TE Position

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":2tc502ky said:
Seymour":2tc502ky said:
If this is true....then so much for "getting younger" being the reason for this re-boot.

Nobody has said anything about getting younger on offense?

No idea what you are saying. Nobody is a big word, of course people are saying that. Graham was 31.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
original poster":1pax8sj9 said:
UK_Seahawk":1pax8sj9 said:
Was Dickson cut or is he a ufa?

UFA.

Be interesting to see the numbers, I would hazard a guess it wont impact the comp picks too much.

King Dog

Reaction score
Sounds like it's a done deal

Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
58s58 seconds ago
More Ian Rapoport Retweeted Mike Garafolo
It’s 3 years with a max value of $14M, source said. He gets the first year fully guaranteed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Dickson's kind an interesting TE, hasn't really had the chance to be the #1 TE being in Carolina with Olsen.

But good blocker, athletic, and can get some separation. So I'd be fine with him on a 3-4M a year deal, which is probably where he's gonna slot into after ASJ signed for 5M a year.

Seymour

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/974669777905094658[/tweet]

Seymour

Reaction score
If we didn't pay over $3M PS then I'm fine with this. He has never earned much more than 2M per season...so we will see.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Used to be a highly athletic pass catching TE coming out of Oregon at 6'4 250. Has learned to be a good blocker over the years, but has also been the 2nd TE due to Greg Olson. I remember the Ravens having high hopes for him some years ago, but he got banged up on a short contract. This is a solid TE.

This also doesn't mean that Vannett is out of the running to earn a starting spot. Along with Darboh and Moore, Vannett was getting on the field more and more even with a healthy Jimmy and Luke.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Now that's done, I wouldn't be opposed to giving Niklas a 1 year deal and see if he can beat out any of the other 3. Wide open competition.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
If Duane Brown locks down LT long term and George Fant fully recover from his ACL. Is there a chance they try him at TE?

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Cyrus12":17t5n303 said:
Seymour":17t5n303 said:
If this is true....then so much for "getting younger" being the reason for this re-boot.
It's interesting. Maybe they think vannett is not the guy which means yet again another draft bust by this fo or maybe Dickson just becomes the run blocker.

I leaning toward Dickson just being solid depth. Vannett is still young and learning he could still take off. All the depth players they sign aren't going to be 25 years and younger.. you can still get younger as a team on average

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
bbsplitter":objupx57 said:
Cyrus12":objupx57 said:
Seymour":objupx57 said:
It's interesting. Maybe they think vannett is not the guy which means yet again another draft bust by this fo or maybe Dickson just becomes the run blocker.

I leaning toward Dickson just being solid depth. Vannett is still young and learning he could still take off. All the depth players they sign aren't going to be 25 years and younger.. you can still get younger as a team on average
I wouldn't rule out Vannett starting. The argument is that he hasn't done anything yet, but we had 10 mil in Jimmy and another 5 invested in Willson. Yet, Vannett was getting on the field.

I'd still like to get somebody like Troy Niklas in there to compete with the other 3 and maybe a couple udfa or late rounders and let it all vet itself.

Seymour

Reaction score
vin.couve12":zjtoii62 said:
bbsplitter":zjtoii62 said:
Cyrus12":zjtoii62 said:
Seymour":zjtoii62 said:

I wouldn't rule out Vannett starting. The argument is that he hasn't done anything yet, but we had 10 mil in Jimmy and another 5 invested in Willson. Yet, Vannett was getting on the field.

I'd still like to get somebody like Troy Niklas in there to compete with the other 3 and maybe a couple udfa or late rounders and let it all vet itself.

Wrong on Willson. We paid him $1.8M last season, and prob. could have had him for close to that again this year. The way we use the TE here, I was all for that myself.

Jville

Reaction score
So it's now Nick Vannett and Ed Dickson at tight end along with an interesting year two project in Tyrone Swoopes ..... all at a more reasonable cap cost. Seems like a good beginning to a restart.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Seymour":1m3guh0o said:
vin.couve12":1m3guh0o said:
bbsplitter":1m3guh0o said:
Cyrus12":1m3guh0o said:

Wrong on Willson. We paid him $1.8M last season, and prob. could have had him for close to that again this year. The way we use the TE here, I was all for that myself.
Well maybe he'll be back then.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Jville":1p2y2tu8 said:
So it's now Nick Vannett and Ed Dickson at tight end along with an interesting year two project in Tyrone Swoopes ..... all at a more reasonable cap cost. Seems like a good beginning to a restart.

I agree, more variety and chances for success at a lower cap hit

Kinger95

Reaction score
Do we have detains on the Dickson contract? Sounds like it’s perhaps more of a 1 year deal where we overpaid for his services but didn’t lock ourselves into something long term. This gives us the ability to keep him at 4.5 ish mill if he balls or if Vannett tanks. And if Vannett looks good and Dickson doesn’t do much we can pretty much walk away. That would be ideal because it gives us a chance to evaluate Vannett after being behind graham. There’s one positive to losing some vets is we get to see what the young guys got.