Still the best in the NFC WEST

Marvin49

Reaction score
That's what it is going to take if y'all are forced to sign Jimmy G.

Purdy is facing Tommy John surgery, they are just putting lipstick on a pig right now, while waiting on second opinions. My post is written from that scenario. Even if he doesn't require the surgery, the chances that he will be an effective passer in 2023 are slim.

Let me ask you this. In the worst-case scenario that Purdy is out for 9 to 12 months, what do you think the Niners do? Roll with Lance and a scrap heaper/ true rookie, or will they pay the going rate for Jimmy G?

Either way, San Francisco went from one of the best QB situations in the league to one of the more challenging.

Brady will be around the 41 million mark, and Rodgers will probably demand more than that.

Everything changes if he needs Tommy John, but it really doesn't look like that's what's going on.

I'd be stunned tho if they go after Jimmy.

I'd bet right now that it will be Purdy, Lance, and either a cheap vet or a rookie draft pick.

chris98251

Reaction score
Probably roll with Lance initially get a street F.A. that has had good moments, wait for Purdy to see how he recovers and maybe draft late round guy. Future being if Purdy comes back like a Nolan Ryan recovery they have a Franchise guy maybe.

bileever

Reaction score
I am not surprised the 49ers were eliminated in the playoffs.

I was more surprised that they had won 13 games.

This 49er team under Kyle Shanahan is nothing more then a wannabe Champion.

I said earlier in the season that the 49ers would never win a Lombardi Trophy under Kyke Shanahan.

I still believe this. Kyle is a fraud. He is nothing more then a 2nd place Trophy.

I believe we as 49er Fans are stuck with 2nd place as long as Kyle Shanahan is in charge.

So much talent and it will be wasted by a little man with a huge ego.

He refused to aquire Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers because he didn't want the competition. Kyle wanted the credit.

He thought he could win with Jimmy G because Kyle believed the headlines.

WE ARE ****** until Kyle Shanahans contract runs its course.

Jed York doesn't have the balls to fire this guy thanks to the 49er fans who wanted to burn Jed York on the stake just a few years ago.

We are ******.
You're crazy. 49ers are lucky to have Shanahan, who is a real innovator and a football genius. I rue the day the 49ers hired Shanahan and the day the Rams hired McVay. We were so happy with Fisher and Tomsula. Remember Tomsula?

However, your time at the top, unfortunately, is coming to an end. It's too hard to sustain success over the long haul in the NFL. Eventually, you'll have to break the bank to sign Nick Bosa and a quarterback. And McGlinchey, if he doesn't sign somewhere else. McCaffrey is injury-prone at an injury-filled position. Your quarterback situation for 2023 is completely unsettled. Trent Williams will be 35 when the season starts. Lynch has missed on as many top picks as he's hit, and you don't have a first-round pick this year. You also lost Ran Carthon, your director of player personnel. On top of that, you just lost DeMeco Ryans. Yes, you survived losing Robert Saleh, but after a while, it gets to be too much. Seahawks fans know all about that, having lost Gus Bradley, Dan Quinn, Ken Norton, Scott McCloughan and John Idzik (among others) in a span of two years.

In the NFL, things change in an instant. Shanahan has had seasons where he's gone 4-12 and two where he was 6-10. He's great when he's got all the pieces, but when he hits an obstacle or two, things tend to fall apart. The Rams are a cautionary tale.

OP
OP
49ersNFCWsBest

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
I kind of feel bad for 49ers fans.
You shouldn't waste your energy on feeling bad for 49er fans.

You will need to save your energy for all the crying you Seahawk fans will do for the next 6-8 years. And I'm being polite.

The 49ers will be contenders for a couple more years now and most likely much longer.

The Cardinals are garbage. The Rams are just as bad. Good Luck with a Seahawk team that will lose Pete very soon.

I'm smiling now ☺️

Last edited:

FrodosFinger

Reaction score

You will need to save your energy for all the crying you Seahawk fans will do for the next 6-8 years. And I'm being polite.

The 49ers will be contenders for a couple more years now and most likely much longer.

The Cardinals are garbage. The Rams are just as bad. Good Luck with a Seahawk team that will lose Pete very soon.

I'm smiling now ☺️
You want to bet? Look at these cap hits lol

Torc

Reaction score

I'm smiling now ☺️
I understand why you can't wait for Pete to retire given that Kyle is 4-8 against the Seahawks as a head coach. But seriously? When do you think he's going to call it a career? Has he given notice of his retirement? Made any noises about being tired? Dude is gonna coach into his 90s. :p

You do have a coach. Too bad you don't have a QB.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
When Kyle said there was no thought to bringing back Jimmy G, he elaborated by saying that he pected Purdy and Lance back healthy for ot as and there was no need to bring “like five qbs“ to camp.

Even if both get healthy, they are less likely to stay that way, and Kyle experienced qb shortage before Philly. When JimmyG went down against Miami, there was no qb besides Purdy active as they had not promoted Eason From ps. Against Tampa, Purdy suffered a rib injury leaving only Johnson in the game. Shans plan was to pull Purdy in Seattle for Pain if it got too bad, potentially putting Johnson in again as their only Option.

They Need at least one More cheap guy on their roster who can play. Minchew, pjwalker, mason rudolph.

knownone

Reaction score
An interesting question few are asking is how a significant injury impacts a sleight guy who didn't have a cannon before the injury. Pitchers who suffered similar injuries saw a substantial drop in their throwing velocity.

94Smith

Reaction score
And 3 of the 5 are on the wrong side of 30 in 2023.
Arik and Kittle are just turning 30 this fall. I think that is reaching

Also as I mentioned before Kelce is 33 and guys like Cameron Jordan, Camero Heyward, Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, JJ Watt all were in the 33-34 year range and productive this year

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Arik and Kittle are just turning 30 this fall. I think that is reaching

Also as I mentioned before Kelce is 33 and guys like Cameron Jordan, Camero Heyward, Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, JJ Watt all were in the 33-34 year range and productive this year

Kyle needs to have three dressed qbs for every game. He is not seeing this with his talk about not bringing five qbs into camp. the third makes the roster, you put a fourth on ps Or at least have that option.

Torc

Reaction score
You realize 4 of 5 of those are all pros and one of those is DPOY
All the more reason you won't be able to hold on to all of them. Bosa is a UFA after next season, unless he signs what is expected to be the highest non-QB contract in the league.

Luckily, you don't have a large QB contract to worry about for a couple of years.

cap space for 2023:
49ers $13,508,847
Seahawks - $50,930,151

In 2023, the Seahawks have 4 picks in the top 52, including the number 5 pick. The 49ers have none in the first 98 (they have the 99 and 100 picks at the end of the third round). The Seahawks will pick 5 players (barring trades) before the 49ers pick one.

I'm assuming Jimmy G will head for greener pastures. I expect Purdy (who was impressive, for sure) to be out most of next year. I could be wrong, but it's what I expect. Trey Lance could be good, I think the jury is still out there - just not enough played time to have a good read on him. But a 55% completion percentage thus far in his career doesn't make me predict amazing things.

The 49ers could very well be better than the Seahawks next year, if they can get a QB both playing well and staying healthy. I wouldn't place large amounts of money on it - I think (and hope) the Seahawks are on an upward trajectory. But for the long term? If this upcoming draft class is even close to last year's class (and draft position would improve the odds there), we should see the Hawks fielding a very competitive team in 2023. And really, a couple of players in the right places to even get the defense to "average" and we'll see lots of battles for the NFC West over the next few years.