Austin Seferian-Jenkins

And one of these guys:
Lee Smith
Darren Fells
Troy Niklas
Ed Dickson
Virgil Green
Gary Barnidge

If the price is right of course. If not, draft one and re sign Willson for cheap.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Seymour":1ywmmjqy said:
Keep it cheap like bringing Luke back for 1-2M. Spend only on OL DL or a top flight RB.

Agree except for RB. Not worth it IMO. OL is way more important.

naholmes

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1u6bx85y said:
Gesicki. A younger Jimmy Graham. (Including the less than stellar run blocking.)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/ ... id=2559889
Gesicki is going to be a high pick after blowing up the combine. Other players I like are Dallas Goedert from S Dakota St he’s got upside but might take time to transition or Dalton Schultz from Stanford for an early contributor. Not sure any of those guys will be available in the 5th. The TE class doesn’t seem deep at all for the later guys maybe Fumagalli for WI but would much rather keep Luke Willson for reasonable cost.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/ ... id=2559850
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/ ... id=2560111
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/ ... id=2559955

peppersjap

Reaction score
I want to see what Swoopes can do. he is a very good athlete and looked good in the pre season last year and was on the active roster late in the year.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Tanner McEvoy (at his best) may be able to provide some of what Jimmy Graham did. Just don't ask him to block.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I will not be surprised to see Luke Willson back with a nice 3 year contract.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3nwoe731 said:
Ughhhh.....I think this year go status quo with what we have and try for next year. Not many options so why bother throwing away money at train wrecks or guys that are gonna simply be overpaid. Gannett should be starting at this point but obviously another bad pick by the FO...anyone else seeing a trend here?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team now has an OC who knows how to incorporate aTE into his scheme and we will see if RW can use the option presented. Willson is a known factor, time will tell. This week will tell us a lot as far as a few positions are concerned.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I'm curious about Troy Niklas. Strong blocker, solid hands. He never seemed well utilized in Arizona. Vet minimum or a little above should be enough.

Giphy
[youtube]n8El7dM_d3I[/youtube]
[youtube]_n8E5e-hPS8[/youtube]

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Levine Toilolo was released by the Falcons recently. Another strong blocker and big target who wasn't utilized much in the passing game.

The concern with Toilolo would be his knee. He hurt his knee in the playoffs and has a history of knee issues dating back to college.

naholmes

Reaction score
Cyrus12":uwcqt195 said:
jammerhawk":uwcqt195 said:
Ughhhh.....I think this year go status quo with what we have and try for next year. Not many options so why bother throwing away money at train wrecks or guys that are gonna simply be overpaid. Gannett should be starting at this point but obviously another bad pick by the FO...anyone else seeing a trend here?
It’s too early to call Vannett a bad pick. He’s been buried behind Graham and the TE position is notoriously slow to develop in the NFL. It’s Vannett’s third season and he has a clear path to playing time so if he does not take advantage this season then I will agree with you.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I want a great blocker with good hands, in the mold of Zach Miller.

Too many of our TEs have been weak blockers with a WR mindset. Luke Willson and Nick Vannett are pretty similar players. I think I would rather move on from Willson and find a stronger blocker with good hands.

naholmes

Reaction score
From your description, Dalton Schultz is a guy to target in the draft. This is Walter Football’s latest note about him. Only problem is that the Hawks currently don’t have a pick on day 2.

Projected Round (2018): 3-4.
3/10/18: Scouts have told me that they like Schultz and see him as a do-it-all Y tight end similar to Jason Witten. They say that Schultz is a good route-runner, excellent at catching the ball, and a really good blocker. He's a sleeper tight end who could be a steal.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018TE.php#ixzz59SmmBM8q
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018TE.p ... 3Ge4k7K.99

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Wisconsin TE Troy Fumagalli plays a lot like Luke Willson.

One thing that stands out in that PFF profile of the TEs is how much they hate the blocking of most of the top prospects.

Theydo say some nice things about Cam Serigne's blocking, but I've never been that impressed with him as a blocker. He's just not very physical.

Dallas Shultz had some nice moments as a blocker, similar to Nick Vannett.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1qmjkceq said:

Too many of our TEs have been weak blockers with a WR mindset. Luke Willson and Nick Vannett are pretty similar players. I think I would rather move on from Willson and find a stronger blocker with good hands.

Vannett was drafted for his blocking and was a pleasant surprise as a receiver, how you have Willson and him being the same player is confusing.

I think without Graham we will see a better utilization of Vannett, I also liked what Swoopes showed last Pre Season, we can fill with a UDFA a third spot or a cheap F.A.

taz291819

Reaction score
vin.couve12":34a3o79r said:
taz291819":34a3o79r said:
I posted in the NCAA forum about Hayden Hurst. Was a pro-baseball player, walked on to South Carolina and made the team. Great hands, good blocker, very mature, straight-up team player.

Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqhFG2IxqGI
So you're talking high draft pick then. Is this guy a priority over OL, DL, RB, etc? I'd say more so than RB because of Carson, but.....just asking. How are you prioritizing?

There was an article on NFL.com about how GM's and scouts were disappointed with this TE class, since the majority don't block.

Hurst is a pretty good blocker, so I wouldn't mind using a 2nd on him. 3rd I'd go with Griffin. After that, OL and DL.

EDIT: Another GM stated that Hurst has one thing that no one else knows about the other TE's; meaning how they will react to the highs and lows. Hurst has already been through the lows (his baseball career), and bounced back through hard work.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
chris98251":5ghxz48j said:
hawknation2018":5ghxz48j said:

Vannett was drafted for his blocking and was a pleasant surprise as a receiver, how you have Willson and him being the same player is confusing.

I think without Graham we will see a better utilization of Vannett, I also liked what Swoopes showed last Pre Season, we can fill with a UDFA a third spot or a cheap F.A.

Yeah, I never understood that. Vannett was a horrible blocker in college until his last year when he finally started to try. Go back and watch Vannett's blocking "highlights." Willson has improved considerably as a blocker. Now, both are about average (or a little below).

[youtube]11cCvnvNhSc[/youtube]