The Message has been sent

chris98251

Reaction score
The Draft this year to me was a message sent to our secondary, get out of your comfort zone, quit being about you and get back to being about the team.

Since we beat the Broncos all the attention these guys got I think has went to their heads to a degree, not saying it wasn't expected and or natural, but the refocus on team message was just sent.

You make top end pay now you need to produce.

Your Older and now are a bit slower, need more time in training room, you need to step it up for one more run, the window on your playing career is coming to an end, you may get one more contract, win it all and it will be good and you can retire with a chance at the HOF.

We are bringing in hungry animals that want your job to push and maybe replace you, do you have what it takes to still compete and rise to the challenge? Or are you gonna go out kicking and screaming in the media ?

Now that we have these guys drafted we have the luxury of choice as well, be a Seahawk and give your all or be a Brown, Bill, Jet, you don't get to be a Patriot since your under contract still, besides Bill is cheap as hell when it comes to trade compensation.

Some of this was Tongue and Cheek granted, but the bottom line is look at the skill set we drafted and where they look to fit and where Pete would like them to fit, it is a virtual video or young LOB in the future, every position accounted for going forward, especially when including the redshirt guys and guys brought in and guys from IR.

We can cut our cap by a huge margin, get that aggressiveness back if they allow us to play more man yes looking at you Richard, and we may get that swagger back that has been missing and replaced with a business as usual mentality to a large degree.

The Message has been sent and I am sure all 3 of them have seen it with the draft, Shead isn't really included in this conversation but his notice is given as well we have a few pure cover guys that can play physical and faster for the RC spot.

The losers in all this, the receivers and RB's this off season and thru Camp, "When Allowed" practice is going to be brutal as these guys unleash the Boom on our own players. Pre Season get your Cameras and Phones ready, should be a bunch of classic snot locker hits out there to see as these guys bring it. I just hope we don't hurt each other.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Yes as it should. NE sends this type of message every year. They dont screw around. We need to get back to competing at every position and leaving ego's at the front door. Despite 2012 being a year we didn't win the superbowl, it's probably my favorite season outside the superbowl winning year. It was like a pro level college team (for lack of a better term). Nothing but young, unpaid guys under the radar nobody knows about trying reach the top of the mountain. Also Russ ran like an absolute madman.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, Pete and most fans see the fading of the LOB over the past couple of seasons. There are going to be some young "Dogs" in the secondary at camp this year. It will be glorious, and hopefully remind the original LOB members what got them where they are.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":37qpfypi said:
The Draft this year to me was a message sent to our secondary, get out of your comfort zone, quit being about you and get back to being about the team.

Since we beat the Broncos all the attention these guys got I think has went to their heads to a degree, not saying it wasn't expected and or natural, but the refocus on team message was just sent.

You make top end pay now you need to produce.

Your Older and now are a bit slower, need more time in training room, you need to step it up for one more run, the window on your playing career is coming to an end, you may get one more contract, win it all and it will be good and you can retire with a chance at the HOF.

We are bringing in hungry animals that want your job to push and maybe replace you, do you have what it takes to still compete and rise to the challenge? Or are you gonna go out kicking and screaming in the media ?

Now that we have these guys drafted we have the luxury of choice as well, be a Seahawk and give your all or be a Brown, Bill, Jet, you don't get to be a Patriot since your under contract still, besides Bill is cheap as hell when it comes to trade compensation.

Some of this was Tongue and Cheek granted, but the bottom line is look at the skill set we drafted and where they look to fit and where Pete would like them to fit, it is a virtual video or young LOB in the future, every position accounted for going forward, especially when including the redshirt guys and guys brought in and guys from IR.

We can cut our cap by a huge margin, get that aggressiveness back if they allow us to play more man yes looking at you Richard, and we may get that swagger back that has been missing and replaced with a business as usual mentality to a large degree.

The Message has been sent and I am sure all 3 of them have seen it with the draft, Shead isn't really included in this conversation but his notice is given as well we have a few pure cover guys that can play physical and faster for the RC spot.

