The Santa Clara 49ers implosion is imminent!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3a0b7y92 said:
One of the worst posters on this site.

In the post you're quoting from last off-season it looks like he was saying that the 9ers window with the team as it was had closed, and that the same thing would happen to Seattle starting this year.

So far, he was right about the 9ers, and it remains to be seen if he'll be right about the Hawks.

All to say that if he's one of the worst posters on the site, this is a weird example to hunt up as an example of that, as in this post he made two predictions: one which was correct, and one which is still pending.

Marvin49

Reaction score
original poster":1p0davct said:
Expectations have certainly been lowered dramaticly which is no doubt a good thing for them, in reality they will definitely meet or exceed expectations. I'd love to hear from a genuine 49'ers fan what W/L ratio they expect this season.

To be honest I really have no expectation.

I don't mean that to sound as if they will be bad, but more that I really don't have any idea what to expect.

From both a coaching and personnel perspective, they haven't so much traded the good for the bad as traded the known for the unknown.

Can Tomsula and staff be as good as Harbaugh and staff? Harbaugh and staff were pretty damn good so on the surface it seems to be a resounding no....but Harbaugh had a blind spot for Greg Roman. As much as Seattle fans and ALOT of Niner fans want to heap the blame on Kap, Roman did very little to help that offense go over the last two years. Roman is an OUTSTANDING run game coordinator, but not much of a pass game coordinator. There is a reason Roman only coached the run game at Stanford and will do the same in Buffalo.

Can Geep Chryst be better than that? Dunno.

On defense it would appear to be a downgrade from Fangio to Mangini.

Can Carlos Hyde, Kendall Hunter, and Reggie Bush make up for the loss of Frank Gore? Frank is my all-time favorite Niner so I don't want to to sound like I am minimizing his loss, particularly in the locker room. However, Frank hasn't really been the Frank we remember for a few years now. Hyde has a juice to him that Frank may never have had...tho last year he seemed to lack Franks vision and patience.

We'll see.

WR? I think adding Smith is exactly what they've needed for a few year now...finally a guy to vertically stretch the field.

There are SEVERAL other positions where I can go into the known vs unknown conversation.

So the best way I can answer your question is "I have no idea". 6-10? 12-4? Neither result would be more surprising to me because I have no idea what to expect.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2eovmghw said:
hawksfansinceday1":2eovmghw said:
One of the worst posters on this site.

In the post you're quoting from last off-season it looks like he was saying that the 9ers window with the team as it was had closed, and that the same thing would happen to Seattle starting this year.

So far, he was right about the 9ers, and it remains to be seen if he'll be right about the Hawks.

All to say that if he's one of the worst posters on the site, this is a weird example to hunt up as an example of that, as in this post he made two predictions: one which was correct, and one which is still pending.

You've got your time line off a bit. His post was discussing what would happen this past year. How long does his prediction get to keep "pending?"

He was wrong about the Seahawks. He was predicting their "window closing" after beating the Broncos. The team then went 12-4 and lost in the next Super Bowl. (is that a "window closing?") The rest of his rationale is also incorrect. Lynch is back (again). The roster reshuffle, so far, is losing a CB and a C for an All-State TE/WR. The team's cap situation is manageable this year and moreso in the next few years. They have a young QB they are confident in.

It is a classic example of "well, it will happen to you" and then just repeating it until it does. There is no incite involved, just a recognition that odds are, one day he may be right. For that matter, you can go to a roulette table, put your money on 0 and wait, wait, wait (and wait) until you get it. Then turn around and tell everyone "See! Told you!"

It's really just trolling in an attempt to make himself feel better.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1st8bx53 said:
You've got your time line off a bit. His post was discussing what would happen this past year. How long does his prediction get to keep "pending?"

He was wrong about the Seahawks. He was predicting their "window closing" after beating the Broncos.

I'm going off the timeline that Rich gave in his post that started this. The key parts:

RichNhansom":1st8bx53 said:
From last off season in the "the Santa Clara 49ers implosion is imminent" thread:

Posted by lvnginhwktwn:

but I think their window is going to close after this season

If the statement was made last offseason as Rich suggests, then the prediction about what would happen after this season is still pending.

As for if LVNG actually made the statement before the Super Bowl and during the post-season (meaning Rich was wrong in his summary about when the statement was made, I don't really care either way, but as Rich understood it there's no internal logic to his post, which was my point (one prediction has come true, the other is still pending; not a good example of why a poster is deserving of condemnation).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1mwv0ry7 said:
Uncle Si":1mwv0ry7 said:

He was wrong about the Seahawks. He was predicting their "window closing" after beating the Broncos.

