The NFL is in a No Win Situation

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I do get it.

In this moment, it'll be up to the NFL and maybe each individual club to decide to play the anthem or not. If they do, it'll be on them to realize that the moment will be all over the 6 o clock and 11 o clock news with footage on what each individual player did. Cutting away for a commercial for Limu Emu or Progressive car insurance will just infuriate people, so they will have to show it.

In this moment, just dispensing with the anthem shows respect. Not just for the disrespect that went before but for the moment we're now in. It shows respect for the fact that many Americans have been torn asunder and feel like there isn't a center that is holding anymore. I read a poll today, and it suggests 80 percent of people feel that way.

Just don't play it this year. No one wants it. No one wants to be even more riled up. And God, if fans are allowed, can you imagine the fracas in the stands from people who've had a couple and get into it.

The no-win situation is to play that song in the first place. Just don't play it for this year.

Safer for Covid-19 anyway.

chris98251

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2uplp5yj said:
I do get it.

In this moment, it'll be up to the NFL and maybe each individual club to decide to play the anthem or not. If they do, it'll be on them to realize that the moment will be all over the 6 o clock and 11 o clock news with footage on what each individual player did. Cutting away for a commercial for Limu Emu or Progressive car insurance will just infuriate people, so they will have to show it.

In this moment, just dispensing with the anthem shows respect. Not just for the disrespect that went before but for the moment we're now in. It shows respect for the fact that many Americans have been torn asunder and feel like there isn't a center that is holding anymore. I read a poll today, and it suggests 80 percent of people feel that way.

Just don't play it this year. No one wants it. No one wants to be even more riled up. And God, if fans are allowed, can you imagine the fracas in the stands from people who've had a couple and get into it.

The no-win situation is to play that song in the first place. Just don't play it for this year.

NO ONE WANTS IT ? Did you already do a National Poll?

Absolutely nobody thinks there should be a National anthem in the country.

Not betting the players feel that way.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
From a completely non-political perspective, I have been saying for years that they should eliminate the national anthem from sporting events, period. Just get to the game. Only a handful of people actually pay attention to it at the stadiums and arenas and the people at home aren't getting off the couch to stand for it.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":17wsatq0 said:
SantaClaraHawk":17wsatq0 said:
I do get it.

NO ONE WANTS IT ? Did you already do a National Poll?

Absolutely nobody thinks there should be a National anthem in the country.

Not betting the players feel that way.

OK, "no one wants it" was rhetorical. I'm sure someone would want it at the games somewhere.

But all logistics point to it being a bad idea.

The NFL has enough to deal with getting the NFLPA on board to even come back to facilities (which hasn't officially yet happened). It will have to have elaborate testing procedures, tiering procedures to keep players safe and keep them away from staff that they don't have to interact with. And the staff itself will have testing procedures to keep them safe from others in their tranch, so to speak.

A flag guard is what, about 75 people to unfurl it and wave it and wrap it up again to walk off? Not only are those 75 people, but they will also have to have practice time to synchonize their routine. Then there's the scheduling of the Anthem performer, plus the sound crew that goes with them. And whatever testing they have to go through.That could easily be 100 people in total for something the NFL knows will be an inflammatory issue this year that they don't want to fall out of their narrative.

anonFAFA

Reaction score
TreeRon":2omw9nx1 said:
"There are many Americans who think the National Anthem and the flag are not the right things to be protesting."
You still don't get it !
THEY ARE NOT PROTESTING THE FLAG OR THE ANTHEM !!!!!
The time during the anthem was an opportunity to make the point. Some of the things the flag and anthem represent are not available to black Americans, like freedom and justice.

BTW, what the "H" do you mean by "Black Values"?

One more thing, do you not think that black men and women have not fought and died in America's wars? What'd they get for it? After WWI and WWII they returned to denigration, and worse lynchings.
In my war Viet Nam, there were as many black guys as white guys. Who do you think was getting drafted while suburban white kids were getting student deferments or worse, getting a doctor to make some phony medical excuse.
I'll bet as % of the population there are more blacks and latinos in the Army and Marines now, than whites.

No, I get it. The intent is to use the platform as a protest of the treatment of blacks in America. However, some people don't see it that way. They view it as the wrong venue and as a protest of the flag/anthem. I don't agree, but the sad reality is that perception is reality for most people and everyone is arguing past one another because they refuse to step in someone else's shoes. My understanding of this is not an endorsement of their opinion.

As far as black values, someone above was arguing that the National Anthem should stand for all values. Black values are whatever cultural values typically held within their communities. Those values should be respected and Americans should stand for those values as much as any. I won't name specifics because every black community has their own set of values.

I never said I thought black men and women didn't fight in wars so I don't understand why you are going on to this topic?

chris98251

Reaction score
Why not have a ethnically diverse group present a Flag and the Crowd sing the Anthem, of course you would have to have the words on the big screen.

You want to be inclusive and speak as a Group, there you go !

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
They already do that minus the words on the Jumbotron. The flag guard is already diverse. The performers are already diverse.

But like I said, no-win situation if you play it. It's just too inflammatory this year. Some people see the anthem as a referendum on Trump and black mistreatment and will sit. Some see it as a value tha vt represents American resiliency and the need to unite and will stand. People are already on a hair-trigger about the whole issue that has become insanely political.

TreeRon

Reaction score
How bout we sing God Bless America or America the Beautiful. Neither has a third verse that is controversial and neither was penned by a slaveholder who thought blacks an inferior race.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
No one knows the third verse of the anthem. I mean, I looked it up when I was 11 or 12 but it definitely wasn't practiced then with schoolchildren, not even in the 1970s.

