Source: Seattle trying to trade Michael Bennett

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3vyqzb4v said:
massari":3vyqzb4v said:
Bennett only has a $7.3m cap hit this season and a $8.7m in 2019. That is a huge bargain for a versatile DL who made the Pro Bowl this year playing with Plantar Fasciitis all season.

Please don't trade him for less than a 3rd round pick.

No team is forking over a 3rd for him. Not when they know he's likely getting cut.
This is what boggles my mind. Why in the world would they cut him? I know John Clayton has suggested it, but I honestly don't know of any reason to do it. He hasn't been arrested or anything and seems to get along with teammates (haven't heard otherwise) while playing at a Pro Bowl level making less than market value.

He's not going anywhere unless they get a fair return.

12forlife

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17ztxjwc said:
purpleneer":17ztxjwc said:
They need to reduce his snaps, some of it by the offense helping to reduce the snaps for the entire defense.

This is exactly what Pete and John are wrestling with.

Bennett can still be very effective going back to his 40-50% of snaps like he did in 2013-2014. But the last two years the depth hasn't been there on the D-line, so he's had to play 80-90% of the snaps...............which has led to being less effective and dinged up.

The problem is our depth is depleted even further with no McDowell, Avril and probably Richardson. Hard to rely on all these young guys to pick up the slack so Bennett can stay fresh and healthy.

Thus being shopped.

This is where I strongly disagree. This is how we have found ourselves in the position we are in. We have gotten old & stale. Is he productive, yes. At the same time I myself am wore out with his mouth & antics. He is 33 and coming off injury, and what he gives us in sacks, is a wash in what he costs us in offside penalties. This team in our salary cap situation can't afford 8.3 mil for 40% of snaps. We need to realize we are not SB contenders, and there are going to be some serious movement on this roster this offseason. So lets get the draft picks & FA's we need in place so they can start jelling & the experience in this system so in the next couple years we can be competitive again. Haven't seen it anywhere, but would love to see a Bennett / Martavis Bryant swap. sure it would cost us a little but if we let J Graham move on, we will badly need that big red zone target.

12forlife

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1wd3ncr1 said:
purpleneer":1wd3ncr1 said:
They need to reduce his snaps, some of it by the offense helping to reduce the snaps for the entire defense.

Bennett can still be very effective going back to his 40-50% of snaps like he did in 2013-2014. But the last two years the depth hasn't been there on the D-line, so he's had to play 80-90% of the snaps...............which has led to being less effective and dinged up.

The problem is our depth is depleted even further with no McDowell, Avril and probably Richardson. Hard to rely on all these young guys to pick up the slack so Bennett can stay fresh and healthy.

Thus being shopped.

This is where I strongly disagree. This is how we have found ourselves in the position we are in. We have gotten old & stale. Is he productive, yes. At the same time I myself am wore out with his mouth & antics. He is 33 and coming off injury, and what he gives us in sacks, is a wash in what he costs us in offside penalties. This team in our salary cap situation can't afford 8.3 mil for 40% of snaps. We need to realize we are not SB contenders, and there are going to be some serious movement on this roster this offseason. So lets get the draft picks & FA's we need in place so they can start jelling & the experience in this system so in the next couple years we can be competitive again. Haven't seen it anywhere, but would love to see a Bennett / Martavis Bryant swap. sure it would cost us a little but if we let J Graham move on, we will badly need that big red zone target.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
12forlife":3s7el8yi said:
Sgt. Largent":3s7el8yi said:
purpleneer":3s7el8yi said:

Thus being shopped.

Strongly disagree with what?

I didn't say keep him, I fully understand trading Bennett if we can get a decent pick back. Don't think it'll happen, but my explanation is why he's being shopped.

And no way the Steelers trade for Bennett, they have even less cap space than us.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":10rf3klp said:
"Bring in some young guys"

What young guys?

They suck at bringing in young guys.

That is the problem.

Not sure how getting rid of productive 'old' guys helps, because they would have just kept $18M worth of salary cap so they could overspend on unproductive 'other' guys. We are TERRIBLE when it comes to paying decent money for decent FAs. And we haven't been great at the draft....so how is getting rid of productive players going to help us again?

Yeah, drafting Clark was such a mistake. :sarcasm_off:

Better to cut ties with him now. His act has grown old, and so has he. Theyll draft a couple good passrushers this year, and everything will be fine.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Cyrus12":23afb55g said:
Think we will be lucky to get a 7th rounder.

lol no. If a team realized the Hawks were getting ready to trade him for a 7th I guarantee a team would come calling saying we will give you a 6th. That could possibly trickle all the way down to a 4th.

mrt144

Reaction score
Steve2222":3g6nk1fv said:
Cyrus12":3g6nk1fv said:
Think we will be lucky to get a 7th rounder.

lol no. If a team realized the Hawks were getting ready to trade him for a 7th I guarantee a team would come calling saying we will give you a 6th. That could possibly trickle all the way down to a 4th.