I'm going off the timeline that Rich gave in his post that started this. The key parts:

RichNhansom":1mwv0ry7 said:
From last off season in the "the Santa Clara 49ers implosion is imminent" thread:

Posted by lvnginhwktwn:

If the statement was made last offseason as Rich suggests, then the prediction about what would happen after this season is still pending.

As for if LVNG actually made the statement before the Super Bowl and during the post-season (meaning Rich was wrong in his summary about when the statement was made, I don't really care either way, but as Rich understood it there's no internal logic to his post, which was my point (one prediction has come true, the other is still pending; not a good example of why a poster is deserving of condemnation).

Not to argue semantics, but if it was last offseason, that was between Super Bowl appearances for the Seahawks. Given that in the subsequent 10 months the team went back to a Super Bowl, not sure how it's still "pending"... how much timeline does he get.

Whole thing means literally nothing to both of us, but just saying I understand the incredulity he is receiving from some.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1mlqtgks said:
Popeyejones":1mlqtgks said:
Uncle Si":1mlqtgks said:

RichNhansom":1mlqtgks said:

Posted by lvnginhwktwn:

Not to argue semantics, but if it was last offseason, that was between Super Bowl appearances for the Seahawks. Given that in the subsequent 10 months the team went back to a Super Bowl, not sure how it's still "pending"... how much timeline does he get.

Whole thing means literally nothing to both of us, but just saying I understand the incredulity he is receiving from some.

Honestly...I think peeps need to stop with grading or slamming people on predictions. They are exactly that.

I get BS all the time here about how most of this forum predicted the downfall of the 49ers and how I and many other should have "just listened". Come on now.

Did YOU GUYS listen when I said that the trade for Harvin was a bad one? Too much in draft picks and money for a player that his previous team viewed as a cancer? Hell no. According to most it was a genius move and I was only seeing what I wanted to see and what I hoped would happen.

Do I get credit for that one? Nope. Peeps only count what's convenient to their argument.

All of us are sometimes right and sometimes wrong so trying to pin the grade of a poster on an unknowable prediction seems kinda ludicrous to me. We are all guessing here.

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't think saying the 49ers are taking a huge step back with all the losses of coaches and players next season is a reaching prediction, Tomsula la la la may be a good coach of the line, but lets see how he is thinking on his feet during game situations with a whole team to guide. Not to mention what is sure to be some classic post game interviews.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":2xosholy said:
I don't think saying the 49ers are taking a huge step back with all the losses of coaches and players next season is a reaching prediction, Tomsula la la la may be a good coach of the line, but lets see how he is thinking on his feet during game situations with a whole team to guide. Not to mention what is sure to be some classic post game interviews.

I referring to people who were making that prediction LAST year and now act as if we Niner fans should have listened to me.

I don't hear the same about any of my Harvin predictions.

Any predictions about THIS year with the Niners...who the hell knows really. I don't have the first clue what to expect.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Marvin49":2d7l8q03 said:
Uncle Si":2d7l8q03 said:
Popeyejones":2d7l8q03 said:
Uncle Si":2d7l8q03 said:

RichNhansom":2d7l8q03 said:

Posted by lvnginhwktwn:

Honestly...I think peeps need to stop with grading or slamming people on predictions. They are exactly that.

I get BS all the time here about how most of this forum predicted the downfall of the 49ers and how I and many other should have "just listened". Come on now.

Did YOU GUYS listen when I said that the trade for Harvin was a bad one? Too much in draft picks and money for a player that his previous team viewed as a cancer? Hell no. According to most it was a genius move and I was only seeing what I wanted to see and what I hoped would happen.

Do I get credit for that one? Nope. Peeps only count what's convenient to their argument.

All of us are sometimes right and sometimes wrong so trying to pin the grade of a poster on an unknowable prediction seems kinda ludicrous to me. We are all guessing here.

No one has a problem with predictions that come with substance. Not sure the one levied above had any. Just wishful thinking with an endless open to fall back on.

Congrats on the Harvin thing though. Great rant too.

rlkats

Reaction score
Can we rename the thread. To.

Santa Clara 49ers implosion has happened!

original poster

Reaction score
Marvin49":2t6tqqf5 said:
original poster":2t6tqqf5 said:
Expectations have certainly been lowered dramaticly which is no doubt a good thing for them, in reality they will definitely meet or exceed expectations. I'd love to hear from a genuine 49'ers fan what W/L ratio they expect this season.

