Specifically, what's so great about Philly's defense ?

eaglesrule

Reaction score
Hawks46":zbhkhee1 said:
I'm hearing and reading stuff about how they're built to defend us. So I wonder, outside of their pass rush, what's so great about their defense ?

Also, I know they give up 107.7 rush yards per game (which is good for 12th) but how many ypc on average do they give up ?

I don't care about yards, I care about points. And looking at that defense, they don't impress me.
They've given up:

34 points to Washington. Really ?
21 points to Houston.
28 points to the Rams
21 to Carolina
24 to the Titans

The ones I cherry picked were the worst offenses in the league, many of this to backup QBs. Sure, they only gave up 10 points to Dallas, but Romo was obviously not right in that game. Color me not impressed at the moment.

I agree - gross yardage is meaningless when comparing team stats. I think that the Seahawks D is the best in the league...looking at the numbers.

Defensive yards per play.
Rushing
Seahawks 4th 3.5
Eagles 8th 3.9

Passing
Seahawks 8th 6.2
Eagles 12th 6.9

Turnovers Forced/game
Eagles 6th 1.8
Seahawks 18th 1.5

Sack %
Eagles 2nd 8.59
Seahawks 27th 4.93

3rd Down Conversion%
Eagles 10th 38.07
Seahawks 15th 40.94.

RedZone
Eagles 15th 56.25
Seahawks 28th 64.52

----------------------------

Looking at these stats, you could make the argument that the Eagles D has played better than the Seahawks D this season (note I said played better, not actually better). Gross yardage stats will never favor the Eagles D in that an Eagles game is 'longer' than the average game. Since the gross yardage stats are how the press rates usually ranks things, the perception is that the Eagles D is weak...

...and yes, the opposite is true, the Eagles O is not as good as the gross yardage stats would have you believe.

Largent80

Reaction score
Stats are useful for some comparisons but it doesn't reflect the way the team is CURRENTLY playing.

Hawks have given up 6 total points in the last 2 games, and they also have left a TON of points in the red zone.

Boycie

Reaction score
Largent80":1cvy9uh3 said:
Stats are useful for some comparisons but it doesn't reflect the way the team is CURRENTLY playing.

Hawks have given up 6 total points in the last 2 games, and they also have left a TON of points in the red zone.

I was thinking the same thing. The Hawks are getting hot at the right time! Being a team that thrives in the 4th quarter, it's funny how we are picking up momentum in the 4th quarter of the season. Everything feels right!

sutz

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":2byvb457 said:
Largent80":2byvb457 said:

I was thinking the same thing. The Hawks are getting hot at the right time! Being a team that thrives in the 4th quarter, it's funny how we are picking up momentum in the 4th quarter of the season. Everything feels right!
I don't think that is a coincidence (the bolded part).

:)

eaglesrule

Reaction score
Largent80":2jygpwa7 said:

True, but keeping in that what have you done for me lately mindset....

the prev two games, you have given up 6 points, against:
49ers - before you, the 49ers were averaging 16.5 pts over the prev two games vs the juggernaut Giants and Redskins.
Cardinals playing with a backup QB, scored 18 vs the Falcons.

Point is, your D has played great...against bad Offences...lets see how it does in Philly.

The eagles also leave a ton of points in the RZ. 25th worst RZ% in the league over the last 3 games...you guys have been 27th the last 3.

also, another we are winning in spite of.... stat We are 9 and 3 in spite of giving the ball away more than any other team in the league. 2.3 times a game. The other teams giving it away 2 or more times - Giants, Oakland, Jaguars, Bucs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Eagles D is like the Oregon Duck D, they take advantage of their offense getting out ahead of teams which makes the other team's offense predictable...........which is why they get a lot of turnovers and sacks.

So are they a talented defense? No, not particularly. But they do fly around and make plays because after their offense gets out ahead they can start intelligently gambling on what the other team's going to do.

So if there's one thing the Hawks can't do on Sunday, it's fall behind early and force Russell to throw a lot.

eaglesrule

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ruvkwon said:
The Eagles D is like the Oregon Duck D, they take advantage of their offense getting out ahead of teams which makes the other team's offense predictable...........which is why they get a lot of turnovers and sacks.

So are they a talented defense? No, not particularly. But they do fly around and make plays because after their offense gets out ahead they can start intelligently gambling on what the other team's going to do.

So if there's one thing the Hawks can't do on Sunday, it's fall behind early and force Russell to throw a lot.

You are ignoring three things.

Our tempo O, puts the D on the field more than any other team.

We have blown up a lot of teams, then given up a ton of garbage time yards/points. I dont have the numbers, but it seems to be much more than average.

Our defensive and ST scores has also put the D on the field more than average. Against the 49ers it was unreal. They had the ball almost the entire first half, and we had the lead. We also had a tired D and seemingly out of synch O.

-----

Dont take this as insulting to the Seahawks - just trying to fight the myth that the Eagles defence is bad...overall, it has been better than our O.

