The worst throw in Russell Wilson's career

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
I have a massive man-crush on Wilson and hope he is our quarterback for another 10 years, but to me the most critical play of our remarkable victory was the two-point conversion. While Wilson (and Willson) will be hailed as playmakers for that successful conversion, I would like to point out that it was (in my opinion) the worst throw of RW's career.

At that point we were up by just one point. If the pass had been intercepted (very likely) then Dix would have had 99 yards of green grass in front of him, and the Packers would have scored a safety and probably won the game 21-20 and we would all be singing a very different tune.

I'm not pointing this out to be a "Debbie Downer", just to help me realize why, nearly 48 hours later, this victory is still so hard for me to process! I still can't believe what we all witnessed. Go Hawks!

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Didn't know the rule!

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":1ddrrgdq said:
I have a massive man-crush on Wilson and hope he is our quarterback for another 10 years, but to me the most critical play of our remarkable victory was the two-point conversion. While Wilson (and Willson) will be hailed as playmakers for that successful conversion, I would like to point out that it was (in my opinion) the worst throw of RW's career.

At that point we were up by just one point. If the pass had been intercepted (very likely) then Dix would have had 99 yards of green grass in front of him, and the Packers would have scored a safety and probably won the game 21-20 and we would all be singing a very different tune.

I'm not pointing this out to be a "Debbie Downer", just to help me realize why, nearly 48 hours later, this victory is still so hard for me to process! I still can't believe what we all witnessed. Go Hawks!

When do the Seahawks play in the NCAA ;) Play is dead upon INT

kidhawk

Reaction score
Here's the rule

After a touchdown, the scoring team is allowed a try during one scrimmage down. The ball may be spotted anywhere between the inbounds lines, two or more yards from the goal line. The successful conversion counts one point by kick; two points for a successful conversion by touchdown; or one point for a safety.
The defensive team never can score on a try. As soon as defense gets possession or the kick is blocked or a touchdown is not scored, the try is over.
Any distance penalty for fouls committed by the defense that prevent the try from being attempted can be enforced on the succeeding try or succeeding kickoff. Any foul committed on a successful try will result in a distance penalty being assessed on the ensuing kickoff.
Only the fumbling player can recover and advance a fumble during a try.

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/try[/urltargetblank]

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":32gs5rhn said:

FAIL.

That was incredible and taking that shot on a coversion was absolutely amazing. A throw like that under any other circumstances then fine. But thats why Russell is so amazeballs.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
He knew he had nothing to lose by throwing it up and giving his guy a chance to go get it. Fantastic throw IMO.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Northhawk":3ig26ujg said:
kidhawk":3ig26ujg said:
The defense cannot score on a point after or 2-point conversion attempt

So that makes it the best throw of Wilson's career... or one of them at least.

THIS!!!!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It was actually an incredibly smart play and one that QBs should do more often in the 2-point conversion scenario. The play is dead on an INT. Because of this, the ball should always be thrown into the endzone, even if it's a virtual Hail Mary. No reason whatsoever to throw it away.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
His worst throw ever was the throw to Kearse (or the defense) in the corner of the endzone.

Too many thoughts of LOB balls to Baldwin.

kidhawk

Reaction score
BlueBlood":bxyvf9yd said:
Worst thread ever nomination?

Nope....Not even close. I'm sure there are people reading this thread who had no idea the rule was different in the NFL. It's not something that is seen all the time, so it's an easy rule to overlook

OP
OP
Austin Hawk

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
I stand corrected! Thanks for letting me know. I watched the game with several friends, including a couple of high school football coaches, and they all agreed with me about how devastating a safety would have been if it was returned.

I'll be quiet now :)

themunn

Reaction score
even if Clinton Dix COULD return it, Willson is a 4.40s 40 guy, Clinton dix a 4.50s

He would have caught him

chevelle03

Reaction score
Definitely a heads up play by Wilson, but a dumb rule in my opinion. I don't see why the defense shouldn't have the opportunity for 2 points.

chevelle03

Reaction score
This is kind of a dumb question, but if on a two point conversion attempt the offense ran the ball all the way back to their own endzone would that be a safety?

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
His worst throw ever was in Carolina this year to one of our TE's that I can't place. I think it was Helfet.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
chevelle03":1wnj0fnr said:
This is kind of a dumb question, but if on a two point conversion attempt the offense ran the ball all the way back to their own endzone would that be a safety?

no, it would just be a failed attempt

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
BlueBlood":20rynwdn said:
chevelle03":20rynwdn said:

no, it would just be a failed attempt

Correct answer.

But I believe that the thrust of his question is... how would an intercepted pass in the endzone (not on a TD conversion attempt) result in a safety, especially if is run back the full length of the field?

The answer is... if it's run back the full length of the field it's a TD.

And if the intercepting player takes a knee in his own end zone it's a touchback... possession to intercepting team on their own 20-yard line.