The losers in all this, the receivers and RB's this off season and thru Camp, "When Allowed" practice is going to be brutal as these guys unleash the Boom on our own players. Pre Season get your Cameras and Phones ready, should be a bunch of classic snot locker hits out there to see as these guys bring it. I just hope we don't hurt each other.

I also like the way this draft worked out in taking a lot DB's. Great teams don't rebuild, they reload!
I don't think Sherm, Kam or Earl are close to being done or not effective, but if one is, the (hopefully) quality back up has arrived to pick up the slack.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I don't see the "fading of the LOB" at all. Last year, we were in the running for least points allowed for the 4th straight year until Earl got injured. We had Sherman playing hurt. Jeremy Lane was overwhelmed at the CB2 position and getting exposed by our lack of pass rush up front. The other three are still the best at their positions. Pete and John would presumably be sending messages of support and appreciation for that, not dissatisfaction.

I see this as the front office securing flexiblity for themselves in future contract negotiations in order to keep managing the money in their program, not expressing discontent. Except for possibly Sherman.

edogg23

Reaction score
This is part of the reason I think it would be a mistake to extend Kam ahead of the season. Make him compete all year and let's see how far the rooks can push him.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Fans are funny, because I agree with the post, but instead of focusing on the DB's, I took the draft as an indication that the LOB isn't the LOB without a pass rush and forcing team to 2nd and 9 instead of 2nd and 6 or 7.

McDowell and Thomas as truly the "bridges" to the return of the LOB, because we played Bennett and Avril too many snaps the last two seasons and if anyone has "slowed", it's not the LOB, its the pass rush/run defense.

I will assure everyone that's reading this that this starting LOB unit will be together at least 2 more full seasons....I reserve the right to change this thought process after Pre-season game 3, but I don't think it's feasible to expect this draft of kids not in the Top 75, to replace 3 HOF caliber players...

We need a pass rush, the pressure falls squarely on Bennett/Avril/Clark and McDowell to be the 4 pass rushers on the field during third down and to collapse the pocket during Week One at Lambeau Field....anything short of 4 sacks and 2 forced turnovers is on the front four.

AgentDib

Reaction score
This draft added tons of young depth in the secondary and built on our already existing young depth at DL, RB, WR, and OL. Rookies this year are green while players in years 2-4 are in blue.

QtN021P

It looks like we're counting on our veteran starters to hold down QB, TE and LB for several more years but that's a reasonable expectation given the players at those spots and their ages.

Josea16

Reaction score
AgentDib":284560so said:
This draft added tons of young depth in the secondary and built on our already existing young depth at DL, RB, WR, and OL. Rookies this year are green while players in years 2-4 are in blue.

QtN021P

It looks like we're counting on our veteran starters to hold down QB, TE and LB for several more years but that's a reasonable expectation given the players at those spots and their ages.
God that is overall ridiculously young, it's amazing that they are basically remaking the team for a year or two from now and still be a serious Super Bowl contender. The oldest guy on offense is Jimmy Graham at 8 years and that isn't what I call anywhere near the end. Nobody wins as many games as the Seahawks did last year with an OL that young.

Own The West

Reaction score
AgentDib":34vwkw90 said:

QtN021P

Wow, Britt was the old man on the line at 4yrs exp.

Josea16

Reaction score
Own The West":1a5c32mt said:
AgentDib":1a5c32mt said:

QtN021P

Wow, Britt was the old man on the line at 4yrs exp.
Actually 3 years not counting the 2017 season. He's always been a favorite of mine given he's a Missouri boy and played for Missouri in college.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":1u83500l said:
Fans are funny, because I agree with the post, but instead of focusing on the DB's, I took the draft as an indication that the LOB isn't the LOB without a pass rush and forcing team to 2nd and 9 instead of 2nd and 6 or 7.

McDowell and Thomas as truly the "bridges" to the return of the LOB, because we played Bennett and Avril too many snaps the last two seasons and if anyone has "slowed", it's not the LOB, its the pass rush/run defense.

I will assure everyone that's reading this that this starting LOB unit will be together at least 2 more full seasons....I reserve the right to change this thought process after Pre-season game 3, but I don't think it's feasible to expect this draft of kids not in the Top 75, to replace 3 HOF caliber players...

