The Portland Trailblazers

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":cbll6o7e said:
Like i said in an above post. This team will be bad. You just don't lose 4 starters without paying the price. They should be in the hunt for a top 5 pick next year.
Oh yeah, I'm not at all surprised.

Alexander

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3ao796fu said:
Hawk-Lock":3ao796fu said:
Like i said in an above post. This team will be bad. You just don't lose 4 starters without paying the price. They should be in the hunt for a top 5 pick next year.
Oh yeah, I'm not at all surprised.

There's no question this team is not nearly as good as last year's. No one expects them to make the playoffs, even under the most optimistic scenarios. But, the 6-game losing streak aside, it hasn't been the dumpster fire that many expected. The offense has been surprisingly effective.

That said, the last few games make it clear that this team's chances of approaching mediocrity rest entirely on Lillard's shoulders. If he's not healthy, the Blazers are indeed a very bad team. You could see it the last few games. The rest of the team just can't pick up the slack.

m0ng0

Reaction score
So what does everyone think about the Blazers now? They are dangerously close to an 8th seed at this point, I know we are not even half way yet, but it begs the question do we start to look at deals to get better now and possibly get a little playoff expereince or get more long term talent and drop back into the lottery? A friend brought up the idea of trading McCollum for Nerlens Noel which assures a drop back to the lottery but could be a better long term move.

Kaman and Henderson need to be moved for whatever we can get as they walk next year anyway.

I gotta say I am quite entertained with this group.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Better than I thought they'd be. What's the 2nd half schedule like? Can it be counted on to keep them in the lottery?

No way I'd trade McCollum.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I hate to sound like a pessimist, but it's hard to see a real bright future for Portland. I think the only way they can seriously contend in the next few years is if they hit the jackpot on a draft pick. Players simply don't want to play in Portland. Just look at Aldridge, he was their beloved superstar for many years and left. When is the last time a big name free agent signed with the Blazers?

I think the Blazers will be similar to what the Sonics were after George Karl left. They will be stuck in limbo. Not being bad enough to get good draft picks, but not good enough to be anything more than a 7 or 8 seed.

Alexander

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":31wtrf46 said:
Lost by 25 to the the freakin' Sixers last night. Ugh!

They handily beat the two better teams they faced on the 3-game road trip, but in between those games they get blown out by one of the worst teams ever. Pretty much sums up the team this year: inconsistent.

Alexander

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2dx895bp said:
I hate to sound like a pessimist, but it's hard to see a real bright future for Portland. I think the only way they can seriously contend in the next few years is if they hit the jackpot on a draft pick. Players simply don't want to play in Portland. Just look at Aldridge, he was their beloved superstar for many years and left. When is the last time a big name free agent signed with the Blazers?

I think the Blazers will be similar to what the Sonics were after George Karl left. They will be stuck in limbo. Not being bad enough to get good draft picks, but not good enough to be anything more than a 7 or 8 seed.

To be fair, it seems like that's the fate of most NBA franchises. There are only a handful of teams that are legit contenders in any given season, and they don't change much from year to year. And it's just too hard for an underdog to pull off the upset in the playoffs. In one game, anything can happen, but over seven? The better team will usually win.

That said, I have some confidence in the front office. They seem to have a good track record of acquiring talent, especially through the draft. In a few years, who knows what might happen. And while Portland might not seem like a destination that appeals to a lot of free agents, I think the problem is overstated. If they can get some nice pieces together, it's not THAT much of a stretch to imagine a big-name player going there to put them over the top. But you're right, they're not going to attract anyone if they're always flirting with the lottery.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Alexander":103b8swi said:
hawksfansinceday1":103b8swi said:
Lost by 25 to the the freakin' Sixers last night. Ugh!

They handily beat the two better teams they faced on the 3-game road trip, but in between those games they get blown out by one of the worst teams ever. Pretty much sums up the team this year: inconsistent.
Not to make excuses but it was game 2 of a back to back, overall they are getting better

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3jucc04w said:
Better than I thought they'd be. What's the 2nd half schedule like? Can it be counted on to keep them in the lottery?

