The REFs

Spohawks

Reaction score
bmorepunk":7tvrotq5 said:
KinesProf":7tvrotq5 said:
Wasn't great for sure. But at least it impacted both teams.

If the Bengals had won a close game that non-call would have stuck out so bad. Being on the receiving end of that and it being the difference would be pretty awful.

Bad calls (and non-calls) happen. We saw them hit both teams in this game. Sometimes a team gets disproportionately screwed and loses games because of it.

I do wonder about the people who really believe that there are actual conspiratorial things with the league and referees that happen. Why are you even still watching if you believe the outcome is already decided?

Because it's entertainment. Everyone knows movies, TV shows and WWE is fake, but they are fun to watch.

Look, with the owners paying coaches to lose, coaches losing games on purpose and players admitting the NFL is rigged, we are past the question if the NFL is real or not.

Does anyone really think it's 2 teams giving it their all and the refs are trying their best? 2022 has laid that question to rest.

It's fake, but just enjoy it...you will enjoy the next blockbuster movie right?

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Smellyman":2m3wjxab said:
or
[tweet]https://twitter.com/michaelFhurley/status/1493055083713544192[/tweet]

I was like WTF?????? when that happened.
How do they miss that, it was pretty obvious.
They also missed a false start on cincy when Burrows got sacked at his own 4 earlier.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It is curious that the two teams in a row with home game SuperBowls were their conference champions and WON.

IMAGINE THAT!!!

Sorry for the caps.

After XL if you don’t think the NFL skews games you are not watching closely enough.

Happy for the Rams but know they are now in big trouble with the cap, but that too will get fixed to re-establish the Rams in LA.

There was lousy refereeing in this game that helped and hurt both teams, but if you didn’t think that the outcome would be an LA W you are not watching what is happening.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't think that the officiating made a huge difference in this year's SB. Yes, the refs missed a big one on the no call face mask against Ramsey, but they also called a very ticky tack holding call against the Bengals on the last drive inside the 10 after letting them play fast and loose all game. It wasn't a perfectly called game, but no team had an advantage/disadvantage to anywhere near the scale that existed in XL.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Didn't make a huge difference???? They literally called a ticky tack penalty that gave them a first down. Instead of 4th down. They literally made a MASSIVE impact on the game. And for the Rams. The same Rams who were gifted a SB 4 years ago at New Orleans.

RiverDog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3nyhbfcz said:
Didn't make a huge difference???? They literally called a ticky tack penalty that gave them a first down. Instead of 4th down. They literally made a MASSIVE impact on the game. And for the Rams. The same Rams who were gifted a SB 4 years ago at New Orleans.

But they evened out. The Bengals got a gift TD on that missed face mask. That penalty gets called like it should have and it's likely that they wouldn't have had to have put together a game winning drive. There was also a play on the last drive at the goal line when Kupp got absolutely mugged that they didn't call.

Bengals fans are in no place to gripe. They were in the game until the very end, had a chance to win it even after the Rams scored, and couldn't come through.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Ramsey was MUGGING the guy in the end zone on the first Bengals drive, NO CALL. They had to settle for a FG, instead of 1st and goal. Yes, they had a huge impact.
If it wasn't the Bengals who got screwed, would you be making excuses for the Bengals? Doesn't seem like it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1vnqtw42 said:
Ramsey was MUGGING the guy in the end zone on the first Bengals drive, NO CALL. They had to settle for a FG, instead of 1st and goal. Yes, they had a huge impact.
If it wasn't the Bengals who got screwed, would you be making excuses for the Bengals? Doesn't seem like it.

There were situations on both sides where they didn't call PI or holding, which I actually liked. Let the players play.

I didn't care for the holding call inside the 10 as it was very ticky tack and didn't result in an advantage for the defender, but on the other hand, there was a very slight jersey pull, something that cues off the refs so it's not like it was some sort of phantom hold. I thought that they should have let that one go, but I've seen a lot worse.

