Steelers vs Browns: TNF

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kidhawk":26a7w6lu said:
Where are you seeing that Mason Rudolph was banned for the year? Everything I've seen says they expect no more than a large fine for his involvement.
See my reply a few posts later. ESPN posted a mis-print. He's not suspended at the moment, but damned sure needs to be.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1h0uu9yy said:
ESPN misreported that Rudolph was out for the season here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191115171 ... s-steelers

That's an archive of the time it was taken (I believe it is London time). But now if you see the original link, it says something totally different:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/280 ... 3-game-ban

Corrections used to get made in old-school newspapers, but now no one bothers. Flushed down the memory hole unless you archive it. Which you can by going to web.archive.org and navigating to the right to "save page now."

Archives can't be faked the way screenshots can, but companies increasingly are finding ways around them.

I saw that when it was originally posted, and anyone with the ability to read in context could tell it was merely a hurried error and that they were talking about Garrett the entire article. So someone could have glanced at the article and misinterpreted it, but it's a real stretch to claim they were reporting it incorrectly.

Also, I asked mainly because it was stated that it was being reported later that Rudolph was also suspended, and that article was, AFAIK, amended fairly quickly and was put out immediately upon word of the suspensions originally.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kidhawk":8vs3lbjx said:
So someone could have glanced at the article and misinterpreted it, but it's a real stretch to claim they were reporting it incorrectly.
What are you talking about? ESPN is a worldwide authoritative sports news source. It's absolutely correct to say they reported something incorrectly, if it was in an article on their site, and it wasn't correct.

The concept of accountability is just completely disappearing in this world...

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
ITA, but dude they are actual journos, not just commentators on a rando board.

I understand how things like this happen. The other day, I said "Staley" in a post here when I meant "Kittle." Marv came in to say nicely that I screwed up. I acknowledged it. What I didn't do was hit the "edit" button and pretend I never said that. If I did do that, I'd expect the admins to bounce me from the board.

And that's the standard for just a random Seahawks fan, not someone being paid big bucks to provide content to the largest sports news site. I don't expect them to meet my standard--I expect them to exceed it.

They should have run a correction especially as they're where most people go to for sports news. Running an updated story with the updated facts is not a correction, it's them trying to slime out of making one to avoid embarrassing the reporter/copy editor/editor.

kidhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3r3gxq8v said:
kidhawk":3r3gxq8v said:
So someone could have glanced at the article and misinterpreted it, but it's a real stretch to claim they were reporting it incorrectly.
What are you talking about? ESPN is a worldwide authoritative sports news source. It's absolutely correct to say they reported something incorrectly, if it was in an article on their site, and it wasn't correct.

You made your post saying it was reported later. That article was never LATER, that article was the first article reporting that Garrett was suspended and was edited shortly thereafter, so as far as I can find anywhere online, there was no delayed report of Randolph being banned, thus I asked you about it.

As for accountability, ESPN made in error rushing to be the first to report and they corrected it. I'd say that correcting it quickly is accountability.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":10xjvayn said:
ITA, but dude they are actual journos, not just commentators on a rando board.

I understand how things like this happen. The other day, I said "Staley" in a post here when I meant "Kittle." Marv came in to say nicely that I screwed up. I acknowledged it. What I didn't do was hit the "edit" button and pretend I never said that. If I did do that, I'd expect the admins to bounce me from the board.

And that's the standard for just a random Seahawks fan, not someone being paid big bucks to provide content to the largest sports news site. I don't expect them to meet my standard--I expect them to exceed it.

They should have run a correction especially as they're where most people go to for sports news. Running an updated story with the updated facts is not a correction, it's them trying to slime out of making one to avoid embarrassing the reporter/copy editor/editor.

Online articles need to be updated and edited to be correct. You don't just leave the article with the incorrect information and make a note about it after the fact. That would be way more confusing. There is no comparing actual articles that are meant to inform with an opinion on a message board.

kidhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":zk64hj5c said:
kidhawk":zk64hj5c said:
Where are you seeing that Mason Rudolph was banned for the year? Everything I've seen says they expect no more than a large fine for his involvement.
See my reply a few posts later. ESPN posted a mis-print. He's not suspended at the moment, but damned sure needs to be.

