Contract
In House infighting
Media issues
Trades

There is always a distraction.

...8.5 sacks...

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'm not against trading him for the right reason and for the right price, but what is this infighting or locker room drama that's being thrown around? I've seen nothing to suggest that there have been any locker room problems. The people that seem to have the most problems with him are certain Seahawks fans. Can the locker room claims be clarified with any legitimacy?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1ckm02is said:
I'm not against trading him for the right reason and for the right price, but what is this infighting or locker room drama that's being thrown around? I've seen nothing to suggest that there have been any locker room problems. The people that seem to have the most problems with him are certain Seahawks fans. Can the locker room claims be clarified with any legitimacy?

There's never been any locker room drama with Bennett between his coaches and teammates. They all love him.

chris is obviously throwing in some protest hyperbole and thinking that's playing into why the team is shopping him. Which IMO isn't true, Bennett's being shopped because he's one of a handful of players that has trade value in order to restock this year's draft.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1kctken3 said:
vin.couve12":1kctken3 said:

There's never been any locker room drama with Bennett between his coaches and teammates. They all love him.

chris is obviously throwing in some protest hyperbole and thinking that's playing into why the team is shopping him. Which IMO isn't true, Bennett's being shopped because he's one of a handful of players that has trade value in order to restock this year's draft.

I suppose if you consider something like a 4th or 5th round pick for a pro bowl DE "trade value" then yes.

But since to most people that is piss poor value for what you are giving up, I would disagree. Either way, I'm tired of mouth, drama and penalties, let him go for nothing if you have to.

original poster

Reaction score
Dion Jordan will be the Michael Bennett replacement and will become an absolute star in Seattle.

Book it. Wouldn't even be surprised if they lock him up long term this offseason rather than an original round tender.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3kkptwsd said:
Sgt. Largent":3kkptwsd said:
vin.couve12":3kkptwsd said:

I suppose if you consider something like a 4th or 5th round pick for a pro bowl DE "trade value" then yes.

But since to most people that is piss poor value for what you are giving up, I would disagree. Either way, I'm tired of mouth, drama and penalties, let him go for nothing if you have to.

I disagree.

31, still productive and three years left on a team friendly contract. That should be more in the multiple picks range, maybe a 3rd and 5th, or 3rd and later pick next year kind of deal.

But make no mistake, Bennett needs to be on a team with a deeper line rotation than we have. We can't have him playing 80% - 90% of the snaps and expect him not to wear down and get dinged up..............and if we don't have the depth so he's only playing 50-60% of the snaps? Then trade him.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It would seem to me that people who don't want to take the good with the bad in terms of what players say, should take that up with the NFL that literally contracts players to talk to the media, contractually has them go out for ceremonies at games, etc.

Either they shouldn't do it at all or not have to, or people simply need to grow up and realize that people have differences of opinion. If you want them to go out there like robots and just say the norm PC speak, which is to say nothing at all, then why bother? It's only OK that people talk if you agree with them or read the comcast customer service lines?

If they aren't a caustic or cancerous entity to peers or employment structure then there is no case. Furthermore, if the player can provide ample ROI with their contract status then the case is also moot. Also, if jettisoning the player doesn't net a clear gain (draft pick round) over losses (dead money) then the case is once again moot.

I would suggest that if you're making a case for locker room disposition, that you provide some semblance of evidence as grounds. This is not a case of video evidence of a player smearing a teammate or openly soliciting themselves to another team while under contract. These things aren't even in the same galaxy. If you're going to act like there's some principle to it then you need to be principled yourself. Or not.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
7.3 - 5.65 = $1.65 Million gain on the cap.

$5.65 Million is still paying for absolutely nothing.

Now, what are the paying rates for the first year of a 5th or 6th round draft pick and subtract that from the $1.65 million gain against the cap. Then, what does that 5th or 6th round pick net you in terms of productivity? Is that a net gain over the cap savings for this particular year?

Who man's the position next year? Many are assuming Jordan, which is perfectly sane, but there's still a gamble there. What other alternatives are there? How certain are you that this whole scenario positively affects the Seahawks' chances of winning a superbowl next year?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1jm7ftwo said:
Seymour":1jm7ftwo said:
Sgt. Largent":1jm7ftwo said:
vin.couve12":1jm7ftwo said:

I disagree.

31, still productive and three years left on a team friendly contract. That should be more in the multiple picks range, maybe a 3rd and 5th, or 3rd and later pick next year kind of deal.

But make no mistake, Bennett needs to be on a team with a deeper line rotation than we have. We can't have him playing 80% - 90% of the snaps and expect him not to wear down and get dinged up..............and if we don't have the depth so he's only playing 50-60% of the snaps? Then trade him.

I seriously doubt that myself. I would be shocked if they got multiple picks in that range.

That said, I would be thrilled to be wrong and do hope you are closer then I am.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1q8uxklp said:

Now, what are the paying rates for the first year of a 5th or 6th round draft pick and subtract that from the $1.65 million gain against the cap. Then, what does that 5th or 6th round pick net you in terms of productivity? Is that a net gain over the cap savings for this particular year?

Who man's the position next year? Many are assuming Jordan, which is perfectly sane, but there's still a gamble there. What other alternatives are there? How certain are you that this whole scenario positively affects the Seahawks' chances of winning a superbowl next year?

No way I'd trade Bennett for only a 5th or 6th rounder.

