Super Bowl predictions

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I want to say Sea/Hou but I just don't trust Schuab to be good enough to elevate his game when it counts. So I guess I would go with Sea/Den but with that injury to their center not even that is a solid choice to me. Face it the AFC is a hot mess.

60niners

Reaction score
Thread Killer":2v5p99ld said:
Atlanta Falcons vs. Denver Broncos
I don't think Atlanta has what it takes to make it to the big game. They're paper tigers that cruise through a soft schedule and all of a sudden can't hang in the playoffs. Same could be said for Denver but the AFC lacks in the total number of powerhouse teams when compared to the NFC.

If Atlanta had to go to Seattle they would have lost that divisional game, or if they had to come to SF they would have lost the NFCCG by double digits.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Well, this got me thinking about how FO says homefield is worth 17% (and by my calculations, 10AM homefield east coast vs west coast is worth 30%), I worked up the entire 2013 schedule - yeah, totally bored today - based on last seasons ending DVOA.
NFC (in order)
Seattle
chicago
Wash
Caro
SF
GB

AFC
NE
Den
Cinci
Hou
Balt
Pitt

Super Bowl NE vs Seattle (we win of course)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie, when Football Outsiders proved last year that the Seahawks are the only team in the NFL with a real/additional/large home field advantage, it made me like them even more.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
volsunghawk":8fdyymhe said:
Lady Talon":8fdyymhe said:
SEA/DEN would be a good matchup, as far as sizing up the teams in preseason. I just don't trust Peyton one bit to actually get there without intercepting away a Divisional matchup.

SEA/CIN would be my pick, Houston has trouble with big games, NE is there so often it bores me, Peytons a playoff killer turnover machine, and I think Cincinnati could give us as competitive a game as the donkeys can.

I agree with your Houston comment. But that's about the last thing I agree with when it comes to justifying the Bengals in the SB.

NE being a "boring" choice doesn't change the fact that the Pats are a legit threat to make the SB from the AFC until Belichick strokes out or Brady's arm falls off.

Manning's definitely got a bad one-and-done record in the postseason, but it's not like Dalton has a better playoff record. Here are Dalton's stats in his 2 playoff games so far:

41 completions/72 attempts, 384 yards, 0 TDs, 4 INTs

You can talk about Manning's foibles, sure, but Dalton is even worse thus far, and he doesn't have Manning's talent, arm power, and head for the game to compensate for the miscues.

Unless the Bengals' offensive additions from the draft show up big time this year, I see Cincy as one-and-done - again.

Winning on the road in the playoffs is tough. If Cincy plays well enough to get a 1 or 2 seed, which isn't impossible in the AFC, considering the troubles of Pitt and Baltimore in their own division, then I wouldn't doubt their ability to win at home in the playoffs against any team in the AFC. Dalton may be underwhelming, but he has the pieces around him to pull it together, I used to doubt Eli Manning in much the same way.

All opinion anyway. I didn't say NE wasn't capable of going to and winning the next Superbowl. What I said was it bores me to pick them nearly every year, so I'm predicting different. We all have our biases.

Not trying to justify the Bengals in the AFC, I don't really care who wins it. If the Seahawks make it with their schedule, nobody in the AFC should scare them. They can still be outplayed in a Superbowl or any game but RW can keep our team competitive with anyone.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I'd love to see a Seahawks-Bengals game. I think the Bengals are right up there with SEA and SF in terms of physicality on defense, so it would be one of the most physical SB games played in a long time.

Also, it would be a matchup of two teams that have not yet won the big game. That's a pretty unique storyline you don't see often. The last time we had such a scenario was the Rams-Titans in 1999-2000. Prior to that, you had to go all the way back to 49ers-Bengals in 1981-1982. In my lifetime, it's happened just twice.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I don't think the AFC has a team good enough to go to the Super Bowl. So what the heck; Baltimore makes it back to the big game to get shown up by Seattle.

pmedic920

Reaction score
My preseason pick has been Seahawks and Texans. Well documented already. HOWEVER, for me, the Hawks beating Denver would be more satisfying. Go Hawks.

hawker84

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":2svlez2d said:
Seahawks or 49ers

vs.

Denver or Houston

Houston? with Matt Statue, err I mean Matt Schaub? don't think so. Cinci, or Denver me thinks.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
hawker84":1ywjkqiw said:
SoHo9erFan":1ywjkqiw said:
Seahawks or 49ers

vs.

Denver or Houston

Houston? with Matt Statue, err I mean Matt Schaub? don't think so. Cinci, or Denver me thinks.
If Houston stays healthy they can do it

Sac

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":1j8slljl said:
Seahawks over Colts

If the Colts make it to the Super Bowl and have to play the Seahawks we may witness Indy taking the worst beating in the games history.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Seahawks/Broncos. I just worry that the officials will pull a Bill Leavy and try to send Peyton Manning off into the sunset with a Super Bowl win.

Slightly off topic, but remember what it was like for a few years back in the 90s when the only thing that mattered was whether the 49ers or Cowboys would win the NFC Championship because it was a forgone conclusion that that team would win the Super Bowl? Wouldn't it be cool if the Hawks and Niners had a run like that for the next few seasons? (Especially if Seattle wins all the championship games?) :D

The Radish

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":gr1ljev5 said:
MANUNITED23":gr1ljev5 said:
Seahawks over Colts

If the Colts make it to the Super Bowl and have to play the Seahawks we may witness Indy taking the worst beating in the games history.

Worse than Niners versus San Diego?

That was back when I still was watching SBs.

Wasn't the spread for that game 45 points and the Niners covered it?

:les: