The Santa Clara 49ers implosion is imminent!

TAB420

Reaction score
That's the funny part. They failed to share that in RW 3 years with Seattle, only 7 teams, counting playoffs have scored more than 25 points against them.

Laloosh

Reaction score
TAB420":3v2ru2lf said:
That's the funny part. They failed to share that in RW 3 years with Seattle, only 7 teams, counting playoffs have scored more than 25 points against them.

Actually, that's (in large part) the basis of their argument. Their spin on it is that since he doesn't have to deal with it very often, the defense is masking his ineptitude and that his 2-9 record reinforces their theory. It's cherry picking at it's worst.

They'll latch onto it though. Like you said, they'll ignore the other posts and keep patting each other on the back with the 2-9 thing. Pretty funny imo.

TAB420

Reaction score
It's like a yes man convention over there. One thing I really like about this board is, even if your pro Seahawk on a subject the members on this board will keep you keep grounded. We all like to dream a little, but the BS button gets used often.

TAB420

Reaction score
Laloosh":b60kpgxm said:
TAB420":b60kpgxm said:

Actually, that's (in large part) the basis of their argument. Their spin on it is that since he doesn't have to deal with it very often, the defense is masking his ineptitude and that his 2-9 record reinforces their theory. It's cherry picking at it's worst.

They'll latch onto it though. Like you said, they'll ignore the other posts and keep patting each other on the back with the 2-9 thing. Pretty funny imo.

CplPile has defused every post they have made trying to belittle Wilson. I see a Ban coming...lol

Laloosh

Reaction score
TAB420":365g0s38 said:
Laloosh":365g0s38 said:
TAB420":365g0s38 said:

CplPile has defused every post they have made trying to belittle Wilson. I see a Ban coming...lol
Wouldn't doubt it.

Largent80

Reaction score
The cool part about this thread is that the implosion actually happened and will continue. It is a piece of moving Art.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Largent80":2mw9482g said:
The cool part about this thread is that the implosion actually happened and will continue. It is a piece of moving Art.

The cool part about this thread, is that your avatar is in it.

Largent80

Reaction score
Laloosh":2irqdq88 said:
Largent80":2irqdq88 said:

:th2thumbs: And we all want to be IN my avatar.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Largent80":224ubrig said:
Laloosh":224ubrig said:
Largent80":224ubrig said:

Incorrect. :mrgreen:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TAB420":1k2zo6oa said:
It's like a yes man convention over there. One thing I really like about this board is, even if your pro Seahawk on a subject the members on this board will keep you keep grounded. We all like to dream a little, but the BS button gets used often.
They are a very special type of stupid over there. Not surprising however.
Wilson could win the next 10 superbowls with 400 yards a game passing and the troglodytes over there would still say he is overrated. What evs. If they want to insist on playing the fool, I say let 'em.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
How the 49ers plunged from greatness to dysfunction in one year

Such is the bizarre, staggering tale of the 49ers and their ugly divorce from Jim Harbaugh. Usually, on-field prosperity trumps any political tug-of-warring behind the scenes, realizing that many of football’s most triumphant coaches — from Lombardi to Parcells to Belichick to Walsh — have won multiple championships with complex personalities. Whatever Harbaugh was doing to distract or disrupt the daily mission, it’s hard to believe that could overwhelm three consecutive NFC title-game appearances.

Somehow, CEO Jed York and general manager Trent Baalke couldn’t fix the issue, maybe because they didn’t want to. It hardly seems coincidental that the team’s fortunes subsequently have regressed with frightening speed, first with an 8-8 season, then with Harbaugh’s departure to the University of Michigan, then with the peculiar in-house hiring of unproven Jim Tomsula as head coach, then with the mass exodus of quality leaders and cornerstones such as Patrick Willis and Frank Gore. When linebacker Chris Borland made his groundbreaking decision to retire at age 24 rather than risk a career of head injuries, the 49ers seemed as cursed as they are chaotic.

For three years, no NFL team was shinier. Harbaugh reminded everyone of this at every turn with almost cornballish enthusiasm. “Who’s got it better than us? Nooo-body!” the hyperintense leader would shout as his players echoed the affirmation. He was the first NFL coach to win five playoff games in his first seasons, an astounding turnaround from a team that had won 44 percent of its games the previous three years. The future looked wonderful. The Niners were a 21st-century San Francisco treat, and there was a flashback symmetry to the early days of Joe Montana and Bill Walsh, even to Dwight Clark and The Catch. What could go wrong?

