The Last Days of Football

Thomas144

Reaction score
Really interesting essay about the state of the NFL that I think raises a lot of good points. It's written by a Patriots fan and echoes a lot of my thoughts, but I'm posting it here because I know Seahawks fans are totally focussed on Football right now as everyone in New England is, and I think the essay deserves to be read:

https://nplusonemag.com/online-only/onl ... -football/

Rob12

Reaction score
Wow.

Long, but profound and thought invoking. Definitely worth the read.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Good read, well written.

Sad for what football may become.

Phteven

Reaction score
To sum up. Goodell is not interested in the integrity of the game; he is interested in making money for the owners. Bill B is a genius.

I don't know, guys. it's well written, but anyone who doesn't already understand that the NFL is at a crossroads and the integrity of the sport is in jeapordy just isn't paying attention.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
misallocated moral righteousness

Stopped reading right there. Misallocated? I give you this:

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/

Why are fumbles so important? Because as Bill Belichick knows, perhaps more so than most NFL coaches due to his understanding of the game – turnovers usually control game outcomes. Since 2000, teams who won the turnover battle won 79% of their games, regardless of ANY other statistic. A 12-5 record equates to 75% wins, so its clear how vital turnovers are in the minds of intelligent coaches. And as far as turnovers are concerned, the number one concern for a team with a quarterback as skilled and proficient as Tom Brady is not interceptions (because there won’t be many), its fumbles.

Narniaman

Reaction score
Actually a very well written article. . . that does conclude that the Patriots did do something to deflate the footballs, whether legal or illegal. . . .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Very well written article, but I disagree with the conclusion.

The NFL is rising, not falling right now due to two huge factors........gambling/fantasy football and poverty.

The internet age has increased the NFL's appeal 500 fold with hundreds of ways to gamble on the NFL. Straight up betting, Fan Duel, Fantasy sites, etc. etc. As long as the gambling enterprise is funneling literally billions into the NFL's and industry pockets then the NFL will remain our national pastime with insane ratings.

Throughout history poverty has played one of the biggest roles in sports. Sports gives kids in poverty options to make a living. Lower and middle class parents and kids won't care about things like concussion and health risks when the flip side is a chance to better themselves financially.