On the other hand, refs will quite frequently start calling things close when you get down inside the 10 and at the end of the game as they don't want a repeat of the Saints/Rams a few years back. It wasn't a great officiating job, but we've all seen much more egregious performances.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
RiverDog":yrt7du1l said:
SoulfishHawk":yrt7du1l said:

But they evened out. The Bengals got a gift TD on that missed face mask. That penalty gets called like it should have and it's likely that they wouldn't have had to have put together a game winning drive. There was also a play on the last drive at the goal line when Kupp got absolutely mugged that they didn't call.

Bengals fans are in no place to gripe. They were in the game until the very end, had a chance to win it even after the Rams scored, and couldn't come through.

Missing a call on the first play of the second half does not even out intentionally calling something ticky-tacky at best on a 3rd and-goal play with 2 minutes left in the game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Go an entire game letting the players just play aggressively. And magically you call a ticky tack penalty that literally changes the outcome and helps the Rams. But yeah, the Rams are somehow not being helped when it matters. :?
It should have been 4th and goal, PERIOD. And then to double down and act like it's not sketchy at best???
Let the PLAYERS determine the game. But yet again, the Refs did all they could to help the home team. Shocker......

RiverDog

Reaction score
You guys must have an inbred hatred of the Rams that allows you to trivialize the missed face mask against Ramsey that added 7 points to the Bengals total that wouldn't have been there had the play been called like it should have. Plus I don't hear a word about the Bengals getting the ball back with 1:25 left and two timeouts needing just a FG to tie but couldn't keep their QB upright despite the Rams just rushing 4. Nor did I hear anyone talking about the missed tackles on 4th and one at the Ram's 30 that kept the Ram's hopes alive. There were a lot of places where the Bengals could have won that game.

It was a great game that, and like a lot of games, had some missed calls and bad calls that were part of the drama.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't hear you acknowledging the FACT that there was 3 or 4 OL who should have been called for an OBVIOUS false start on that "holding" call. That play shouldn't have even happened.
Instead, you continue to stick up for the Rams. The refs CHOSE to ignore the obvious.
Or the 4th and 1 where the Rams defender is CLEARLY lined up offsides. Magically.........no call.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
RiverDog":2fd9t9jw said:
You guys must have an inbred hatred of the Rams that allows you to trivialize the missed face mask against Ramsey that added 7 points to the Bengals total that wouldn't have been there had the play been called like it should have. Plus I don't hear a word about the Bengals getting the ball back with 1:25 left and two timeouts needing just a FG to tie but couldn't keep their QB upright despite the Rams just rushing 4. Nor did I hear anyone talking about the missed tackles on 4th and one at the Ram's 30 that kept the Ram's hopes alive. There were a lot of places where the Bengals could have won that game.

It was a great game that, like a lot of games, had some missed calls that were part of the drama.

I don't trivialize the missed call. It was a pretty blatant face mask to miss. I just said a missed call isn't the same as a ticky-tacky at best call and the timing of each of those calls affects the impact they have on the game. Because of this they don't come close to "evening out".

Maybe if the facemask gets called the Bengals march down the field in a 7 minute drive that leaves no time for the Rams at the end of the game to score if everything else stays the same.

Maybe if the facemask gets called the Rams have a pick 6 on the next play and end up creaming the Bengals.

Maybe if the PI doesn't get called, the Rams score on 4th and goal anyways.

Lots of maybes, but none of them matter. Even though they both resulted in touchdowns, the two examples of poor officiating weren't equal.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2rrw60bg said:
I don't hear you acknowledging the FACT that there was 3 or 4 OL who should have been called for an OBVIOUS false start on that "holding" call. That play shouldn't have even happened.
Instead, you continue to stick up for the Rams. The refs CHOSE to ignore the obvious.
Or the 4th and 1 where the Rams defender is CLEARLY lined up offsides. Magically.........no call.

I used to have a screen capture from SBXL that showed a Stealer defender lined up offsides worse than that on the play to Stevens where Locklear was called for holding. The defender that Locklear was accused of holding (there was no hold) also clearly started across the line early on the play.

Of course, the next play was the one where Matt threw an interception and then got called for an illegal block for tackling the guy with the ball. The Stealers then scored on the trick play, when that pass was thrown there were multiple OL illegally downfield.

Stud

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2889lrl9 said:
I think it was sketchy. Conspiracy? Nah.
Again, the Bengals went a quarter and a half w/out scoring to finish out that game. Rams deserved the win.