Everything.

At some point, York and Baalke stopped listening to Harbaugh. Never mind that neither had been responsible for many of the building blocks that helped create the success — Willis, Gore, Vernon Davis, Justin Smith, Joe Staley — and that most league insiders cited Harbaugh as the driving force behind the surge. They were eager to move on from him, disregarding that the 49ers had missed the playoffs the previous eight seasons before his arrival. The ever-burgeoning divide precipitated a breakup that York summed up by saying the team and Harbaugh had “mutually parted.” Harbaugh later told a Bay Area columnist that he felt the front office abandoned him, saying, “I was told I wouldn’t be the coach anymore. And then ... you can call it 'mutual.' I mean, I wasn’t going to put the 49ers in the position to have a coach they didn’t want any more. But that’s the truth of it. I didn’t leave the 49ers. I felt like the 49er hierarchy left me.” It was typical of the double-talk that started a year earlier when mysterious whispers ended up in news stories from unnamed organization sources — almost all of it anti-Harbaugh.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/ ... id=2924921

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1g1wy9pa said:

Such is the bizarre, staggering tale of the 49ers and their ugly divorce from Jim Harbaugh. Usually, on-field prosperity trumps any political tug-of-warring behind the scenes, realizing that many of football’s most triumphant coaches — from Lombardi to Parcells to Belichick to Walsh — have won multiple championships with complex personalities. Whatever Harbaugh was doing to distract or disrupt the daily mission, it’s hard to believe that could overwhelm three consecutive NFC title-game appearances.

Somehow, CEO Jed York and general manager Trent Baalke couldn’t fix the issue, maybe because they didn’t want to. It hardly seems coincidental that the team’s fortunes subsequently have regressed with frightening speed, first with an 8-8 season, then with Harbaugh’s departure to the University of Michigan, then with the peculiar in-house hiring of unproven Jim Tomsula as head coach, then with the mass exodus of quality leaders and cornerstones such as Patrick Willis and Frank Gore. When linebacker Chris Borland made his groundbreaking decision to retire at age 24 rather than risk a career of head injuries, the 49ers seemed as cursed as they are chaotic.

For three years, no NFL team was shinier. Harbaugh reminded everyone of this at every turn with almost cornballish enthusiasm. “Who’s got it better than us? Nooo-body!” the hyperintense leader would shout as his players echoed the affirmation. He was the first NFL coach to win five playoff games in his first seasons, an astounding turnaround from a team that had won 44 percent of its games the previous three years. The future looked wonderful. The Niners were a 21st-century San Francisco treat, and there was a flashback symmetry to the early days of Joe Montana and Bill Walsh, even to Dwight Clark and The Catch. What could go wrong?

Everything.

At some point, York and Baalke stopped listening to Harbaugh. Never mind that neither had been responsible for many of the building blocks that helped create the success — Willis, Gore, Vernon Davis, Justin Smith, Joe Staley — and that most league insiders cited Harbaugh as the driving force behind the surge. They were eager to move on from him, disregarding that the 49ers had missed the playoffs the previous eight seasons before his arrival. The ever-burgeoning divide precipitated a breakup that York summed up by saying the team and Harbaugh had “mutually parted.” Harbaugh later told a Bay Area columnist that he felt the front office abandoned him, saying, “I was told I wouldn’t be the coach anymore. And then ... you can call it 'mutual.' I mean, I wasn’t going to put the 49ers in the position to have a coach they didn’t want any more. But that’s the truth of it. I didn’t leave the 49ers. I felt like the 49er hierarchy left me.” It was typical of the double-talk that started a year earlier when mysterious whispers ended up in news stories from unnamed organization sources — almost all of it anti-Harbaugh.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/ ... ontent?oid"'=2924921

Is that guy on the "approved writers" list? 8)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":258lx4yf said:
Largent80":258lx4yf said:
Laloosh":258lx4yf said:
Largent80":258lx4yf said:

Incorrect. :mrgreen:
RedAlice might agree with you MHG.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3ezus044 said:
dontbelikethat":3ezus044 said:

Everything.

Never heard of him.

Honestly, kinda tiresome. Media now just looking for new ways all the time to write the epitaph of the 49ers before they've had a single practice. They could be good. They could suck...