Largent80

Reaction score
eaglesrule":c4d0codj said:
Largent80":c4d0codj said:
Point is, your D has played great...against bad Offences...lets see how it does in Philly.

Not disrespecting the rest of your post BUT the defense looks VERY similar to last years version and that version DEMOLISHED the best offense in NFL history in the biggest game.

Just sayin'.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37of30vb said:

Well our defense does the same thing and Philadelphia getting ahead and forcing the other team to pass a lot is pretty much the recipe to beat any NFL team Wilson being no exception. I wouldn't be surprised if we fall behind by 7 or possibly 10 at the very first and we will reel them in just like any other team. I don't bet on them jumping to such a lead but it wouldn't shock me. You know they are going to be up for the game and it's in Philadelphia so all we have to do is weather that first 5 minutes and start pounding the rock until they collaspe.

eaglesrule

Reaction score
Largent80":3o6f5t6c said:
eaglesrule":3o6f5t6c said:
Largent80":3o6f5t6c said:

Not disrespecting the rest of your post BUT the defense looks VERY similar to last years version and that version DEMOLISHED the best offense in NFL history in the biggest game.

Just sayin'.

yes you did. If that was just talent then you would have demolished more teams this year. yes you have a great D, but a dismantling like that is much 'any given Sunday' as anything....

you guys might win Sunday, we might win, should be a great game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
eaglesrule":1x25vuu5 said:
Dont take this as insulting to the Seahawks - just trying to fight the myth that the Eagles defence is bad...overall, it has been better than our O.

There are reasons for everything, and certainly the Eagle's D being on the field more than most defenses and lots of garbage time points and yards given up has contributed to the unit being ranked only 24th overall in team defense.

My point was if you look across the Eagle's D, it's not filled with pro bowlers. I see a lot of good players, but not a lot of great players. But that doesn't mean they don't play well as a unit, Davis has done a good job.

Largent80

Reaction score
eaglesrule":1k7ex6id said:
Largent80":1k7ex6id said:
eaglesrule":1k7ex6id said:
Largent80":1k7ex6id said:

Just sayin'.

yes you did. If that was just talent then you would have demolished more teams this year. yes you have a great D, but a dismantling like that is much 'any given Sunday' as anything....

It is part scheme / part talent. The defense is built with the players we have in mind. We lost 3 players off of last years line, plus we have had injuries to role players ending up on IR, Our MLB, Wagner missed several games, we lost our slot CB, Lane for a bunch of games and in spite of having to use other teams practice squad players and cuts from other teams in the secondary we weathered that storm.

Now the Defense is healthy. Regardless of who you play and the stats they put up this year any team can beat any team, in other words "any given Sunday" has come to fruition.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
fef":2wxoyze1 said:
fef = female eagles fan. :th2thumbs: (wow, you guys have some cute emoticons)

In regards to best pass rushers - they come from everywhere so it's hard to say where to put extra help. If you put a TE there, they may come from the other side. We have 42 sacks so far this year. 24 1/2 of them are from Linebackers. After the first 5 games we had 11 sacks, and we have 31 total in the last 7 games. They are all swarming. I'm guessing Barwin may becharged with keeping up with Wilson.

Here is an article that was just recently put up on this - http://www.csnphilly.com/football-phila ... never-know
Cool info. Thanks for the link.

eaglesrule

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":6mzmicg7 said:
eaglesrule":6mzmicg7 said:

There are reasons for everything, and certainly the Eagle's D being on the field more than most defenses and lots of garbage time points and yards given up has contributed to the unit being ranked only 24th overall in team defense.

My point was if you look across the Eagle's D, it's not filled with pro bowlers. I see a lot of good players, but not a lot of great players. But that doesn't mean they don't play well as a unit, Davis has done a good job.

Lets go thru the starters - a lot are young that you might not of heard of.

Fletcher Cox - future (this year?) pro bowler
Logan Matthews - very good 2nd year player
Cedrick Thorton - good 3-4 DE
Connor Barwin - in a universe where JJWatt didnt exist, he would be talked about as defensive player of the year candidate.
Mychael Kendricks - young stud ILB. With Cox and Barwin as the best players on D.
Matthews - backup, filling in for IR'd Demeco Ryans
Trent Cole - aging guy, playing out of natural position. Still disruptive.
Bradley Fletcher - very average, and that might be an exageration
Cary Williams - good press corner. average in coverage.
Malcolm Jenkins - very good safety - best eagles safety since Dawkins
Nate Allen - average.

our front 7 is the strength, the backend of the D needs another offseason.

Largent80

Reaction score
Do you think your front 7 are comparable to say...AZ or SF? 2 teams that you lost to?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
eaglesrule":me6ndrzw said:
Sgt. Largent":me6ndrzw said:
eaglesrule":me6ndrzw said:

Connor Barwin - in a universe where JJWatt didnt exist, he would be talked about as defensive player of the year candidate.
Mychael Kendricks - young stud ILB. With Cox and Barwin as the best players on D.
Nate Allen - average.

