the rest of the squad other than Remick who I would like to keep but i doubt we would need to protect him.

You are honestly going to protect a 34 year old Left Back? Why!?

Agree with the call to protect Rose. Rest of your list looks solid.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Obviously I would've loved to come out with a win or a draw in that match, but I'm totally cool with Sigi resting our important guys. The match was pretty unimportant in the big scheme of things as Smurf has pointed out, and I like to see guys like Remick get more experience.

Also, if nothing else, the match just reiterated the point that we have some serious work to do with our defense this offseason.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Smurf":11wa0a0z said:
hawkfan68":11wa0a0z said:
CurryStopstheRuns":11wa0a0z said:
SeatownJay":11wa0a0z said:

Y'all kidding me right?

That was a good line-up call after going 120 on tuesday. Of our road trip this was the least important of the three games.

Win in Dallas and we come home with a trophy and 3 points out of 6. Not bad for a road trip. In a perfect world I'd like to have gotten a point but it just wasn't in the cards. I applaud Sigi for his line up call.

Every game is a cup final right now, we can't throw games away. I feel LA have our number so we need as big a cushion as possible. Make changes yes but be smart about them. Play Dempsey one half and Martins the next rather than two similar players in Cooper and Barrett. Don't mess about with the defense unless it's injuries. Defense is all about consistency, playing two different full backs and Traore was going to lead to mistakes and misunderstandings. At Yedlins age, he should be able to play a lot of games in a short space of time rather than the disaster that is Anibaba.

You only have to look at NY. They had a hard road trip midweek in the CCL. Played their starters, got the business done and got players rested.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Smurf":6hpqyifp said:
Glasgow Seahawk":6hpqyifp said:

Yedlin is gone already.

You are honestly going to protect a 34 year old Left Back? Why!?

Agree with the call to protect Rose. Rest of your list looks solid.

Experience. We need it, especially at the back until better/younger players come in. Scott must be due for retirement soon, same with Traore. Yedlins gone, I wish Anibaba was gone. There isn't a whole lot left in defense after that-maybe Evans at RB. Remick looks promising but is still a bit of an unknown.

If we are to replace these guys, it's probably going to be young guys from the academy or draft/trades given the cap. Would like to see the 4th DP spot spent on a quality central defender. They don't come cheap though as most of Europe want them as well.

If we had the cap room i'd buy down Ozzys DP status and get a quality DP winger as well but that's unlikely.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":l8tiu3lk said:
Every game is a cup final right now, we can't throw games away. I feel LA have our number so we need as big a cushion as possible. Make changes yes but be smart about them. Play Dempsey one half and Martins the next rather than two similar players in Cooper and Barrett. Don't mess about with the defense unless it's injuries. Defense is all about consistency, playing two different full backs and Traore was going to lead to mistakes and misunderstandings. At Yedlins age, he should be able to play a lot of games in a short space of time rather than the disaster that is Anibaba.

You only have to look at NY. They had a hard road trip midweek in the CCL. Played their starters, got the business done and got players rested.

Winning all of our remaining games is unrealistic (and thats exactly what treating it like a cup final means).

Dropping points is going to happen. It's an unfortunate reality. The biggest thing is WHO we drop points to. Dropping points to NYRB is not nearly as significant than it is to drop points to FC Dallas.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3u923dji said:
Experience. We need it, especially at the back until better/younger players come in. Scott must be due for retirement soon, same with Traore. Yedlins gone, I wish Anibaba was gone. There isn't a whole lot left in defense after that-maybe Evans at RB. Remick looks promising but is still a bit of an unknown.

If we are to replace these guys, it's probably going to be young guys from the academy or draft/trades given the cap. Would like to see the 4th DP spot spent on a quality central defender. They don't come cheap though as most of Europe want them as well.

If we had the cap room i'd buy down Ozzys DP status and get a quality DP winger as well but that's unlikely.

Seems like a wasted spot to be honest. He is probably closer to retirement than Scott is, and has difficulties remaining fit. There are better, more valuable players we can protect (Frei, Remick, Cooper).

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":s02dxq7f said:

Isn't Anibaba a central defender? Sigi's got him playing right back in games. Maybe he's just not comfortable there. He's still young so he may be able to pull it together.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Looks like we are collapsing again at this stage of the season. I can't help but feel the players lost a bit of hunger after winning the Open Cup. So damn pissed off that we blew such high point leads and games in hand this season. Fed up with it every year.

The lack of depth in defense is worrying going into the play offs. Traore is a sieve and cost us those two goals.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Only was able to catch the second half, but yikes. Outside of Neagle's goal (holy crap) there wasn't a lot to be happy about.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Subpar road trip by the Sounders. They are losing ground to the Galaxy. That was some awful goalkeeping by Frei. Especially that last goal by Perez. That should have been a save. I'm surprised that Frei is among the leaders with 8 clean sheets however he has given up 44 total goals (one of the worst in the league). So he gives up goals in bunches.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/stats/seas...G&op=Search&form_id=mls_stats_individual_form

I hope they release or leave him unprotected for the expansion draft in the offseason. They can find a better GK.