To be honest I really have no expectation.

I don't mean that to sound as if they will be bad, but more that I really don't have any idea what to expect.

From both a coaching and personnel perspective, they haven't so much traded the good for the bad as traded the known for the unknown.

Can Tomsula and staff be as good as Harbaugh and staff? Harbaugh and staff were pretty damn good so on the surface it seems to be a resounding no....but Harbaugh had a blind spot for Greg Roman. As much as Seattle fans and ALOT of Niner fans want to heap the blame on Kap, Roman did very little to help that offense go over the last two years. Roman is an OUTSTANDING run game coordinator, but not much of a pass game coordinator. There is a reason Roman only coached the run game at Stanford and will do the same in Buffalo.

Can Geep Chryst be better than that? Dunno.

On defense it would appear to be a downgrade from Fangio to Mangini.

Can Carlos Hyde, Kendall Hunter, and Reggie Bush make up for the loss of Frank Gore? Frank is my all-time favorite Niner so I don't want to to sound like I am minimizing his loss, particularly in the locker room. However, Frank hasn't really been the Frank we remember for a few years now. Hyde has a juice to him that Frank may never have had...tho last year he seemed to lack Franks vision and patience.

We'll see.

WR? I think adding Smith is exactly what they've needed for a few year now...finally a guy to vertically stretch the field.

There are SEVERAL other positions where I can go into the known vs unknown conversation.

So the best way I can answer your question is "I have no idea". 6-10? 12-4? Neither result would be more surprising to me because I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks for the breakdown, Marv. Appreciate it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rlkats":9l6sngxc said:
Can we rename the thread. To.

Santa Clara 49ers implosion has happened!
Well we would, but then Marvin and Popeye will go write a wall of text saying "anything can happen". 8)

Unrelated fun fact:
"Anything can happen" was the actual 1982 Seattle Mariners slogan.... That season was not a good one.

RedAlice

Reaction score
An 11 year old asked me if I thought the Niners would be better than last year and make the play-offs. I adoooore him.

Me: Well, you do understand the off-season who retired, what has happened?

Thank God this is my German friend's kid, we are both German. It's like facts on the table, no playin.

Kid: Justin Smith retired.

Me: and, who else retired?

then: jFC, it's up to me to tell this kid about Willis and C? really? Do Niner kids not have PARENTS?

this did not go well. Like I have no children and I was mothering this little Niner fan. THEN he brought up Gore, after he was crying.

The entire episode ended w me assuring him Niners might be OK. I was trying to think of anything I know positive. He loves K - so, that was how we wiped eyes: YOU have Kap.

HIm: Kap is better than they play him. Do you know that???? starts spouting off all insane. A ton of stuff that is prolly relevant to any Niner fan, which I am not. So, I just smile.

Little Niner fans......damn he loves your QB. And he actually knows your Oline and D. Gonna love hangin w my boy next year. Also, gonna make him work to know what you are doing on that team.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RedAlice":43nkt4wy said:
An 11 year old asked me if I thought the Niners would be better than last year and make the play-offs. I adoooore him.

Me: Well, you do understand the off-season who retired, what has happened?

Thank God this is my German friend's kid, we are both German. It's like facts on the table, no playin.

Kid: Justin Smith retired.

Me: and, who else retired?

then: jFC, it's up to me to tell this kid about Willis and C? really? Do Niner kids not have PARENTS?

this did not go well. Like I have no children and I was mothering this little Niner fan. THEN he brought up Gore, after he was crying.

The entire episode ended w me assuring him Niners might be OK. I was trying to think of anything I know positive. He loves K - so, that was how we wiped eyes: YOU have Kap.

HIm: Kap is better than they play him. Do you know that???? starts spouting off all insane. A ton of stuff that is prolly relevant to any Niner fan, which I am not. So, I just smile.

Little Niner fans......damn he loves your QB. And he actually knows your Oline and D. Gonna love hangin w my boy next year. Also, gonna make him work to know what you are doing on that team.

Just for the record...

...Justin Smith hasn't retired yet. :D Still might, but he hasn't decided yet.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":38v3xm7f said:
\Not to argue semantics, but if it was last offseason, that was between Super Bowl appearances for the Seahawks.