...but the media now just beating a dead horse. There is nothing new here to discuss until they start playing games. Instead all we get are straw man articles in response to quotes from York, Baalke, and Tomsula that attempt to do nothing but paint them as complete morons by taking quotes completely out of context...intentionally.

More power to them. Its works. People read the stuff...but it has little to do with reality. York very well might have totally screwed the pooch and killed the team. What I'm sure of though is that nobody writing any of these articles has the first clue how it will all turn out.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":2i2wq7kf said:
Sports Hernia":2i2wq7kf said:
dontbelikethat":2i2wq7kf said:

Everything.

Never heard of him.

Honestly, kinda tiresome. Media now just looking for new ways all the time to write the epitaph of the 49ers before they've had a single practice. They could be good. They could suck...

...but the media now just beating a dead horse. There is nothing new here to discuss until they start playing games. Instead all we get are straw man articles in response to quotes from York, Baalke, and Tomsula that attempt to do nothing but paint them as complete morons by taking quotes completely out of context...intentionally.

More power to them. Its works. People read the stuff...but it has little to do with reality. York very well might have totally screwed the pooch and killed the team. What I'm sure of though is that nobody writing any of these articles has the first clue how it will all turn out.

Writers these days get paid for their opinions. Saying that you don't know what is going to happen would make for a REALLY boring article and make your posts quite boring too Marv. Nobody KNOWS what is going to happen, we're all just guessing, but the people guessing that the niners will get worse before they get better have some ammunition to go along with their arguments. The "straw man" articles would claim that there will be no fall off and the niners will be better this season. "Straw man" articles are written with nothing factual to back their articles. There IS evidence that the niners will probably be worse in the next few seasons than they were in their last few seasons.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think there are two things that always seem to get swept under the rug in these eulogies for the 49ers:

1) They went 8-8 last year. They very well may be worse next year than that, but the standard of better or worse is at .500. Whenever you see people repeatedly raising the specter of Harbaugh's first three years, they might be trying to sell you somethng, as he was the coach for four years...

2) Harbaugh was with the 9ers as long as he has ever been anywhere as a coach. He spent three years at USD, and they made no effort to retain him when he went to Stanford. He was with Stanford for four years, and they made no effort to retain him when he went to the 49ers. This DOES NOT mean that the 9ers org shouldn't have made it work with Harbaugh, or that York is a good owner or Baalke is a good GM or anything else, but the good 9ers beat reporters, even during his 3rd year, were saying that Harbaugh isn't the type of guy to stay one place for too long, and that they thought he wouldn't be with the 9ers beyond his contract.

So, no doubt the 9ers offseason has been what looks to be a whole mess of fail, but the case should stand on its own. Erasing last year because it doesn't fit the narrative and playing aloof to Harbaugh's repeated struggles with orgs over time doesn't strengthen one's case, it makes it suspect. Smart writers (and writers worth reading IMO) don't do this stuff because it makes for a more nuanced and interesting story, rather than a paint-by-numbers Heroes and Villains story, which is easy, but almost never, ever reflective of reality. Likewise, if a writer wants to make the eulogy argument, the smart one's should know that they already have enough ammo without without goosing the narrative, IMO.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
References to the media aside (dismissing undesired news with a reference to a mysterious, faceless entity is so easy now, just say MEDIA), the whisper campaign to smear Harbaugh was real and came from the offices of York and Baalke. The used a handfull of credentialed reporters to leak news about Harbaugh losing locker rooms, stuff like that.

What future can a team have if the guys running it go in for that cloak and dagger shit so much?

York is going to turn on Baalke. It is only a matter of when and why. I'm not trying to be all GOT about this thing, but a worm is a worm is a worm, and York isn't suddenly going to go from the dude who spouted mutual decision when 99 percent knew it to be bs to upfront and honest about things. A Joffrey is a Joffrey.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1gxeg6ga said:
I think there are two things that always seem to get swept under the rug in these eulogies for the 49ers:

1) They went 8-8 last year. They very well may be worse next year than that, but the standard of better or worse is at .500. Whenever you see people repeatedly raising the specter of Harbaugh's first three years, they might be trying to sell you somethng, as he was the coach for four years...

