Source: Seattle trying to trade Michael Bennett

JustTheTip

Reaction score
original poster":s7d4p486 said:
rcaido":s7d4p486 said:
Won't this be a contract year for him? If he plays great we might get a comp pick the following year. I love Bennett as a player and I appreciate what he is trying to do outside football.

I thought he played great last season despite his injuries.

No, he's signed through 2020 so another 3 seasons.

Isn't that about the time he started threatening holdouts with his last contract?

Own The West

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":hjtixhil said:
onanygivensunday":hjtixhil said:
Personally, I am tired of his act... it's grown old real fast.

Oh yeah... there's the constant offsides penalties as well.

Bye Michael.

This^

This would be addition by subtraction. His act has gotten old.

I forsee a lot more discipline at the LOS this year with the new staff in place, so those offsides should plummet.

As far as his activism: he's outspoken, so you take the good with the bad. Didn't you love him on the Real Rob report? Or when he took a victory lap on that bicycle after the NFCCG? Then don't complain when he talks about things that don't please you.

He's always shown up and played 100%, even when hurt, not happy with his contract, you name it. The fact that he's still an affordable pro bowl talent is lucky for us -- especially since we're a year or two from having depth at that position.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Seymour":3kw1h7vd said:
If it was all about winning this season, Bennett would not be getting shopped. It's clear it is not about winning now. It's about trying to right the wrong on the roster and draft as quick as possible IMO, and Bennett and his lack of discipline with penalties and mouth are an issue. Also I think Paul Allen does not like him talking about more $$ and contract stuff as much as he does and let Pete know that.

I believe that Pete and John are looking at this like its 2010/2011. Its time to build/rebuild/load whatever you want to call it, this team back up. The good news is, they are much farther along in that build now than what they had in place then. There are some veteran cornerstones in place that they didn't have the luxury of then...Wilson, Wagner, Wright, Earl(?),...
The bad news is, we probably will go into the season with much lowered expectations than what we have had the past few years.

Boycie

Reaction score
Own The West":2nphmr2a said:
Ace_Rimmer":2nphmr2a said:
onanygivensunday":2nphmr2a said:

Bye Michael.

This^

I forsee a lot more discipline at the LOS this year with the new staff in place, so those offsides should plummet.

As far as his activism: he's outspoken, so you take the good with the bad. Didn't you love him on the Real Rob report? Or when he took a victory lap on that bicycle after the NFCCG? Then don't complain when he talks about things that don't please you.

He's always shown up and played 100%, even when hurt, not happy with his contract, you name it. The fact that he's still an affordable pro bowl talent is lucky for us -- especially since we're a year or two from having depth at that position.

No. I was more fired up from Sherman that game.

The only time I like Bennett is when he is getting after the QB. I could do without all the other stuff, but that's just me I guess.

mrt144

Reaction score
It's time. He's older, coming off an injury, has a sizable chunk of salary.

Will miss his spirit when gone though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":bp2rrpfy said:

While I agree, 8.3M isn't a lot for a versatile player like Bennett who could still contribute at a high level for another 2-3 years.................especially with how thin we are right now at DE.

With no McDowell, Bennett, Avril and probably Sheldon? Woof, that is one thin position group. It'll just be Frank Clark being double teamed every game.

Bottom line for me, if this was before last year when we had Sheldon and Avril healthy? I'd be OK with trading Bennett. But now? I don't know man, that leave a gaping hole on our D-line.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2cvqotm9 said:
mrt144":2cvqotm9 said:

While I agree, 8.3M isn't a lot for a versatile player like Bennett who could still contribute at a high level for another 2-3 years.................especially with how thin we are right now at DE.

With no McDowell, Bennett, Avril and probably Sheldon? Woof, that is one thin position group. It'll just be Frank Clark being double teamed every game.

Bottom line for me, if this was before last year when we had Sheldon and Avril healthy? I'd be OK with trading Bennett. But now? I don't know man, that leave a gaping hole on our D-line.

