The NFL is in a No Win Situation

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Another lie. I'm a fan. Goodell has not pissed me off. Goodell has embraced America and what it stands for. Some people are pissed, because they believe America ONLY exists through their lens.
Those who refuse to watch the "new" NFL can watch something else. There are plenty of options on TV.
Anyway. piss off many of your players or many of your fans is what it comes down to. Goodell has chosen to piss of the fans. We will see how that turns out. I imagine any short term behavior by fans not tuning in will be sloughed off to the coronavirus.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I say scrap the song..Instead let's just have a two
minute silent period for everything that matters.
Like lives lost to virus and so on ect.
Anyone can use it for what they want in their mind.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3a8tpovf said:
I say scrap the song..Instead let's just have a two
minute silent period for everything that matters.
Like lives lost to virus and so on ect.
Anyone can use it for what they want in their mind.

This is the best idea I've heard yet. Everyone has something, or someone, to mourn recently in these trying times. And it's also a moment of reflection for the moments of joy that I hope each of us, and everyone, has experenced.

olyfan63

Reaction score
First amendment rights to "free speech"? Ha. In sports broadcasts, pretty much you have to pay to get airtime.
No prob, just pay for the time like any advertiser who pays to attach their message to the NFL product.
"This national anthem demonstration brought to you by " (insert paid political sponsor here, BLM, Biden Campaign, Trump Campaign, NRA, G. Soros Open Society Foundation, etc.)

Maybe in the next CBA, players will negotiate a set-aside time for political messages. But then do higher paid players have more say over the content of the messages?

It's proven divisive to have the national anthem hijacked to attach other messages to it, and it's somewhat un-American to have that airtime taken without compensation. I'd be happy to have stadiums do the anthem when players are in the locker room and/or cut the anthem out of the broadcast.

Russell Wilson has been leading a Christian athletes demonstration/protest for years, from what I've observed. He typically does this right after the game. Sometimes the media shows this, sometimes they don't. Pretty much everyone who participates in that takes a knee. Oh, wait, it's closer to "giving thanks" than to a protest. Well, it's a religious/political message nonetheless. I'm good with that being "free" after the conclusion of the game.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The thing with the Anthem is that it hasn't routinely been shown on TV except at those international games. TV will cut away for a message from Limu Emu or something. Except this year, the news will be exceptionally interested in who is standing and who is sitting. Maybe more than the actual play.

The thing with the Corona is that there's STILL no consensus on how to handle positive results on the field, or who gets quarantined, or how it's disclosed. Whether fans will even be allowed is an open question. They have bigger problems IOW than bringing in 100 more people to wave a giant flag and have some celebrity sing a song. Just do the two minutes of silence.

Latest posts