I'm sure Pete and John are taking the same trade stance on Bennett as they are with Sherman and Earl. It's gotta be worth our while or we're not trading them, or him.

And for Bennett my guess would be a team would have to offer at least a 3rd..........and that's fair. He's still good and still has a manageable contract.

I also am worried that with him gone it leaves our D-line in a bad situation. You better trust Clark and the rest of the young players to produce.

But the downside of keeping Bennett is he repeats last year, VERY productive in the first half and slowly declines as his body wears down playing too many snaps.

So either keep Bennett and beef up the D-line even more so he's not playing 80% of the snaps, or trade him so we at least get a pick to try and find a good young player to replace him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ti3bwb8 said:
vin.couve12":3ti3bwb8 said:

It was not about Bennett specifically, we have had Sherman, in the Media, we have had guys get DUI's or arrested for intoxication Moffat, Lynch, Hill, we have had guys accused of Domestic Violence, we have had infighting distractions, Tate / Wilson, Baldwin / Harvin, Clark / Ifedi. Then we have Trades, Cary Williams caused a bunch of dissent, then hold outs Kam.

You have distractions every year, so saying the team was not going to have distractions is really just wanting to burn Bennett at the stake, stick that up your Hyperbole.

Seymour

Reaction score
vin.couve12":11pymjuq said:

SB chances next year LOL? Nobody in their right mind holds much hope for that IMO. With or without Bennett.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We better hope the whole Jordan thing pans out if we take this route.

Sure he has been productive in flashes but he also had guys like Bennett in there taking some of the attention of the blockers, and he hasn't been playing 80% of the snaps either.

And while Clark has flashed in some games, he hasn't been consistent in every game.

People are going to realize just how important Bennett was the moment he is gone.

As for the off the field stuff?

I honestly don't care what he does off the field. Ray Lewis killed someone, but the Ravens were lucky to have him on their team. Nobody cares. So clearly hurting a few peoples' feelings should be way way down the list of priorities on whether you want someone on the team. You want someone on the team that makes the team better, period.

The obvious takeaway here though, is that removing Bennett makes us worse. And I am not sure a few extra draft picks is going to fix that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":14yjhuqj said:
Sgt. Largent":14yjhuqj said:
vin.couve12":14yjhuqj said:

It was not about Bennett specifically, we have had Sherman, in the Media, we have had guys get DUI's or arrested for intoxication Moffat, Lynch, Hill, we have had guys accused of Domestic Violence, we have had infighting distractions, Tate / Wilson, Baldwin / Harvin, Clark / Ifedi. Then we have Trades, Cary Williams caused a bunch of dissent, then hold outs Kam.

You have distractions every year, so saying the team was not going to have distractions is really just wanting to burn Bennett at the stake, stick that up your Hyperbole.

Exaggerating your point with zero facts about their being locker room drama is hyperbole.

Not one player or coach has said Bennett, or any player has been an issue in the locker room. If you have proof, please offer it up.

I get what you're saying, but Bennett or any player being a locker room distraction is your baseless opinion. btw, I tend to agree with you, I'm tired of the distractions and nonsense to, I'd like to get back to concentrating on football.

But that's also my opinion. There's no proof.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Seymour":2g9u6m1s said:
vin.couve12":2g9u6m1s said:

SB chances next year LOL? Nobody in their right mind holds much hope for that IMO. With or without Bennett.
Hope has nothing to do with it. Plan for it, set markers for it, set goals for it, but hope won't play a part.

NJlargent

Reaction score
No one is going to give multiple picks for Bennett and his drama. He is still a decent DL but this team needs to get young and hungry. Let him go.

Seymour

Reaction score
vin.couve12":11twaj5c said:
Seymour":11twaj5c said:
vin.couve12":11twaj5c said:

Hope has nothing to do with it. Plan for it, set markers for it, set goals for it, but hope won't play a part.

That is exactly what we did last year. How did that turn out?

Terrible and hamstrung the team.

Unrealistic goals can kill a team if you "think you are close" and you gamble to get there. We now are going to live and pay for that decision.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Ok so after I said all that other stuff, let's get some other clarity: What is the ongoing prognosis for the plantar fasciitis for a 31 year old? Was it a bone spur that caused it or was it inflammatory? Was surgery involved?

Can he pass a physical for trade purposes? Clearly, the team royally screwed that up with Lane, which is near inexcusable since he's on your own damn team. Remember, Pete said he hadn't talked to Mike in a while.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Seymour":h17k87e3 said:
vin.couve12":h17k87e3 said:
Seymour":h17k87e3 said:
vin.couve12":h17k87e3 said:

That is exactly what we did last year. How did that turn out?

Terrible and hamstrung the team.

Unrealistic goals can kill a team if you "think you are close" and you gamble to get there. We now are going to live and pay for that decision.
I wouldn't say that at all. I just happened to previously post an example of front office stupidity that was well within their control. The Seahawks FO got stupid and desperate. That's not in any way what I'm talking about.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NJlargent":1wwjbb3o said:
No one is going to give multiple picks for Bennett and his drama. He is still a decent DL but this team needs to get young and hungry. Let him go.

This team needs to get GOOD. Not young and hungry. Good.

Young and hungry is one possible way to do that. But young and hungry doesn't automatically equal good. This Seahawks defense was young and hungry in 2011 as well as 2013. I think people forget that, and seem to think that 2013 was their first year on the field or something.

Other teams are going to judge Bennett by his value to their team, rather than letting their judgment get clouded by his personal activism as so many fans are doing.