We need a pass rush, the pressure falls squarely on Bennett/Avril/Clark and McDowell to be the 4 pass rushers on the field during third down and to collapse the pocket during Week One at Lambeau Field....anything short of 4 sacks and 2 forced turnovers is on the front four.
Another excellent and overlooked point. Great post! :2thumbs:

nash72

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1nqqgh0t said:
I don't see the "fading of the LOB" at all. Last year, we were in the running for least points allowed for the 4th straight year until Earl got injured. We had Sherman playing hurt. Jeremy Lane was overwhelmed at the CB2 position and getting exposed by our lack of pass rush up front. The other three are still the best at their positions. Pete and John would presumably be sending messages of support and appreciation for that, not dissatisfaction.

I see this as the front office securing flexiblity for themselves in future contract negotiations in order to keep managing the money in their program, not expressing discontent. Except for possibly Sherman.

I agree. None of these rookies are going to knock Sherm, Kam, or Earl out of a starting job until one of their contracts are up. It definitely wont be for skill reasons.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Well part of my initial post was first the Money, then the age, injuries and getting nicked up, then the team chemistry and being all in as well.

I watched the day three draft interview with John and Pete and a glossed over aspect was the science part where they predict length of career and injuries etc.

I think some of our guys are getting close, you don't want to keep them too long at a high price if they are going to fall off, I think they were forced to do so with Lynch due to the failure of Christine Michael, Lynch hit the injury list and was fighting with different stuff Hernia, Back, and some other minor stuff. This is the time you get one more good year unless a guy explodes on the scene and try to get something for your vets before they lose value, that's the next phase this franchise is heading into. The Belichek purge I will call it, stacking picks for Vets that can contribute still before they are deemed broken.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
edogg23":3yk37hwo said:
This is part of the reason I think it would be a mistake to extend Kam ahead of the season. Make him compete all year and let's see how far the rooks can push him.
I don't know if I like messing with Kam like that. He's been nothing but a warrior for us. Even the year he held out, in retrospect I can see why he was pissed as the front office gave Cary Williams more money. He wasn't even part of the LOB and yet he was reaping all that cash. Yes, it's what the corner market was at at the time, but I still can understand why it didn't sit right with Kam and the LOB at the time.

So I don't think we dick around with his payola again.

And actually, like Montana says, this approach to bringing in a wave of rookie future LOBers and their corresponding minimal rookie contracts, ensures that respect is shown to Kam, Earl and Sherm. No more rocking the boat with a high-priced free agent interloper DB. Coach up the rookies -- maybe even get a starting corner opposite Sherm out of the deal -- and hopefully they'll be ready to step in when the original LOB have to hang 'em up.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Can't ignore the simple depth factor either. Sherm, Kam, and Earl are showing they're human re injuries. Terrell and McCray could not hold the ship together with either Earl of Kam out. Shead was/is out, Lane hasn't been the same since his injuries. There just hasn't been much quality depth...

I think this draft also speaks to some disappointment in the developmental DBs on the roster for a while. Other than Shead (and it took him a long time to get there) no Maxwell or Lane emerged from that group (not saying some still won't). Not to mention way too much time invested in Simon. I think they were looking for more upside to speed up development of the next round of rooks, whether they replace starters or remain as depth.

Boycie

Reaction score
nash72":ghjlt7qg said:
MontanaHawk05":ghjlt7qg said:

I agree. None of these rookies are going to knock Sherm, Kam, or Earl out of a starting job until one of their contracts are up. It definitely wont be for skill reasons.

I just want to see a capable #2 CB opposite of Sherm. That, and have the pass rush upgraded, which I think they have achieved on the weekend.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2l30yt4g said:
I don't see the "fading of the LOB" at all.

We went from the #1 passing defense in 2015 to #8 last year. Obviously most of the decline was after Earl went down.

But the fact remains that this is a diminishing version of the LOB that set the league on fire 3-4 years ago, yet they're commanding a large percentage of the payroll.

So something has to give, either the combo of Earl, Sherm and Kam return to their physical ball hawking turnover machine big hitting ways?...............or they get replaced. It's as simple as that.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think this will make our WRs and RBs better.

Iron sharpens iron. Camp is going to be brutal this year.