Like I said, no pro bowlers.

You can explain away a lot, but 24th in total defense is 24th in total defense. Sorry, but looking at the Eagles wins and losses, I don't see very many wins against quality opponents. The three best quality opponents, you lost......save for maybe the Colts. Who play in the worst division, so IMO they're overrated.

Will the Hawks roll the Eagles this weekend? Hell no, this should be a great game. But I'm not sold on the Eagle's D, or offense for that matter. They've beat up some very bad teams, and lost to two teams that play very similar to the Hawks, Niners and Cards.

eaglesrule

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2fqy7qhb said:
eaglesrule":2fqy7qhb said:
Sgt. Largent":2fqy7qhb said:
eaglesrule":2fqy7qhb said:

Nate Allen - average.

Like I said, no pro bowlers.

You can explain away a lot, but 24th in total defense is 24th in total defense. Sorry, but looking at the Eagles wins and losses, I don't see very many wins against quality opponents. The three best quality opponents, you lost......save for maybe the Colts. Who play in the worst division, so IMO they're overrated.

Will the Hawks roll the Eagles this weekend? Hell no, this should be a great game. But I'm not sold on the Eagle's D, or offense for that matter. They've beat up some very bad teams, and lost to two teams that play very similar to the Hawks, Niners and Cards.

No probowlers? Dude, seriously?

Barwin is a lock. Fletcher Cox and Kendricks could both go but probably wont.

The pro bowl is a joke anyway.

They are only 24th in the 'dumb' stat of gross yardage. FO has them as the 8th best D - and that is a much more accurate assessment. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

in terms of our victories - I am struggling to understand why you want to go there. You have beaten two teams with winning records (one with their backup QB) We have beaten two good teams....dont see much of a difference there.

@Arizona, and @SanFran could of gone either way. Both games we were stopped late, 4th and goal from around the goalline....@GB killed us. This will be our first home game against a good team.

gulliver

Reaction score
At Oregon, Chip Kelly's offenses were all about speed and misdirection. That worked gangbusters in the PAC-12 which is not known for its D-line play, but he could never get past the teams with dominant D-lines that could get penetration (Stanford, LSU, Auburn).

In the NFL, it's much the same thing. His offense runs riot over teams with undisciplined defenders and marginal D-lines, but they still struggle with dominant defenses like ours.

It's the same year in and year out: put up pinball points against weak and marginal defensive teams, then s--- your pants when defenders spend all day in your backfield. Teams like Seattle, Arizona, SF, late season STL, and now Denver are bad matchups for them.

If you have the resources (as we do) to pound the rock, take the air out of the ball, control TOP and keep their offense off the field, you get them off their game plan and you can beat them anywhere. The whole first half of the season teams tried to do this to us--for Philly, it will be just as frustrating as us @KC watching us go 3-and-out, then watch them drive down the field for an 8-minute, 16-play TD.

I do NOT want to see us give up on the run, even though success may not come early, and start getting Bevell-cute instead. The key to stopping these teams is to suffocate them.

In boxing/MMA terms, they are a flyweight that wants to do flying armbars and exotic submissions. We are a heavyweight and we won't beat them at their game--we need to come out, rain down fists, and strangle the life out of them.

Largent80

Reaction score
gulliver":16l059mc said:
At Oregon, Chip Kelly's offenses were all about speed and misdirection. That worked gangbusters in the PAC-12 which is not known for its D-line play, but he could never get past the teams with dominant D-lines that could get penetration (Stanford, LSU, Auburn).

In the NFL, it's much the same thing. His offense runs riot over teams with undisciplined defenders and marginal D-lines, but they still struggle with dominant defenses like ours.

It's the same year in and year out: put up pinball points against weak and marginal defensive teams, then s--- your pants when defenders spend all day in your backfield. Teams like Seattle, Arizona, SF, late season STL, and now Denver are bad matchups for them.

If you have the resources (as we do) to pound the rock, take the air out of the ball, control TOP and keep their offense off the field, you get them off their game plan and you can beat them anywhere. The whole first half of the season teams tried to do this to us--for Philly, it will be just as frustrating as us @KC watching us go 3-and-out, then watch them drive down the field for an 8-minute, 16-play TD.

I do NOT want to see us give up on the run, even though success may not come early, and start getting Bevell-cute instead. The key to stopping these teams is to suffocate them.

In boxing/MMA terms, they are a flyweight that wants to do flying armbars and exotic submissions. We are a heavyweight and we won't beat them at their game--we need to come out, rain down fists, and strangle the life out of them.

Nice post. Maybe you should write a weekly "Gullivers Travels".

eaglesrule

Reaction score
gulliver":301kqimh said:

Yea I am fascinated to see how this matchup plays it's way out.

Latest posts