The Empty Backfield Never Works & Britt Needs Help

rideaducati

Reaction score
I LOVE the empty set offense. It usually means it's third down and long and ANOTHER worthless bubble screen is coming...of course, my favorite player is Jon Ryan :sarcasm_off:

getnasty

Reaction score
Britt has been bad in pass protection but he is a rookie and thats to be expexted when we give him 0 help. As far as the empty sets go everytime we go empty it seems the defense counters with a blitz, literally it seems like everytime. Now we all no the ball needs too come out quick in those situations, but for whatever reason it doesn't and when it does it usually a slant thrown at the shins of a WR who didn't get open in the first place. This week we went empty once and Russell found Willson on a shallow cross and it went for 12 yards I think, just the way it should everytime we see a blitz. Not sure how much of our struggles in empty are on Bevell, Russ or the WR's my guess is it goes to everyone a little, but when we get blitzed agaisnt a empty set it should be a opportunity to make big plays, not shit the bed.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Britt has been pretty good in run blocking but HORRIBLE in pass protection. Seems like some things get thrown out on the .Net and then it's taken as gospel and anything that counters that is considered blasphemy. He's flashed some potential and could turn out to be very good. He's also been destroyed at the worst possible times giving someone a free shot at Wilson.

Largent80

Reaction score
2 things. Our offense is a play action design, and with the current O-Line we should NOT be using the empty backfield, I understand doing it for a different look, but it is almost like surrendering.

Secondly, Britt is doing pretty well for a rookie. When I re-watch the games I focus on the line play on both sides of the ball and he has just as many gaffes as the people playing with him. He is going to be rock solid for many years to come.

Weadoption

Reaction score
He moves like a heavy solid rock, I think that's what you mean.