But yeah, if they wanted an alternative there are many available.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
As the country struggles to come to grip with reality, Richard Sherman just checked if the microphone-loving Jerry Jones would make a statement about the current tension one way or another. The overall silence of owners speaks volume. They are the real cowards. Billionaires are cowards !!!
I guess the cat just ate Jones' tongue !!! I'm sure this "powerful, wealthy, successful" owner is afraid to disagree with the president he supported , while he called players "Sons Of Bitches", ... etc. It all seemed so cool in 2016 ...

chris98251

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1kut7jf5 said:
As the country struggles to come to grip with reality, Richard Sherman just checked if the microphone-loving Jerry Jones would make a statement about the current tension one way or another. The overall silence of owners speaks volume. They are the real cowards. Billionaires are cowards !!!
I guess the cat just ate Jones' tongue !!! I'm sure this "powerful, wealthy, successful" owner is afraid to disagree with the president he supported , while he called players "Sons Of Bitches", ... etc. It all seemed so cool in 2016 ...

His tongue is in a Glory Hole.

Trump diarhea feature

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
According to PFT, Goodell consulted with "power owners" before releasing his tape supporting BLM. That had to include Jerrah.

He'd be a maroon if he even tried to get anyone to stand this year. Even more people would sit.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1s2nhkfu said:
According to PFT, Goodell consulted with "power owners" before releasing his tape supporting BLM. That had to include Jerrah.

He'd be a maroon if he even tried to get anyone to stand this year. Even more people would sit.
He is a maroon, trust me. Most *allas fans would agree with that too.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
TreeRon":1x3gzuu0 said:
How bout we sing God Bless America or America the Beautiful. Neither has a third verse that is controversial and neither was penned by a slaveholder who thought blacks an inferior race.

I don't think changing the song will make one bit of difference one way or another.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Mixing up the musical selection could alleviate some of the tension maybe. I like "This land is your land, this land is my land."

Here's what Florio thinks each owner should say to their team:

Here’s what the owners should say: “Our players have the absolute right to stand, to kneel, to sit, or to otherwise do whatever they choose to do during the anthem. We encourage them to make a conscious decision as to what they will do during the anthem, and we fully support whatever decision each player makes. There will be no pressure placed upon them to do anything other than what they decide is the right thing to do, and no decisions regarding their position on the roster, their status in the lineup, or their playing time will be made based on this issue.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... o-protest/

Seanhawk

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3dwxo3i2 said:
Mixing up the musical selection could alleviate some of the tension maybe. I like "This land is your land, this land is my land."

I don't understand this line of thinking. Say nothing changes in regards to systematic racism and police brutality that Kaepernick was originally kneeling for before the start of the season. You think changing the song that is played at the beginning of a football game will make even one person feel better about things and stand up?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2rsmqn7y said:
SantaClaraHawk":2rsmqn7y said:

I don't understand this line of thinking. Say nothing changes in regards to systematic racism and police brutality that Kaepernick was originally kneeling for before the start of the season. You think changing the song that is played at the beginning of a football game will make even one person feel better about things and stand up?

It's partly whimsical: I don't think any song should be played this year, not just over politics but over the ongoing issue of Covid. We're not even sure if fans will attend so why drag out 100 nonessential people to wave around a giant flag let alone bring in contracted singers to sing whatever song?

But if a song is to be played and the point is "unity" then just mix it up.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
And these power owners (Kraft, Jones to name a few) have no courage to even show their face to speak on an issue that have made them trillionaires. And don't let them fool you that they were already billionaires before owning NFL franchises or that they built that fortune by themselves.
As far as I'm concerned, these owners are the real thugs.

SantaClaraHawk":192oljlo said:

chrispy

Reaction score
Like Drew said: It's not about the flag or the song.

Saying it's about the flag or the song is a shallow way to avoid the real issue. There's no reasonable circumstance where an American patriot can be more offended at the (perceived) disrespect of a symbol than the subjugation of millions of fellow citizens. Anyone that professes such is consciously trying to divert the conversation. It's about people, not fabric.

Those truly offended by the action of kneeling could donate to their favorite Black activist organization, volunteer at the same, lobby their elected officials... make an honest effort to be part of progress and equality. At that point, it'll stop. Until then, you're in a burning building complaining about getting wet from the firehose.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
It is weird when people say it is NOT about the flag and the song when they ONLY kneel during the flag and the song while everyone else stands and takes off their hats. If it is NOT about disrespecting the country then do it after or before the national anthem.

The NFL is in a tough spot. Lots of fans (me) think it is horseshit to allow your EMPLOYEES to disrespect our country. Many players want to speak out. Some fans will tune out the NFL because of it. Most won't.

The problem is a political group (BLM) has co-opted an issue everyone could easily agree with and made it political. George Floyd was murdered and police have gotten away with far too much crap for far too long because of their unions. I haven't had anyone I know disagree with this.

Okay, then the next step is was this racially motivated? IF Chauvin (or the other 3 non-white officers) had ANY history of racist comments or behavior we would have all heard about it so not that I have seen. I won't go into a long discussion of BLM's published beliefs but it is not simply an anti-racist movement.

Anyway. piss off many of your players or many of your fans is what it comes down to. Goodell has chosen to piss of the fans. We will see how that turns out. I imagine any short term behavior by fans not tuning in will be sloughed off to the coronavirus.