Bill Simmons in his podcast the other day suggested a trade of Kevin Love for CJ McCollum. I'd do it in a heart beat, i'd also do the Noel trade. Easy to find guards that can score, not so easy to find skilled big men. Plus i'd rather see a more defensive oriented 2 guard to go along with Lillard.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3r0p339h said:
hawksfansinceday1":3r0p339h said:

Bill Simmons in his podcast the other day suggested a trade of Kevin Love for CJ McCollum. I'd do it in a heart beat, i'd also do the Noel trade. Easy to find guards that can score, not so easy to find skilled big men. Plus i'd rather see a more defensive oriented 2 guard to go along with Lillard.
Love plays no D IIRC. Noel might be a better choice than him for that reason alone. I like your idea of a more D oriented 2 guard, but who?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":22gux165 said:
JSeahawks":22gux165 said:
hawksfansinceday1":22gux165 said:

Love plays no D IIRC. Noel might be a better choice than him for that reason alone. I like your idea of a more D oriented 2 guard, but who?

Wish we would have kept Wesley Mathews.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1saa1f74 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1saa1f74 said:
JSeahawks":1saa1f74 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1saa1f74 said:

Agree

m0ng0

Reaction score
JSeahawks":drhswqxs said:
hawksfansinceday1":drhswqxs said:
JSeahawks":drhswqxs said:
hawksfansinceday1":drhswqxs said:

Allen Crabbe is starting to become that guy, I think he would fit well with Lillard, he plays much better defense then CJ and is getting better on the offensive side. I would prefer Noel over Love as in addition to Noel we might get more workable pieces in the trade.

Now the question is if no deals are made do we tank to keep our first round pick or go to the playoffs and get housed by the Warriors or Spurs and lose that pick?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
CJ for Love isn't happening. First of all, the salaries don't come close to matching up, Portland would be way over the cap. CJ makes a little over $2 mill per year, Love makes a little over $21 mill per year. CJ would not fit in with what the Cavs are trying to do. If the Cavs to trade a Love, it will likely be for another PF.

Portland shouldn't try to win now, because if they do it will backfire. Go ahead and sell young pieces and you get rewarded with a playoff sweep by the Spurs or Warriors.

Like I said, there is no real pretty ending for the Blazers. I think they end up in limbo (lottery pick - 7th/8th seed) for the next few years. Unless they hit the jackpot with a draftpick, this team just won't be able to compete with the elite of the West. This is arguably the best conference in the history of the NBA.

OP
OP
Atradees

Atradees

Reaction score
m0ng0":miuddstm said:
So what does everyone think about the Blazers now? They are dangerously close to an 8th seed at this point, I know we are not even half way yet, but it begs the question do we start to look at deals to get better now and possibly get a little playoff expereince or get more long term talent and drop back into the lottery? A friend brought up the idea of trading McCollum for Nerlens Noel which assures a drop back to the lottery but could be a better long term move.

Kaman and Henderson need to be moved for whatever we can get as they walk next year anyway.

m0ng0":miuddstm said:
Yep this is going to be fun

Yes, I kinda got tired of the Alderidge fadeaway and Batum disappearance. Tonights game was pretty balanced

box score with Crabbe, Plumlee, CJ, Damien and gang. (I think Batum was his usual self) Vonleh had a nice dunk.

There have been some colapses this season for sure. And a modest win streak...

CJ is handling the rock well; nice acrobatic layup.

It does beg the question...who would be a great defensive presence we could add at that 2nd tier star level?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Atradees":1efur7qy said:
m0ng0":1efur7qy said:

m0ng0":1efur7qy said:

Yes, I kinda got tired of the Alderidge fadeaway and Batum disappearance. Tonights game was pretty balanced

box score with Crabbe, Plumlee, CJ, Damien and gang. (I think Batum was his usual self) Vonleh had a nice dunk.

It does beg the question...who would be a great defensive presence we could add at that 2nd tier star level?

Well before Noah went down for the Bulls, there were rumors that they were trying to move one of their big men (probably Jokim Noah, Pau Gasol, or Taj Gibson) for a wing. That's likely off the table now that Noah is hurt. But there is still talk that Chicago would prefer to play smaller under coach Hoiberg. If Blazers could swing a trade for Gibson that would be a good trade. A frontcourt of Gibson and Plumlee would be very versatile.

