The Bevell matter comes down to one question

Hawks46

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3ij2iwvm said:
I think the ultimate question of our offense's effectiveness in the post-Lynch era is going to come down one thing:

Is Wilson holding onto the ball longer than he should, or is he following Bevell/Pete's orders and looking for the big play?

Despite Charles Davis' idiotic commentary to the contrary, Wilson is getting the 2.5 seconds that he needs behind the line, at least more often than not. His clock might be running out at 2.51 seconds, but he is getting what he needs. I'm not seeing very many quick passes to mitigate pressure and make pass rushers think twice. I am seeing a lot of "hey let's test the corners on deep passes", which exposes Wilson behind the line.

I'm gonna need to invest in All-22 in the offseason. For all the dumb reasons fans come up with to blame Bevell for things, this one may stand. We know from the Eagles game that the playbook can mitigate pressure. This lust for the big play is more at fault than anything else, IMHO, and it may be what gets a coach or two canned this year.

This is what baffles me. We did it before in 2015 and then just went away from it again.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1nejpp5e said:
This lust for the big play is more at fault than anything else, IMHO, and it may be what gets a coach or two canned this year.

Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please Oh please

Or else I'll never stop doing this --> :irishdrinkers:

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
Bevell? We've seen 20-30% of our plays executed so far and for one singular reason - we have a (below) mediocre offensive line. Play development is a rarity, it's been RW eeking plays (and wins) in spite of it for the most part.
Once again with a decent opponent it's exposed - our Oline was OWNED at the line...all.game.long. That is why teams blitz on us so often, they know this. Combine that with injured D and it's nightmare time (hence the score).

We MUST solve our Oline issues. They simply aren't tough and/or conditioned enough to handle a decent front.
Once that happens we'll be able to witness play development (hell, maybe even a glimmer of a run game). Until then we simply can't rate or judge our playcalling. That's fantasy.

randomation

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":6ij8clp5 said:
Sure, blame the OC when your QB sails throws 7 yards over the target, your receiver coughs up a tempo-changing fumble, your free agent LT can't stop an outside pass rush and our defense and special teams can't stopGurley or their kick returners. Got it.

Blame the OC when they only have slow developing routes you are damn right I will.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
randomation":1ww62q7p said:
Siouxhawk":1ww62q7p said:
Sure, blame the OC when your QB sails throws 7 yards over the target, your receiver coughs up a tempo-changing fumble, your free agent LT can't stop an outside pass rush and our defense and special teams can't stopGurley or their kick returners. Got it.

Blame the OC when they only have slow developing routes you are damn right I will.
The false premise that reactionaries use to try to defend their drivel is this "only uses long developing routes." BS to that. If you watched the game objectively Sunday, you'd see many short to intermediate routes utilized. Unfortunately Russ sailed a few of those throws or never even had the chance to get the ball off in that offense as he was running for his life thanks to another whiff by our esteemed O Line.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":dzdp5i94 said:
randomation":dzdp5i94 said:
Siouxhawk":dzdp5i94 said:

The false premise that reactionaries use to try to defend their drivel is this "only uses long developing routes." BS to that. If you watched the game objectively Sunday, you'd see many short to intermediate routes utilized. Unfortunately Russ sailed a few of those throws or never even had the chance to get the ball off in that offense as he was running for his life thanks to another whiff by our esteemed O Line.

OC definitely deserves blame, but yes, players sucked as well. I still can’t get over the Backwards sack pass.

Re Oline, Pete said they had a plan for Donald. Well either coaches greatly underestimated the opponent, our own players skill, or have no real idea how to form a plan. Any one of those is bad.

No defending anyone in this game. Top to bottom.

cymatica

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1v1nr1gf said:
randomation":1v1nr1gf said:
Siouxhawk":1v1nr1gf said:

I call bs 100%. There were not "many" short/int routes. There are always a few here and there but definitely not many. If there are these routes like you claim, then our OC does a piss poor job of implementing them in a way that actually net results.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":19f6m0a2 said:
Bevell? We've seen 20-30% of our plays executed so far and for one singular reason - we have a (below) mediocre offensive line. Play development is a rarity, it's been RW eeking plays (and wins) in spite of it for the most part.
Once again with a decent opponent it's exposed - our Oline was OWNED at the line...all.game.long. That is why teams blitz on us so often, they know this. Combine that with injured D and it's nightmare time (hence the score).

We MUST solve our Oline issues. They simply aren't tough and/or conditioned enough to handle a decent front.
Once that happens we'll be able to witness play development (hell, maybe even a glimmer of a run game). Until then we simply can't rate or judge our playcalling. That's fantasy.

Bullshit... he has enough time for quick slants and drops every down... they are not called..

Anthony!

Reaction score
cymatica":14gnfhn3 said:
Siouxhawk":14gnfhn3 said:
randomation":14gnfhn3 said:
Siouxhawk":14gnfhn3 said:

I call bs 100%. There were not "many" short/int routes. There are always a few here and there but definitely not many. If there are these routes like you claim, then our OC does a piss poor job of implementing them in a way that actually net results.

The announcers said many many times that there were nothing but go routes enough said