Tanner "Hands of stone" McEvoy

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":mbiv852j said:
I get to point out the obvious. ZERO excuse for dropping those passes.

If that is true, then there is also zero excuse for Wilson throwing high passes when the wet ball slips on him also. ;)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point :lol:

He really was off on Sunday. It's amazing how he can turn it on when the game is on the line.
Clearly the rain was a factor for both QB's, but I'm not sure we've seen a game where he throws as many passes in to coverage and/or over guys' heads.

Reaction score
Again, until last week, Tanner McEvoy has caught nearly every catchable ball that has been thrown his way.

Beyond being a tall receiver, McEvoy played QB, Safety and WR in college. He literally sees the field differently than other players because of this unique skillset - Go back and watch the ALL-22 for games he's played in. This unique skill set has literally translated to him finding holes in zones and getting behind coverage and being WIDE OPEN multiple times in his Seahawks career.

He's also a tough as nails blocker - if we want to be a smash mouth team that runs the ball a lot (and Pete always has wanted this) then we need guys who are going to get in there and not be afraid to throw blocks even if the play isn't designed to come to him. He's shown on the All-22 again and again that he does that.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Few things:

1. All receivers drop passes. That's just a fact that everyone has to concede. Even the best. It sucked for sure. Especially in a close game. But it happens.

2. McEvoy's hands are not the best. Even on his catches, he double catches with some regularity (the dropped TD was a double catch). He's not on the roster because of his sure hands. So we have to take him as is. He had a rough game. In a game that was uncomfortably close. He was not the only player to have a rough game though.

3. McEvoy shines in ST. And truth be told, that's kind of what you want out of your 5th WR. He is an athletic long player who basically made this team the moment we let Cassius Marsh go. They were dopplegangers of sorts. So he will be on this team this year.

The sample size hurts him in this case. He doesn't get a great many looks. And as a young player, it's not unreasonable to think the first drop got into his head. Drops tend to come in bunches. And this game was one of those for him.

I expect Seattle will continue to target him when the defense dictates he's the correct read. It'll be interesting to see going forward if he can shake off this game. If not, I would wonder aloud if David Moore may not be plan B. Moore demonstrated very reliable hands throughout camp. And is a physical (albeit less so than McEvoy) prospect.