Personally, I don't see the Blazers being to active at the deadline. Typically the most active teams at the deadline are contenders and the really bad teams. The Blazers are neither. Making moves to get the 7th or 8th seed in the West is not a smart move. They need to keep this team steered towards the big picture, the future.

Alexander

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":17eeudlu said:
Atradees":17eeudlu said:
m0ng0":17eeudlu said:

m0ng0":17eeudlu said:

Well before Noah went down for the Bulls, there were rumors that they were trying to move one of their big men (probably Jokim Noah, Pau Gasol, or Taj Gibson) for a wing. That's likely off the table now that Noah is hurt. But there is still talk that Chicago would prefer to play smaller under coach Hoiberg. If Blazers could swing a trade for Gibson that would be a good trade. A frontcourt of Gibson and Plumlee would be very versatile.

Personally, I don't see the Blazers being to active at the deadline. Typically the most active teams at the deadline are contenders and the really bad teams. The Blazers are neither. Making moves to get the 7th or 8th seed in the West is not a smart move. They need to keep this team steered towards the big picture, the future.

I'm guessing the Blazers don't make major trades before the deadline. That said, it's fun to speculate. Bill Simmons has been banging the "trade CJ McCollum" drum the last couple of weeks, first suggesting that they trade CJ for Kevin Love, then suggesting they do a three-way trade that would send CJ to Cleveland, Love to LA, and Blake Griffin to Portland.

I think the second trade would be a slam dunk from Portland's perspective, but I can't see how either Cleveland or LA would be interested. I also have to admit that I'd hate seeing CJ go anywhere else, even if it was for an elite player, but that's probably just the "soccer mom" in me talking.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Alexander":v5ftamir said:
Hawk-Lock":v5ftamir said:
Atradees":v5ftamir said:
m0ng0":v5ftamir said:

m0ng0":v5ftamir said:

I'm guessing the Blazers don't make major trades before the deadline. That said, it's fun to speculate. Bill Simmons has been banging the "trade CJ McCollum" drum the last couple of weeks, first suggesting that they trade CJ for Kevin Love, then suggesting they do a three-way trade that would send CJ to Cleveland, Love to LA, and Blake Griffin to Portland.

I think the second trade would be a slam dunk from Portland's perspective, but I can't see how either Cleveland or LA would be interested. I also have to admit that I'd hate seeing CJ go anywhere else, even if it was for an elite player, but that's probably just the "soccer mom" in me talking.

I think if they can get Love or Griffin for CJ, it's a no brainer. Salary wise, it doesn't matchup because CJ is still on his rookie contract, whereas Love and Griffin are both making over 20 mill per year. I just don't really see the Cavs making that move. McCollum dominates the ball a lot, and so does James and Irving. It would just be a bad mix for them. You can't have 3 guys who want to have the ball when there is only one ball to go around. And to be honest, I don't see either the Clipps or Cavs giving up their star PF for a fairly unproven SG. McCollum is good, but he puts up a ton of points on a bad team, a lot of players do that in the NBA (Rudy Gay, Brandon Knight, etc.). I have heard rumblings of a Love for Griffin trade. That would make sense if both teams want to mix up their roster.

Alexander

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3mjcw7gg said:
Alexander":3mjcw7gg said:

I think if they can get Love or Griffin for CJ, it's a no brainer. Salary wise, it doesn't matchup because CJ is still on his rookie contract, whereas Love and Griffin are both making over 20 mill per year. I just don't really see the Cavs making that move. McCollum dominates the ball a lot, and so does James and Irving. It would just be a bad mix for them. You can't have 3 guys who want to have the ball when there is only one ball to go around. And to be honest, I don't see either the Clipps or Cavs giving up their star PF for a fairly unproven SG. McCollum is good, but he puts up a ton of points on a bad team, a lot of players do that in the NBA (Rudy Gay, Brandon Knight, etc.). I have heard rumblings of a Love for Griffin trade. That would make sense if both teams want to mix up their roster.

I agree with this for the most part. I'm not as high on Kevin Love, but I'm probably suffering too much from recency bias. (He's starting to look pretty good again.) What's funny is that if you read fan comments about these trade ideas (e.g., on Blazers Edge), the vast majority of commenters think Portland would be stupid to pull the trigger. Blinded by homerism, I guess.