The OL Plan

Mexi

Reaction score
I don't think we should go out and overspend on Linemen. I think players like Joeckel, Warmack, Khalil would do. Young players looking to get back on track.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Let's just hope most of us don't look like this this fall when the final Oline group is announced

5IV66jD

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":12z5xwur said:
Another thing people don't know is we've drafted 14 O-lineman during the PC/JS era, that's TIED for the most in the NFL in that time span.

Yet not one has made it to a 2nd contract.

That's some pretty damning shizzle right there, and tells me we should probably address our O-line needs in FA, and not the draft. Cause for all the great drafting these two have done, they have no idea what they're doing when it comes to O-lineman. None.

You're right, I certainly didn't know that little tidbit. I'm not sure if it makes any difference or not, but most of our OL picks are 3rd round or lower...let's see, we have Carpenter, Moffitt, and Britt that were drafted 3rd or higher, are there any others? I wonder how that compares with other teams over the same time span.

On the surface, we don't seem to have the commitment to the offensive line like other teams do, although unlike a team like Dallas, we haven't had the luxury of consistently picking in the top 10.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Contrary to the song the media keeps singing, this team has shown some commitment to the o-line it just hasn't paid off because (as Sgt. Largent points out) they have no idea what they're doing when it comes to OL.

Okung, Carp, Mofitt, Britt, Ifedi and Odhiambo were all drafted in 3rd or before. Three in the first round.

Dallas' main starters from last year 3 - 1st rounders, 1- 4th rounder and 1 - UFA. Only one of their 1st rounders was a top 10 pick.

RiverDog

Reaction score
LolaRox":104m09s2 said:
Contrary to the song the media keeps singing, this team has shown some commitment to the o-line it just hasn't paid off because (as Sgt. Largent points out) they have no idea what they're doing when it comes to OL.

Okung, Carp, Mofitt, Britt, Ifedi and Odhiambo were all drafted in 3rd or before. Three in the first round.

Dallas' main starters from last year 3 - 1st rounders, 1- 4th rounder and 1 - UFA. Only one of their 1st rounders was a top 10 pick.

Thanks for the addition of those 3. I can see forgetting Odhiambo, but how in the heck could I forget Okung and Ifedi?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jville":134je47r said:
Sgt. Largent":134je47r said:
Another thing people don't know is we've drafted 14 O-lineman during the PC/JS era, that's TIED for the most in the NFL in that time span.

Yet not one has made it to a 2nd contract.

That's some pretty damning shizzle right there, and tells me we should probably address our O-line needs in FA, and not the draft. Cause for all the great drafting these two have done, they have no idea what they're doing when it comes to O-lineman. None.

:177692: With all due respect ..... of the 14 offensive linemen drafted during the Carroll era, only 4 had completed their first contract as of 2016. James Carpenter and JR Sweezy landed big multi-year 2nd contracts. And, Russell Okung pocketed $8 mil last year. That's three out of four eligible for a second contract.

Most view .750 as a pretty good batting average.

It's damning because not one of these lineman played well enough for the men who drafted them to offer them a 2nd contract.

Who cares if they went elsewhere and got overpaid? The fact that WE didn't think they deserved it tells you everything you need to know about our FO's ability to evaluate O-line talent.

King Dog

Reaction score
Maybe Schwenke is part of the plan

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
More
DJ Fluker joins Nick Mangold, Brian Schwenke & others on the interior OL market. #Jets, #Titans, #Seahawks on Schwenke.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/eric_d_williams/status/839174458359308288[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/839166021789442048[/tweet]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jville":k3b8u1q4 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/eric_d_williams/status/839174458359308288[/tweet]

Fluker would be awesome, but he's now arguably the #1 free agent lineman on the market. Someone with far more cap space than us is going to overpay for him.

Love to see it happen, but I don't have much hope.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Fluker would be great but he looks to be a guard not tackle. Do you believe they would switch him to tackle?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16yx8g6u said:

Fluker would be awesome, but he's now arguably the #1 free agent lineman on the market. Someone with far more cap space than us is going to overpay for him.

Love to see it happen, but I don't have much hope.

Disagree. Very poor at tackle (where we need the help the most), and was #52 ranked guard by PFF, he gave up a ton of sacks and also was penalized a lot. Pass on this guy, he's not going to help much at all IMO.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Fluker's problems are mainly between his ears ... maybe Cable would be good for him. I don't want us to sign him but I'd remain open minded if we did.