LOL. Uhm, no, the Rams did not "Deserve the win". It's cringy as hell watching the media and even Rams players celebrating their win like it was legitimate. You don't think the Bengals were trying to score?! And you don't think the NFL is aware that in a close game it only takes one to two sh--y calls to change the outcome? Rams were bailed out by the NFL and the refs. I agree with others, the NFL influences certain outcomes because it can:

2021: Rams story book ending
2020: Bucs winning at home with poster boy Brady (and the chiefs had 8 penalties in the first half to make sure it happened)
2019: New up and coming QB Mahomes and giving Andy Reid his first ring
2013. NFL wanted the #1 offense (Broncos) vs the #1 defense (Seahawks) so every call went against the 49ers in the NFC championship game
2012: Rey Lewis Retirement ring
2009: Saints win just a tad after Katrina
2001: Patriots win right after 9/11

It's always been obvious the NFL influences games, but last Sunday had to be the most arrogant and obvious I've seen the NFL get the result they wanted. I'll never look at the NFL the same again.

Stud

Reaction score
RiverDog":zfa54zcd said:

It was a great game that, like a lot of games, had some missed calls that were part of the drama.

That was just flat out missed. It was even hard to see from the TV stand point. Don't act like that was the same than 3 straight phantom flags the put the Rams at the 1.

Nobody thinks you're cool here for trying to take the opposite opinion. Go chug some soy to calm down.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, honestly yesterday I felt like they deserved the win. But, the more I think about it, I've changed my tune. The refs clearly did their thing, yet again.
Too bad because they held the Bengals to zero points for a quarter and a half. Just would like to see the PLAYERS determine the outcome. That's not much to ask.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Stud":ezxade2a said:
That was just flat out missed. It was even hard to see from the TV stand point. Don't act like that was the same than 3 straight phantom flags the put the Rams at the 1.

Nobody thinks you're cool here for trying to take the opposite opinion. Go chug some soy to calm down.

I saw one call in the red zone that was technically correct but that was ticky tack that I thought they should let go because it didn't give the defender an advantage. The others were legit IMO. There was also a blatant hold on the Bengals that they didn't flag on the TD play that was negated by offsetting penalties. It's not unusual for refs to start calling things a little tighter in a congested area inside the 10 yard line and when the game is inside 2 minutes.

But as long as you guys are at it, why don't you all complain about the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when the Bengals player came on the field to help celebrate an interception. Was that part of the conspiracy, too?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Ramsey was mugging the receiver in the end zone on the first Bengals drive, no call. 3 points instead of 7.
Again, BLATANT FALSE START by several O Lineman on that play at the end of the game. Not only did they ignore that, they called the ticky tack penalty. Oh look, not 4th and goal, but 1st and goal. Gift.
As if this place isn't confusing as it is. We have a Hawks fan fighting tooth and nail for the fricken RAMS :?

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Stud":2f2mdjn4 said:
SoulfishHawk":2f2mdjn4 said:
I think it was sketchy. Conspiracy? Nah.
Again, the Bengals went a quarter and a half w/out scoring to finish out that game. Rams deserved the win.

LOL. Uhm, no, the Rams did not "Deserve the win". It's cringy as hell watching the media and even Rams players celebrating their win like it was legitimate. You don't think the Bengals were trying to score?! And you don't think the NFL is aware that in a close game it only takes one to two sh--y calls to change the outcome? Rams were bailed out by the NFL and the refs. I agree with others, the NFL influences certain outcomes because it can:

2021: Rams story book ending
2020: Bucs winning at home with poster boy Brady (and the chiefs had 8 penalties in the first half to make sure it happened)
2019: New up and coming QB Mahomes and giving Andy Reid his first ring
2013. NFL wanted the #1 offense (Broncos) vs the #1 defense (Seahawks) so every call went against the 49ers in the NFC championship game
2012: Rey Lewis Retirement ring
2009: Saints win just a tad after Katrina
2001: Patriots win right after 9/11

It's always been obvious the NFL influences games, but last Sunday had to be the most arrogant and obvious I've seen the NFL get the result they wanted. I'll never look at the NFL the same again.

The jobbing by the officials was way more blatant in SBXL and that doesn't even make your list?