That's true, but one Michael Bennett just marginally changes the depth picture. The other mark against trading Bennett now is that his foot injury could diminish compensation - if this were merely to dump salary okay, fine, we get a late 3rd or a mid 4th and look on how to use that salary and draft pick to potentially shore up the DL or do a little shell game and use another earlier pick there (and just hope they aren't an ATV enthusiast).

It just sucks that so much stuff is coming to a head simultaneously. Makes it really hard to reconcile a good balance between short term and long term.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The big problem is the Carroll and JS have not demonstrated they can replace players with above average replacements.

And while some of our key guys are aging, there is nothing to expect that whatever they replace them with will be better. In fact, by track record over the past few years, it would not be surprising to see the replacements be significantly worse.

And Michael Bennett at 70% is still better than an average replacement.

More concerning will be that likely to fill this hole we have to find an FA and then will likely end up paying 75%+ of whatever we saved to get a less productive alternative.

If this is a solution to be able to save money to be able to afford Richardson, maybe. But is that even an option?

If we lose Bennett and Richardson, our ability to pass rush is going to be severely hampered. So Wilson better learn how to win shootouts then (which he has shown he can do when we give him the chance).

I don't understand how weakening our defense when our offense will have to relearn everything is going to help us. But I stopped being surprised by puzzling moves from this FO a while ago.

I am really hoping they find they cannot trade him and decide they have to keep him. We need him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":1sb77mv2 said:
Sgt. Largent":1sb77mv2 said:
mrt144":1sb77mv2 said:

That's true, but one Michael Bennett just marginally changes the depth picture. The other mark against trading Bennett now is that his foot injury could diminish compensation - if this were merely to dump salary okay, fine, we get a late 3rd or a mid 4th and look on how to use that salary and draft pick to potentially shore up the DL or do a little shell game and use another earlier pick there (and just hope they aren't an ATV enthusiast).

It just sucks that so much stuff is coming to a head simultaneously. Makes it really hard to reconcile a good balance between short term and long term.

Yep, and the fact that the team publicly floated that Bennett's up for trade is not a good sign. That usually means a there's no market and the player might be released............last ditch effort to drum up some interest.

Which makes sense, still three years on Bennett's deal. No reason any team would give up any significant pick for that.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Good riddance. He never should've got that latest extension.

Bring in some young guys

purpleneer

Reaction score
I understand the willingness to consider it based on the cap situation they've built and how DL is the where the best looking youth is, but I wouldn't trade unless for substantial value and I wouldn't consider a cut. They need to reduce his snaps, some of it by the offense helping to reduce the snaps for the entire defense.

adeltaY

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":g6cxm2en said:
The big problem is the Carroll and JS have not demonstrated they can replace players with above average replacements.

And while some of our key guys are aging, there is nothing to expect that whatever they replace them with will be better. In fact, by track record over the past few years, it would not be surprising to see the replacements be significantly worse.

And Michael Bennett at 70% is still better than an average replacement.

More concerning will be that likely to fill this hole we have to find an FA and then will likely end up paying 75%+ of whatever we saved to get a less productive alternative.

If this is a solution to be able to save money to be able to afford Richardson, maybe. But is that even an option?

If we lose Bennett and Richardson, our ability to pass rush is going to be severely hampered. So Wilson better learn how to win shootouts then (which he has shown he can do when we give him the chance).

I don't understand how weakening our defense when our offense will have to relearn everything is going to help us. But I stopped being surprised by puzzling moves from this FO a while ago.

I am really hoping they find they cannot trade him and decide they have to keep him. We need him.

Great post. We also have no proven RBs and the line has proven to be crap so I don't see Wilson winning us many shootouts.

edogg23

Reaction score
The Seahawks really screwed up their cap last year! Imagine if they didn't give Bennett and Kam those extensions last year. We would be looking at getting comp picks for both of them (if Kam plays) and would have probably about 18 million more in cap room right now.

