Source: Seattle trying to trade Michael Bennett

AgentDib

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":382tomlw said:
The problem with a post-June 1st cut is the cap space saved in 2018 by declaring him so is not available for the team to spend at the start of free agency (March 12th)... instead, it's not available until June 1st, by which time the cream of the UFA crop have already been signed elsewhere.
That's not a problem with the amount we are talking here. Rookie contracts will probably cost us about 5.6m assuming we trade down a normal amount, and we'll probably have at least that much overhead to handle late veteran FA / cut downs / injury overhead. It's also money we could use for an extension for any of our guys with a single year remaining.

I'm not suggesting that we should do that, only that they would do that if the rationale for this was clearing up 2018 cap space.

u0087966

Reaction score
I hope the Hawks keep him. Although $2miilion is a lot for me, that's not much in the NFL. Hold onto him, pay him and hope that the plantar fasciitis issue gets resolved.

Does his offside calls get frustrating? Yes. Does his attitude get frustrating? Yes.

His play on the field and locker room presence at this time is what matters.

getnasty

Reaction score
He's worth ever bit of the money, I just think he's to much of a headache for the coaching staff.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Trading veterans is pointless because they're worth more to us than what we can get for them on the trade market. The best we'll get is a 6th rounder and that's basically just giving away a productive player for free, since we're not gonna draft anyone remotely as good as him with that 6th rounder. Same goes for Sherman, ET, etc.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Would you trade Bennett straight up for Bruce Irvin?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Lots of folks failing to recognize how many snaps Bennett played last season while hurt. Lots of folks failing to recognize how productive he was at creating pressure on the opposing QB.

He’s still a top quality DE, bet the team gets a much higher pick for him if he is traded than many would settle for. Suspect he won’t be traded and will be back to wreck havoc on opppsing QBs.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I am a fan of Michael Bennett the football player. If his injury has healed (and that's a BIG if) then I would be willing to see what he can do this year for what we would have to pay him.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I don't see us getting enough trade value for it to be worth it money wise. Our DL depth would look pretty shaky without Mike B. We'd have Frank, Dion, Jarran, Naz, possibly Sheldon, maybe QJeff and maaaaaybe Malik. That doesn't look good, Clark is the only proven pass rusher in that group, especially since Sheldon tapered off in the sack department the past couple of years. We'd have to draft or sign a significant contributor to make up for the Mike B loss, and that's very unlikely IMO.

rcaido

Reaction score
Won't this be a contract year for him? If he plays great we might get a comp pick the following year. I love Bennett as a player and I appreciate what he is trying to do outside football.

I thought he played great last season despite his injuries.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
WmHBonney":2u78kj6x said:
I am a fan of Michael Bennett the football player. If his injury has healed (and that's a BIG if) then I would be willing to see what he can do this year for what we would have to pay him.
:2thumbs:
What he did with one good foot was pretty damn good..

original poster

Reaction score
rcaido":3r88ncos said:
Won't this be a contract year for him? If he plays great we might get a comp pick the following year. I love Bennett as a player and I appreciate what he is trying to do outside football.

I thought he played great last season despite his injuries.

No, he's signed through 2020 so another 3 seasons.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of the players who could be cut this year wouldn't affect 2018 much but would give a huge amount of cap space in 2019 (I think something like 100 million under the cap?). Wondering if the FO feels this season will be a 'do the best you can' and then really go hard at the 2019 season.

That said, getting a 6th round pick for MB doesn't make much sense. He was still very productive with one leg last year. If they can get a stable of pass rushers so he doesn't need to play 80% of the snaps, I think we could see him get 10+ sacks.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I think the writing is on the wall that MB won't be a Seahawk next year. He basically said it himself after the season that they want to get younger. Now the team has said he's available for trade. He will either be cut or traded. At this point a 6th rounder for him is at least something.

Boycie

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2ns2ys0k said:
Personally, I am tired of his act... it's grown old real fast.

Oh yeah... there's the constant offsides penalties as well.

Bye Michael.

This^

This would be addition by subtraction. His act has gotten old.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
false narrative activism aside, he's going to be 33 this year. That why you trade him.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'll be real surprised if a trade happens.

They usually don't when it becomes public that a team is shopping a certain player.

original poster

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2ma5xq7k said:
I'll be real surprised if a trade happens.

They usually don't when it becomes public that a team is shopping a certain player.

Not so sure I agree with that.

Seymour

Reaction score
If it was all about winning this season, Bennett would not be getting shopped. It's clear it is not about winning now. It's about trying to right the wrong on the roster and draft as quick as possible IMO, and Bennett and his lack of discipline with penalties and mouth are an issue. Also I think Paul Allen does not like him talking about more $$ and contract stuff as much as he does and let Pete know that.