That had been pointed out in this thread hours before your post....and corrected in their original article prior to your post. Thus my confusion at how there was ever a "delayed" report of him being suspended.

sc85sis

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2fow3y78 said:
Screw the NFL if they don't suspend Rudolph as well.
This I agree with. Although Garret tackles him to the ground unnecessarily, Rudolph tried to pull Garrett’s helmet off and then followed him to the end zone. He should get a game suspension and a nice big fine.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I don't really understand the team fine for the Steelers.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":3n432sfk said:
RolandDeschain":3n432sfk said:
kidhawk":3n432sfk said:

You made your post saying it was reported later. That article was never LATER, that article was the first article reporting that Garrett was suspended and was edited shortly thereafter, so as far as I can find anywhere online, there was no delayed report of Randolph being banned, thus I asked you about it.

As for accountability, ESPN made in error rushing to be the first to report and they corrected it. I'd say that correcting it quickly is accountability.
that he

Strongly disagree.

ESPN is the largest sports news network. It is supposed to acknowledge errors by ACKNOWLEGING them, not just putting out an "update" that erases that error like it never happened.

Again, it'd be like me "correcting" the post in nation I made when I mixed up Staley and Kittle, then telling Marv that his correction was out of line, he didn't really see that, if I were "correctly" to edit it.

Everyone screws up. But when you screw up, you should just acknowledge it.

I

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
kidhawk":j6dsytob said:
RolandDeschain":j6dsytob said:
pmedic920":j6dsytob said:
chris98251":j6dsytob said:
Rudolph instigated it, was trying to remove and twist Garrets helmet kick him in the nutsack but hey he's their QB, nothing.

If nothing else I now know who I don't want with me walking thru Pioneer square or Belletown on this board.

You absolutely sure that Rudolph was the instigator?
Is it possible that he was reacting to the late unnecessary force of the initial hit, and being held to ground by Garrett’s body weight for an unnecessary length of time?
It was a delayed decision/announcement, but Rudolph just got banned for the rest of the year, too - so yeah, I'd say that's proof of his involvement, lol.

It was a mistake in the report.
They’ve recanted and corrected.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kidhawk":3jyoubr9 said:
RolandDeschain":3jyoubr9 said:
kidhawk":3jyoubr9 said:

That had been pointed out in this thread hours before your post....and corrected in their original article prior to your post. Thus my confusion at how there was ever a "delayed" report of him being suspended.
At the time, I had also seen a Tweet somewhere about it (not from ESPN) - which I then couldn't find again. I'm guessing it was deleted because it was based on the faulty ESPN claim.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1o5pc0ir said:
kidhawk":1o5pc0ir said:
RolandDeschain":1o5pc0ir said:
kidhawk":1o5pc0ir said:

that he

Strongly disagree.

ESPN is the largest sports news network. It is supposed to acknowledge errors by ACKNOWLEGING them, not just putting out an "update" that erases that error like it never happened.

Again, it'd be like me "correcting" the post in nation I made when I mixed up Staley and Kittle, then telling Marv that his correction was out of line, he didn't really see that, if I were "correctly" to edit it.

Everyone screws up. But when you screw up, you should just acknowledge it.

I

I agree that every time an article is updated, it should be as (a) separate paragraph(s) on the same page as the original, and any changes to the original should be noted, but it still is completely separate from a message forum and one has nothing to do with the other. This is just opinion site, and mistakes or even lack of knowledge of certain facts are to be expected.

kidhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2t683aeh said:
kidhawk":2t683aeh said:
RolandDeschain":2t683aeh said:
kidhawk":2t683aeh said:

At the time, I had also seen a Tweet somewhere about it (not from ESPN) - which I then couldn't find again. I'm guessing it was deleted because it was based on the faulty ESPN claim.

Thank you for actually responding to the question I asked. It was only your statement about it being reported later that made me question it as I could find zero reports of it later as you'd stated. I thought you might have been in error, but also know that I am not perfect and could have well missed it. I just wanted clarity as to where it was reported later. A tweet makes sense as twitter folks are also trying to be among the first to report stuff and thus there are tons of errors which get deleted later.

James in PA

Reaction score
The league won’t suspend the red-nosed reindeer for even a game. That’s the Stealers starting QB and with Little Ben already out for the year, the league needs to keep the Stealer fanbase interested. So, they decided to suspend Pouncey instead to save face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidhawk

Reaction score
After watching replays over and over, I'm now convinced that we all owe Garrett a huge apology. All he was doing was trying to help out by putting the helmet back where he found it. He might have succeeded too if not for those pesky Steelers in his way.

Osprey

Reaction score
HawkGA":31qgqqdg said:
I don't really understand the team fine for the Steelers.
Assuming the team fines were for the bench clearings and scrum.