The three losses that will bite

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Losing to the Rams, Panthers, and Packers will be hard to overcome at the end of the season when playoff positions are determined. Each of these conference games were possible to win although the Packers game was a more positive loss than a letdown which both the others were. The loss to Cincie was another late letdown where the team didn't finish and let the game slip away.

Each of these games were winnable which is even more frustrating because the three conference games were just not games the team finished off, or made a defensive mistake leading to the loss. Those games will figure to be quite hard to overcome when the playoff calculation are made as each of the Panthers and the Packers now hold deciding games over the Hawks and our conference record trails several other NFC teams.

Watching GB and Carolina yesterday caused me to think of 'what if' when looking at both those teams as the Hawks D looks better than both of them. Even if the Packers loss which as said above was more real than any of the other three losses had happened the team would be 7-1 and would hold a record giving the team a playoff bye. With conference games against AZ (x 2), StL, Minnie and SF to go the team can now ill afford any other conference loss if they want to win the division and make the playoffs with a bye or have a high seed conference position.

What gripes the most about these three losses was the team had a shot to win in each of the games and essentially gave the games away by failing to complete those games, something that is an uncharacteristic failing for the Hawks. The schedule makers really didn't give the team a kind schedule to allow them to repeat as conference champion. NE on the other hand looks to be easily cruising to another postseason bye and home field advantage. The team's character and resolve will be tested over the last half of the season.

The season is genuinely on the line against AZ next Sunday a 4th conference loss and key divisional loss will ensure the team does not gain a bye and could be impossible to overcome at the no of the yearns they will need to win on the road. They will have only themselves to blame for the loss of any home game throughout the playoffs. If the team now goes on a 8-0 run they still will be hurt by those close losses.

chris98251

Reaction score
Every game is a playoff game the rest of the season really.

rcaido

Reaction score
jammerhawk":11wqf35i said:
Losing to the Rams, Panthers, and Packers will be hard to overcome at the end of the season when playoff positions are determined. Each of these conference games were possible to win although the Packers game was a more positive loss than a letdown which both the others were. The loss to Cincie was another late letdown where the team didn't finish and let the game slip away.

Each of these games were winnable which is even more frustrating because the three conference games were just not games the team finished off, or made a defensive mistake leading to the loss. Those games will figure to be quite hard to overcome when the playoff calculation are made as each of the Panthers and the Packers now hold deciding games over the Hawks and our conference record trails several other NFC teams.

Watching GB and Carolina yesterday caused me to think of 'what if' when looking at both those teams as the Hawks D looks better than both of them. Even if the Packers loss which as said above was more real than any of the other three losses had happened the team would be 7-1 and would hold a record giving the team a playoff bye. With conference games against AZ (x 2), StL, Minnie and SF to go the team can now ill afford any other conference loss if they want to win the division and make the playoffs with a bye or have a high seed conference position.

What gripes the most about these three losses was the team had a shot to win in each of the games and essentially gave the games away by failing to complete those games, something that is an uncharacteristic failing for the Hawks. The schedule makers really didn't give the team a kind schedule to allow them to repeat as conference champion. NE on the other hand looks to be easily cruising to another postseason bye and home field advantage. The team's character and resolve will be tested over the last half of the season.

The season is genuinely on the line against AZ next Sunday a 4th conference loss and key divisional loss will ensure the team does not gain a bye and could be impossible to overcome at the no of the yearns they will need to win on the road. They will have only themselves to blame for the loss of any home game throughout the playoffs. If the team now goes on a 8-0 run they still will be hurt by those close losses.

Its only half the season. If we go 8-0 & the other teams somehow get a better position then they deserve to be there. You expect too much or just spoiled. The O-line is improving, the d looks great & the offense had some bright spot recently. Still lots of football to be played.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I fully expect the team to play well over the final 8 games but the hole dug by these 3 conference losses will be hard to climb out from. Just making an observation that should be clear.

Sure I'm spoiled, this is a winning team and the late game collapses are uncharacteristic of this era. They were all really winnable games.

Think the team misjudged how quickly the OLine would gel to be become basically barely adequate

themunn

Reaction score
The main positive I can take from those 3 losses at the very least is that to make the superbowl this year we might need to beat all 3 teams.

Whilst I know our guys don't need "revenge" as motivation to go out and win, it sure does help.

Wouldn't it be a fine season if we lost those 4 games only, then beat the Rams, Packers and Panthers in the playoffs en route to beating the Bengals in the superbowl?

Reaneypark

Reaction score
If you've already resigned yourself to the idea that the Hawks will have to win on the road in the playoffs, this isn't such a big deal. Plenty of teams have gone to the Super Bowl by winning road games. It's not impossible.