Yeah, exactly. Last offseason he said the Seahawks window is going to close after the upcoming season, meaning he believed that the Seahawks' window closed with their loss to the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

As for if he's correct in that assertion or not, I don't think he is (I don't think their window has closed), but the truth his prediction is still pending, as we don't know if the Seahawks' window closed with their loss to the Patriots or not.

We do however, know that the 9ers window appears to have closed with the loss to the Seahawks in the NFCC two years ago.

So, so far, he was right on one point and the other is still pending.

I think we can probably both agree that neither of us care that much though? :lol:

:th2thumbs:

HansGruber

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3lvq8vmg said:
Uncle Si":3lvq8vmg said:
\Not to argue semantics, but if it was last offseason, that was between Super Bowl appearances for the Seahawks.

Yeah, exactly. Last offseason he said the Seahawks window is going to close after the upcoming season, meaning he believed that the Seahawks' window closed with their loss to the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

As for if he's correct in that assertion or not, I don't think he is (I don't think their window has closed), but the truth his prediction is still pending, as we don't know if the Seahawks' window closed with their loss to the Patriots or not.

We do however, know that the 9ers window appears to have closed with the loss to the Seahawks in the NFCC two years ago.

So, so far, he was right on one point and the other is still pending.

I think we can probably both agree that neither of us care that much though? :lol:

:th2thumbs:
Anyone who'd argue that the Seahawks window just closed is a fool. The team has all the major pieces in place that took us to back to back superbowls and has just upgraded with a serious new weapon.

Anyone can argue that the window has closed for the Seahawks, but doing so is like saying the world will end in 3 months. No thinking person takes that seriously, and in fact, it is fully mock-worthy in its stupidity.

TAB420

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me, but it went a little different.

Me: So you like football, what's your favorite team?

Kid: The 49'ers.

Me: Throat punch.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3gyhk73f said:
No one has a problem with predictions that come with substance. Not sure the one levied above had any. Just wishful thinking with an endless open to fall back on.

That really is the beauty of these predictions... If they're wrong, they can just fall back on "luck", "nfl conspiracy" or "team x had injuries and would have won the division", etc.

None of us know what to expect but these Santa Clara based oracles don't have to answer to anybody if they're wrong so why not make baseless predictions that in the end, can be classified as wishful thinking as you point out.

I read Niner fans predicting Seattle's demise all season. Rather than shut up or admit that they were wrong in the end, they just latch onto XLIX's outcome and hope that we're somehow following their trajectory after a SB loss. Misery loves company and they're dying for some company...

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":3mtfges8 said:
Uncle Si":3mtfges8 said:

That really is the beauty of these predictions... If they're wrong, they can just fall back on "luck", "nfl conspiracy" or "team x had injuries and would have won the division", etc.

None of us know what to expect but these Santa Clara based oracles don't have to answer to anybody if they're wrong so why not make baseless predictions that in the end, can be classified as wishful thinking as you point out.

I read Niner fans predicting Seattle's demise all season. Rather than shut up or admit that they were wrong in the end, they just latch onto XLIX's outcome and hope that we're somehow following their trajectory after a SB loss. Misery loves company and they're dying for some company...

Ya know what? Call me a homer (not that anyone has ever needed my permission to do that) but I'm pretty psyched for this season. I don't really know what to expect, but I'm looking forward to seeing a number of young guys getting their shots to contribute.

Really not miserable at all. Disappointed to see Gore and Willis go in particular, but I really want to see what Hyde and others can do.

Theres been a long debate here on Baalke's merits as a GM. Now we get to settle that debate. A lot of young guys he drafted are going to get their shot. No more "he's living off Scots drafts". This will be his baby.

Some of you have made up their minds and think that the Niners will crumble into the abyss. Can't really argue with you. I have no idea. What I can say is we're about to find out.

The nice part is that even though I have nothing to do with the team and have nothing to do with the outcome of games, I've felt this constant pressure for them to be in the SB and win it since 2011. Now, that's gone. Its off my shoulders. I can just enjoy the game and see how good they can be.

Long story short, really...not miserable at all.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Thought it was assumed that I wasn't talking about you, Marv. People like lvinginmopetown however, have been relegated to passive aggressive jabs and corny ass memes as their only contribution to the board though. It's much more prevalent on Niner boards but that's to be expected. My point, is that many of your fellow Niner fans have all but given up on the team and the "are we headed for the dark ages" polls over there are a perfect example.

Rather than say "well, we didn't quite get there but let's see how these guys do", they just spend their time hoping that Seattle will fall on their collective faces.

Latest posts