Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2fio2tkr said:
SomersetHawk":2fio2tkr said:
Mr Eristic at it again.

4/10 Must try harder.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Srsly though:

Two weeks ago the broncos defense held Tom Brady to a 56.4 QB Rating and got two turnovers out of him to go with 17 QB hits and 4 sacks.

In the SB they held Cam to a 55.4 QB rating and got three turnovers out of him to go with 13 QB hits and 7 sacks.

I see the same story in both games: a Broncos front 7 that is just dominate beyond belief. Brady and Cam both had really excellent seasons and both of them walked right into the buzzsaw of the Broncos front 7.

I know it's fun to trash Cam Newton, but I'm not just being contrarian. I seriously think the story here is a pretty straightforward one, and a celebration of the Broncos front 7 tells us much more of the story than laughing at Newton does.

In the end, the story will be about the Broncos D, absolutely no doubt. I think it will even overshadow Peyton.

However, for the moment, it is about Cam. He was the consensus MVP and was challenging the way fans are supposed to enjoy football (his words). He wanted this moment, and then retreated when it wasn't easy.

Brady was right there, in the end, the ball in his hands and a chance to win the game. Cam seemed out of it from the beginning.

Reaction score
Cam talked the talk but didn't walk the walk. That's why he's being talked about.

He had a bad game as far as I'm concerned. For an MVP who wishes to be the centre of attention when things are going well then he also needed to stand up when things are falling apart. He didn't. He went out very very meekly.

Brady was smashed just as much as Cam in the afc game, yet (as others have pointed out) he was there at the end leading his team down the field, scoring the touchdown that should have caused overtime. He fought until the end. Cam didn't.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
We all know Cam is talented. Immensely so.

The storyline has been: how will he react when everything isnt going his way? The narrative is and was that Cam is lots of fun when the times are good, but what about when they aren't?

He had a chance to prove last night that that label was undeserved.

Instead......

He is who we thought he was.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
“We don’t have to say nothing. We let them do all the talking. We let our pads talk. We talk with our helmets and our shoulder pads. They could do all the media talking, you know what I’m talking about? We’re not about that flashy stuff. We’re about that grind, putting in that work. Grind it. Work. That’s how you get the ‘ship,” safety T.J. Ward said. “They want to be famous. We want to be champions. They want to be rappers and backup dancers. We want to play football.”

Harris and Ward said they saw Newton’s demeanor change by late in the first quarter, after Broncos linebacker Von Miller sacked him and caused a fumble that was recovered for a Broncos touchdown.

Ward said Newton was pouting, and Harris said it was easy to read Newton’s body language that he was quickly growing discouraged

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /79995228/

Popeyejones

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1b9hq376 said:
“We don’t have to say nothing. We let them do all the talking. We let our pads talk. We talk with our helmets and our shoulder pads. They could do all the media talking, you know what I’m talking about? We’re not about that flashy stuff. We’re about that grind, putting in that work. Grind it. Work. That’s how you get the ‘ship,” safety T.J. Ward said. “They want to be famous. We want to be champions. They want to be rappers and backup dancers. We want to play football.”

Harris and Ward said they saw Newton’s demeanor change by late in the first quarter, after Broncos linebacker Von Miller sacked him and caused a fumble that was recovered for a Broncos touchdown.

Ward said Newton was pouting, and Harris said it was easy to read Newton’s body language that he was quickly growing discouraged

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /79995228/

They're doing a WHOLE LOT of talking for claiming that they just let their pads and helmets talk. :lol: :lol: :

Both of them have obviously earned the right to say whatever they want, but sore winners are really the only thing that I get moralistic about. Well, not even moralistic, I just find it super corny. If you won just be happy about it, guys. You should be too busy celebrating to still be trashing the team you beat. :D

Threedee

Reaction score
The point being missed is that Cam was going to look like that in defeat no matter what the circumstances were, because that's who he is. I'm glad everyone got to see him like that during and after the SB so they'll quit making excuses for how friggin' annoying he is.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Everyone has "that guy" in their group. "That guy" can dish out insults and laugh at others, but when you get a good one in on "that guy", he gets butthurt. Cam is "that guy". He can dish it out, but he can't take it. With their scheduled opponents next season, I bet we see a LOT more of "that guy" next season. Cam is still the same person he has always been.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rideaducati":2pymwmkv said:
Everyone has "that guy" in their group. "That guy" can dish out insults and laugh at others, but when you get a good one in on "that guy", he gets butthurt. Cam is "that guy". He can dish it out, but he can't take it. With their scheduled opponents next season, I bet we see a LOT more of "that guy" next season. Cam is still the same person he has always been.

Does Cam really dish out insults, though?

Personally, I see the same guy when he's winning and when he's losing: he's really exuberant and emotional when he's up, and he's really sullen and emotional when he's down.

I guess you could make the "Cool Joe" argument that a QB should be more even-keeled (fwiw I don't totally buy that), but I seriously don't see the "that guy" argument you're making.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":19u64n49 said:
rideaducati":19u64n49 said:

Does Cam really dish out insults, though?

Personally, I see the same guy when he's winning and when he's losing: he's really exuberant and emotional when he's up, and he's really sullen and emotional when he's down.

I guess you could make the "Cool Joe" argument that a QB should be more even-keeled (fwiw I don't totally buy that), but I seriously don't see the "that guy" argument you're making.

Look, Cam loves to win. And while I've never had an issue with his entertainment value that he brings to the game, he clearly gets under the skin of opponents. He clearly understands this and clearly has made many attempts to continue to grate his opponents. Whether we view this as exuberance or not, he does not shy away from making his celebrations about his opponents. That is an insult. He knows it is. I backed him in this because, hey...he's having fun.

Cam can do whatever he want. And in the greater aspect of things our opinion on it just doesn't matter. He doesn't have to answer to his critics and he certainly would let me personally down if he cared one bit what any opposing fan thought of him. (Why start now?)

But he does have to answer to his locker room and I'd be surprised if too many of them give him a pass on this. Not the interview (who cares), but his play on the field.