Spoon

hawkfan68

Reaction score
6 foot, 190. Isn't that normal sized for a DB?

Sherman was three inches taller, and only like 5 lbs heavier.
I saw him listed as 6'0 and 180 pds (if so that is trudging on Kelly Jennings weight territory). Not saying he'll turn out like Jennings but he's not the big CB that many seem to make him out to be. With that said, I hope his play is "big", who cares what size he is if he can make plays and impact the game in a positive way.

chris98251

Reaction score
Having lots of talent back there means we can let him heal and learn the ropes from vets and guys that come in like Sherm, he already seems very savvy, and playing mostly in the slot it's keying of formations and reads and reaction. Homework and film and how to read body language will be just as important and physical reps for him. He will get out there for spot plays a few weeks and then we will see what his real role will be.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Great pick, but still a rookie. Keeping expectations in check and hoping the organization isn't expecting him to be Kam reincarnated for a year or two, else he's going to get pretty banged up in no time.

toffee

Reaction score
Having lots of talent back there means we can let him heal and learn the ropes from vets and guys that come in like Sherm, he already seems very savvy, and playing mostly in the slot it's keying of formations and reads and reaction. Homework and film and how to read body language will be just as important and physical reps for him. He will get out there for spot plays a few weeks and then we will see what his real role will be.
Words of wisdom Chris!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Let us hope these hamstring issues are not chronic.

So far he not been on the field enough to have any of us form a fair opinion of his abilities though I'd expect for sure we won't be disappointed.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
How can you tell, we haven't even seen him on an NFL field yet.
in practice, in college, I guess, what I mean is, for the style he plays.. and it's very violent, he seems small... Adams comes to mind.. Looking back, so did the Boz

Last edited:

rjas77

Reaction score
Great pick, but still a rookie. Keeping expectations in check and hoping the organization isn't expecting him to be Kam reincarnated for a year or two, else he's going to get pretty banged up in no time.
Except he was the #5 pick

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Except he was the #5 pick
It doesn’t really matter where anyone was picked after the draft. Only how they perform. It is sunk cost. #5 or #50 doesn’t matter. If he makes the cutdown then he is expected to play at a high level regardless if #5 or UDFA. I don’t value him any more than any UDFA. If they buy in and perform then they are good. If not then they gone.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
And too, he will instinctually be drawing from Adams' 'get after it' play.
This is the NFL, so he will need to dial it back a skosh on the 'Let it all Hang Out Hits' if he want's to not be sitting on the sidelines nursing injuries, he's not playing with College competition anymore.
IF he's sidelined with owies' before even playing one snap in the Pros?
I trust that Pete will bring him along the right way...Would suck to see him on the PUP list for a year or two, and don't think I'm being overly pessimistic, just look at how many Rookies we have standing on the side-lines right now.

Last edited:

nanomoz

Reaction score
in practice, in college, I guess, what I mean is, for the style he plays.. and it's very violent, he seems small... Adams comes to mind.. Looking back, so did the Boz
That's fair. He is small for how physically he plays. I'm not sure this hamstring thing is a result of that (I'm not precluding it), but it's something to keep in mind.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

From the tape I've watched, I'd say just the opposite. The speed, intuition and violence makes him play bigger.

But again. College isn't the NFL, so not sure how anyone can have either opinion until we see him in real games.

People are just frustrated and grasping at negative hot takes.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
From the tape I've watched, I'd say just the opposite. The speed, intuition and violence makes him play bigger.

But again. College isn't the NFL, so not sure how anyone can have either opinion until we see him in real games.

People are just frustrated and grasping at negative hot takes.
Play bigger? yeah he does.. so did Boz and his career was cut short. I guess you can call it a generalization, but you play bigger, the chances are your going to get hurt more.. college and NFL is not the same game. I really like the pick and hope I'm wrong and only time will tell.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Play bigger? yeah he does.. so did Boz and his career was cut short. I guess you can call it a generalization, but you play bigger, the chances are your going to get hurt more.. college and NFL is not the same game. I really like the pick and hope I'm wrong and only time will tell.
I would agree. The Seahawks saw enough in his college tape to make him the #5 over all pick. He'll be very good, but he needs to adjust to the speed and size of the NFL. So many rookies come in to the NFL and throw their bodies around, only to realize, these aren't East Carolina players they are going up against. I think that's what happened to Dee Eskeridge.

Earl Thomas (5'10" 202#) threw his body around, but he was very stocky. Bob Sanders(5'8" 206#)did the same, but he wasn't very big, and his career was shortened, Still, Sanders won Defensive MVP for his play.

'Spoon (6'0" 180#) is a lot lighter, but i think he will use his brain to diagnose, and break up plays, while protecting himself.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Ever heard the old saying "it isn't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog that counts".
I think his natural ability and playing style will make up for a lot of missed reps. The thing he really needs reps for is to acclimate to the difference in play level and speed of the opponents he will be facing. He'll be fine of he can stay healthy.
I still think we should have taken the chance on Carter.

GemCity

Reaction score
It doesn’t really matter where anyone was picked after the draft. Only how they perform. It is sunk cost. #5 or #50 doesn’t matter. If he makes the cutdown then he is expected to play at a high level regardless if #5 or UDFA. I don’t value him any more than any UDFA. If they buy in and perform then they are good. If not then they gone.
Respect your opinion but firmly disagree. A Top 5 picks has expectations attached.

Personally, I think he’s going to be a monster on the field. Not worried at all.

But I expect a Top 5 player to not only pan out but, make an immediate impact.