Boycie

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2ncxwdvl said:

I think this year is gonna be one of those years where we gotta scratch tooth and nail to get the dance, but that is ok, because we all know that this team is very capable of playing championship football, and I like our chances no matter where we end up seeded.

AgentDib

Reaction score
This season I have been less invested in our rival's outcomes than I usually am. I see a lot of potential and think the Hawks really can beat anybody anywhere as long as they are playing their best football. All of our rivals have clearly displayed flaws and the team records only tell part of the story. All that our current hole means is that we won't be bailed out if don't play up to our capabilities for the second half of the season and that doesn't really bother me.

12thbrah

Reaction score
The Hawks just have to repeat what they did last year down the stretch. Its a definite possibility with the remaining schedule.

This sunday against the Cards will be the turning point of this season. So much riding on this one game.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I don't know why people are still dwelling on the past. We have a huge game this week that could put us back in the driver's seat in the NFC West. The goal every regular season under Coach Carroll has been to win the division. We still have an opportunity to accomplish that goal. We started 6-4 last year, with a much easier opening schedule, and went to the Super Bowl.

Just beat the hell out of Arizona! Go Hawks!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
For me, I would swap out the Packers for the Bengals. That loss hurts more because the Hawks basically had it in the bag. The Packers played better than the Hawks when we played. I know playoff seeding isn't affected as much by the Bengals game, but we'd still be 7-1 and a game ahead of the Packers if we had only lost to them.

Rams, Panthers, and Bengals games are what is going to really bite us come playoff time. Those were all games that were stolen from the Win column.

Hawks46

Reaction score
While I agree that those losses are huge, it's natural to look at it this way. I'd also like to mention that the Rams loss could end up being pretty big as well. While they are tied with us record wise, they own the H2H with us right now.

When you're looking at a team in regards to getting HFA in the playoffs, or just playoff seeding in general, vs. just trying to make the playoffs.....well every win could be huge. Look at 2012. We lost that Miami game with a crap call on Thomas brushing Tannehill's helmet. We also let them back into that game that we had won. WIthout that, we might get a playoff game at home, or not have to go to Atlanta.

So yea, it's only natural to look at any conference loss (especially to conference rivals) with regret and trepidation. Only 1 team can have HFA, only 2 teams get a bye. That's a lot of competition. It's a small margin of error.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think we're way past worrying about a Top 2 seed now, just win the division and hope for the best as far as seeding goes.. in all reality it will be very hard to catch Green Bay as the 2 seed.. and next to impossible to catch Carolina at this point unless they completely free fall (would probably take a major injury which you should neither hope for or count on happening)

On the bright side, this is absolutely a team that can go on the road in January and win. This isn't the Holmgren Seahawks where the moment they left Seattle they were basically screwed.

Just win the division, worry about the rest later.

captSE

Reaction score
I'm still pissed that we lost to Atlanta 2012 that we destined to win if it weren't for that time out to "ice the kicker". MMMMMMMMMMaaaaaaannnnnn, we had that game.

:3-1:

joeshaney

Reaction score
No loss is acceptable or good.

For me. The Rams loss was brutal. The others no longer bother me.
We had a division win against a team that knows how to beat us. But blew it. Never is it acceptable to blow it, but we've seen the Rams be one of the few teams who could out gut us. They did it again. We could be 5-3 with a chance to take the division lead......but, no.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For me that Panthers loss was the worst, and a defensive clusterflock. Every time I think of that TE seam pass I cringe b/c it has worked so often against our D that I'm surprised that the team hasn't yet learned to recognize it and defend it.

The losses against GB and Carolina all but ensure the team won't now be getting a playoff bye, if they qualify for the postseason.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's always better to control your own destiny.

That said, GB isn't looking all that great this year. It's steadily been declining for them, and Minnesota is actually looking decent. Minnesota could beat them. That makes the Minn game a must win for us: if they beat GB and win the division, we won't have to worry about GB. If we beat Minn, and they still win the division, it could eliminate the Packers from the playoffs.

The three biggest games coming up for us are AZ, SF (divisional) and Minn.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
My belief is that every conference game is now a 'must win' game.

Just our luck that Minnie is looking strong just as the Hawks play them this year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2sdqri5p said:
Losing to the Rams, Panthers, and Packers will be hard to overcome at the end of the season when playoff positions are determined.

You know what actually encourages me most about that?

The other loss. The Bengals one. It was on the road, against a very good team, and we still hung in there. Steamrolled them, in fact, right up until the end.

Road games are tough, but we should quit thinking they're impossible. I'm all for winning the division, and I hope the Packers' tailspin continues. But if it doesn't, we can still win.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Rams loss will only hurt if we drop another conference game.

Win the NFC West and the Packers and or Panthers loss will only matter in the NFC Championship.