Think teams will still stack the box against us?

swagcity21

Reaction score
Not anymore. imagine JG on one side and CM on the other with Baldwin or lockette running the slot.

They will have to run nickel, and once Lynch gets past the line its over with. I'm not sure how JG is as a down field blocker, but after what I heard today I think he will have no problem buying into the program.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1xeqjrb6 said:
He's not a deep threat.

He doesn't have to be a deep threat.

He just has to be in the flat when Russ scrambles and dumps off to him.

A

Anonymous

I think it's going to more about who on the defense guards him.

If Jimmy draws doubles, that's good. If, say, a "Revis" guards him, that's good too. If a team with great safeties guard him, also good.

We have to get more creative with teams with speedy linebackers that can cover and D-backfields with more than one stud on the roster. Other than that, our current WR's just got separation.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I don't think the goal is necessarily to make defenses unable to overload certain areas of the field (I'm sure we would love to do that if possible though). I think the goal is to have teams choose to do that and be unable to stop us on a consistent basis anyway.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":n3aaitb0 said:
He's not a deep threat.

Exactly. Teams are going to still run cover 0 until Matthews and others show they can consistently beat the defense deep. I don't see Graham doing that, he's going to be a short to intermediate option... you know... a TE.

chris98251

Reaction score
Until Bevell can call plays and Wilson can make throws quick out of the snap teams will stack, you have to make them pay for what they are doing before they will stop, I expect the first few games to be the same as last year till we show we can do something, otherwise he's an expensive decoy.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
How many teams have the defense to match up with Chris Matthews (tall) and JG(very tall) if lined up as receiver?
In the SB, Pats were able to counter Chris Matthews with tall Brandon Browner.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
One benefit of adding JG is forcing the defense to guess where the ball might go. The defense will not be able to say if we contain RW and ML were good. It will make us less predictable.

TasteTheBeastmode

Reaction score
Largent80":1mixzw12 said:
cacksman":1mixzw12 said:
EastCoastHawksFan":1mixzw12 said:
SalishHawkFan":1mixzw12 said:
He's not a deep threat.

How do you figure?

Why do people think that a deep threat has to be a WR that runs 4.4?? Unbelievable.

Because it is true.

Ummm.... Check out the last game against the Tards where Luke Willson went nuts. 139 yards and 2 TDs. A Tight End with speed can absolutely be a deep threat if matched one on one with a LB or a less than speedy safety playing to close. It's no accident that Beastquake 2.0 came AFTER Luke Willson made Larry Foote his bitch and the Tards were forced to abandon cover zero.

If Graham can burn a few teams for stacking the box and playing cover zero, Marshawn might be in for a career year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Teams won't stop stacking the box against us until Russell Wilson grows by three or four inches.

formido

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2bwx7tty said:
Teams won't stop stacking the box against us until Russell Wilson grows by three or four inches.

Guess Wilson will just have to keep making them pay to the tune of last year's 5th ranked offensive DVOA, then, of which a majority is due to Wilson's passing and running.

Although, assuming Graham plays the entire season, it's a pretty clean bet Seattle's offensive DVOA is 1st or 2nd this year--and Wilson has a very good shot at leading the NFL in passer rating.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
there are very few true "deep threats" in the NFL, the term is overrated, and has little to do with exploiting an 8 man front.

it's definitely going to be a match up problem, especially in 12 personnel. Two TE's on the field, one of whom is one of the best receivers in the game, with defenses having to choose to come up on the run or stop the pass.

it's not exactly new but it will be a new look for the Seahawks, whom last year didn't have any huge threats at TE in there 12 personnel package.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Honestly, Graham didn't make much sense to me for Seattle. I know Unger has injury issues, but taking a solid starter with all pro potential from your biggest weakness, plus your first round pick, just didn't make much sense to me.

He will be a weapon off of PA, and he's obviously never had a RB like Lynch, but Graham just doesn't seem to fit in the NFC West when he's played against our division - last time the Saints came to St. Louis they got beat down pretty good....Graham didn't do too much that I can recall.

If they decide to just make him a WR, this move would make a little more sense to me...but getting a guy that doesn't block and putting him at TE in that offense, regardless of the oline, makes that offense worse IMO.

I would say it'd take a good O Coordinator to make it work, but I know what you guys think of Bevel...

Latest posts