You have to factor in that the market probably isn't 31 or even 5 other teams.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
He’s still playing well. His salary isn’t that high. But I don’t expect the interest to be there to make it worth our while.

It would be nice if the FO could find a way to avoid the tabloid drama and speculation. I don’t think it’s good for team morale.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
First, Clark is one of the few successes out of a whole lot of misses.

And even he disappears for games at a time. You want to guess that without Bennett to worry about his performance is going to drop?

Clark is pretty good, not a world beater by any stretch. Certainly not a top 5 at his position guy or even top 10.

But sure, he worked out for us as a pretty good player. Without Bennett he will get worse though.

2nd, according to the NFL players, Bennett is a top 50 player.

Some of Bennett's detractors vocally calling for his removal appear to be so-called fans that are upset with him because he hurt their feelings, as if their feelings mattered. But on the field he contributes more than he costs. Which is all that matters.

So if we move those ridiculous voices from the running, we get people that want to get younger and get cheaper. But we haven't been able to consistently find good players in the draft at all. And most forays into FA have been spotty at best. Given that, how does removing him rectify anything when whatever he cost would just be wasted somewhere else?

Hendo66

Reaction score
Looks like a 4th is the ceiling after the Quinn deal. Quinn is 4 years younger so probably a 5th or worse.
Not so good.

mrt144

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2a9gvlv5 said:
So if we move those ridiculous voices from the running, we get people that want to get younger and get cheaper. But we haven't been able to consistently find good players in the draft at all. And most forays into FA have been spotty at best. Given that, how does removing him rectify anything when whatever he cost would just be wasted somewhere else?

It's similar to the dilemma at OL - no track record of success yet imperative to shuffle out the deadweight and give opportunities to new people, yet how can you trust that those new people will rise up given the previous track record.

I'm not so down on the DL turning out productive players, certainly we haven't landed a world beater like Aaron Donald, but as far as scouting aptitude by unit goes, the DL could fare a ton worse than they have with new talent injections.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Hendo66":28rx9j4b said:
Looks like a 4th is the ceiling after the Quinn deal. Quinn is 4 years younger so probably a 5th or worse.
Not so good.

I would not give up Bennett for a 4th. The failure rate is way too high at that stage in the draft.

getnasty

Reaction score
This is more about him being a distraction because as a player he's worth the price tag. I keep him and just save him for passing downs, he's played a ton of snap over the years but hopefully with Clark, Naz, Reed, Smith, Jordan, Jefferson and Jackson we'll have a decent rotation. If somehow you could throw Sheldon and Malik to that list then you have great depth.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":q1oszylc said:
Chapow":q1oszylc said:
I just don't see how anyone in their right mind can think that losing Michael Bennett will be anything but a detriment to this team. He's still a damn good player and any replacement will likely be a downgrade. Probably a significant one.

It's the same mindset behind why we're shopping Earl and Sherman.

- We have holes all over the roster
- We're now in one of the most competitive divisions in the NFL
- We have no 2nd or 3rd round picks

So how do you cut cap, replace picks and get younger to compete? You trade players with value.

It stinks that Pete and John swung for the fences last year by compromising our cap and trading away draft picks. But that's where we're at, so it's going to take some hard unpopular decisions to reload.

Because no one in their right mind think going 9-7 WITH these players is going to be better in 2018 having ONE high draft pick and no cap space to fill gaping holes all over the roster.

The problem is that we're in an unsustainable position because we've lost the ability to draft quality players. It was going to come down to this eventually in the next few years because it's impossible to field a good team while consistently whiffing in the draft.

It's like a company taking on more and more debt to repay past debt, while not generating enough revenue. Eventually you go bankrupt.

massari

Reaction score
rjas77":53oggn72 said:
Ok..lets take this a little further. Explain to me how one team could send so many players to the Probowl yet not even make it to the Wildcard round. Bennett's a team cancer...make an example of him...shyt can his azz even it we get nothing in return.
Injuries, bad coaching/play calling, no run game, bad ST's, Blair Walsh ect..

rjas77

Reaction score
massari":3eoz04qr said:
rjas77":3eoz04qr said:
Ok..lets take this a little further. Explain to me how one team could send so many players to the Probowl yet not even make it to the Wildcard round. Bennett's a team cancer...make an example of him...shyt can his azz even it we get nothing in return.
Injuries, bad coaching, no run game, Blair Walsh ect..

uh huh....and yet so many made it to the probowl yet as a team sat out for the playoffs. *hint* Eagle's had the same injuries yet took home the Lombardi. Nuff said

rjas77

Reaction score
But hey...The Redskins didn't make the playoffs either so at least the Seahawks are in good company

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
STAY ON TOPIC HERE!!!

No off field stuff

No political stuff

No F bombs and no attacking other posters

If you need to talk about the non football stuff, take it to PM's or another message board. It doesn't belong here. It will be deleted.