This is why I am yelling from the roof tops don't extend Earl this year. If you want to sign him do it after the season. There is too much risk in extending these aging vets before their contracts are up. Why do you think Earl has said he doesn't see himself playing out his final year of his deal? He knows there is way to many things that can go wrong and it is to HIS ADVANTAGE to sign an extension now. Not the teams.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
purpleneer":icryfa59 said:
They need to reduce his snaps, some of it by the offense helping to reduce the snaps for the entire defense.

This is exactly what Pete and John are wrestling with.

Bennett can still be very effective going back to his 40-50% of snaps like he did in 2013-2014. But the last two years the depth hasn't been there on the D-line, so he's had to play 80-90% of the snaps...............which has led to being less effective and dinged up.

The problem is our depth is depleted even further with no McDowell, Avril and probably Richardson. Hard to rely on all these young guys to pick up the slack so Bennett can stay fresh and healthy.

Thus being shopped.

Chapow

Reaction score
Jerhawk":207r41y1 said:
Good riddance. He never should've got that latest extension.

Bring in some young guys

Ace_Rimmer":207r41y1 said:
onanygivensunday":207r41y1 said:

Bye Michael.

This^

This act?

[youtube]fOM98vOIiWw[/youtube]

Apparently his colleagues, the ones he competes against every Sunday, still think he's one of the best. Sorry, but I'm going to have to give their opinions a whole lot more weight than those of fans whose feelings are hurt for some reason over his "activism".

I just don't see how anyone in their right mind can think that losing Michael Bennett will be anything but a detriment to this team. He's still a damn good player and any replacement will likely be a downgrade. Probably a significant one.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
"Bring in some young guys"

What young guys?

They suck at bringing in young guys.

That is the problem.

Not sure how getting rid of productive 'old' guys helps, because they would have just kept $18M worth of salary cap so they could overspend on unproductive 'other' guys. We are TERRIBLE when it comes to paying decent money for decent FAs. And we haven't been great at the draft....so how is getting rid of productive players going to help us again?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":3rtfbhoo said:
I just don't see how anyone in their right mind can think that losing Michael Bennett will be anything but a detriment to this team. He's still a damn good player and any replacement will likely be a downgrade. Probably a significant one.

It's the same mindset behind why we're shopping Earl and Sherman.

- We have holes all over the roster
- We're now in one of the most competitive divisions in the NFL
- We have no 2nd or 3rd round picks

So how do you cut cap, replace picks and get younger to compete? You trade players with value.

It stinks that Pete and John swung for the fences last year by compromising our cap and trading away draft picks. But that's where we're at, so it's going to take some hard unpopular decisions to reload.

Because no one in their right mind think going 9-7 WITH these players is going to be better in 2018 having ONE high draft pick and no cap space to fill gaping holes all over the roster.

B3ASTxM0D3

Reaction score
This bum isn't worth a 7th. just cut his ass and get away from that cancer

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
B3ASTxM0D3":22187nan said:

Cause you're only saving 3M in cap, Bennett's dead cap hit is over 5M.

So you'd be better off taking the 7th and getting rid of the entire 8M.

IMO we'd take a 3rd for Bennett, but from the sounds of it no one's even interested. Now you know why NE trades players at the top of their game, and doesn't wait until it's too late.

B3ASTxM0D3

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1czs6otj said:
B3ASTxM0D3":1czs6otj said:

Cause you're only saving 3M in cap, Bennett's dead cap hit is over 5M.

So you'd be better off taking the 7th and getting rid of the entire 8M.

IMO we'd take a 3rd for Bennett, but from the sounds of it no one's even interested. Now you know why NE trades players at the top of their game, and doesn't wait until it's too late.

I mean I see your point. Obviously there is value in any kind of draft pick we can get back. I just want him gone lol