2) Harbaugh was with the 9ers as long as he has ever been anywhere as a coach. He spent three years at USD, and they made no effort to retain him when he went to Stanford. He was with Stanford for four years, and they made no effort to retain him when he went to the 49ers. This DOES NOT mean that the 9ers org shouldn't have made it work with Harbaugh, or that York is a good owner or Baalke is a good GM or anything else, but the good 9ers beat reporters, even during his 3rd year, were saying that Harbaugh isn't the type of guy to stay one place for too long, and that they thought he wouldn't be with the 9ers beyond his contract.

So, no doubt the 9ers offseason has been what looks to be a whole mess of fail, but the case should stand on its own. Erasing last year because it doesn't fit the narrative and playing aloof to Harbaugh's repeated struggles with orgs over time doesn't strengthen one's case, it makes it suspect. Without doing the stuff the story is more nuanced and interesting for one, and the if a writer wants to make the eulogy case, it's already strong enough without goosing it, IMO.
Those things are all true. I can look at all the anecdotal evidence that Harbaugh is hard to deal with, but in the end I can't get past how underhanded York acts, and he isn't going anywhere. When York speaks about what he wants for the Niners, it feels like the guy has a fundamentally flawed vision for what to do.

As far as 2014, it is the outlier in the 4 years, and when I look at the injuries to the O-line and the entire defense, 8-8 was a coaching miracle. That rested on Fangio, not Harbaugh, to be totally honest. Still, there is this feeling that won't go away that there were two guys who wanted Harbaugh to fail more than anybody, and they were his bosses. Egos have been behind precipitous declines before, and this just feels like that. Maybe this year will prove me wrong, I am on record saying that a QB like Colin is good enough to win just based on the matchup problems he creates vs more than half the teams in the league, but 8 or 9 wins is not the baseline York is looking for.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":z7poteiz said:
References to the media aside (dismissing undesired news with a reference to a mysterious, faceless entity is so easy now, just say MEDIA), the whisper campaign to smear Harbaugh was real and came from the offices of York and Baalke. The used a handfull of credentialed reporters to leak news about Harbaugh losing locker rooms, stuff like that.

You're simply repeating conjecture from Tim Kawakami and asserting it's real, though. If not, link?

And what did the "whisper smear campaign" that you're referencing actually consist of? Kawakami repeats all the time, and now it gets repeated, but never precisely specifies what he's talking about. What are you referencing?

There were two stories about the 9ers locker room last year:

1) That the team wasn't using one locker room, and part of the team was dressing before and after games in the old locker room while the rest was in a different locker room. This was true. The reports came out during the pre-season, from beat reporters who witnessed it while doing locker room interviews. There's no smear campaign, as it was verifiable fact.

2) Later in the season there was a report (I forget where it originated) that some players had grown tired of Harbaugh's schtick and had started to tune him out. Everyone from some of the players to York and Baalke denied the truth of it. To be fair it was probably true (Hawks fans of all people should know that Harbaugh's style isn't for everyone from Baldwin and Sherman, and Wickersham's VERY GOOD and very even profile of Harbaugh from Oct. makes it clear that it would be far from unreasonable for this to be true; see here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11625 ... difficulty ). Were there are other "dissension in the locker room smear pieces" that I don't know about? To put too fine a point on it, the 9ers had one of these stories last year, and the Seahawks had several (e.g. Players don't think Wilson is black enough, the team was divided in half, Lynch refused to get on the team bus when Percy was cut). Just as those several stories and leaks aren't indicative of J.S. creating a whisper campaign against P.C., we're seriously supposed to believe that one story about the 9ers locker room that everyone circled the wagons against is the "whisper campaign?" I don't buy it.

Aside from that, the only stories that you might be referencing were the ones from after the 9ers were eliminated from the playoffs about how Harbaugh likely wasn't going to be back. That was true. If none of this is what you're referencing, what is it?

All that said, absolutely agreed that we're talking about individuals news folks, not "the media." I do think it's worth making a distinction between reporters and opinion writers, though.

The REPORTERS who cover the 49ers are: Matt Maoicco, Matt Barros, Cam Inman, Eric Branch, Grant Cohn, (and to a lesser degree) Kevin Lynch, Paul Gutierrez, and David Fucillo.

The SPORTS COLUMNISTS who sometimes write about the 49ers are: Tim Kawakami, Lowell Cohn, Ann Killion, Ray Ratto, whoever the guy linked above is (etc.)

Latest posts