This "Immaculate Deflection" crap is annoying me

v1rotv2

Reaction score
bigtrain21":33y8fsib said:
I hate it when these analysts incorrectly state that if it was thrown differently it could have been caught.

A few weeks ago they were talking about Kaepernick's extension and Tim Hasselbeck showed that play and said "If he throws that ball to the back of the end zone, it's a touchdown". Nope.

It's like Sherman could only defend that type of pass. My opinion is that Sherman would have just adjusted to the ball.

Hawks46

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":nsux1wz3 said:
There was room for the pass to be higher and for Crabtree to catch it in-bounds. The problem with the 49ers defense theory on this is that they are assuming Sherman was "out of position" simply because his hips weren't angled correctly to go up for an easy interception, so he tipped it back in-bounds.

The subsequent problem that 99% of 49ers fans are ignoring is the fact that, very clearly on tape, Richard Sherman is side-by-side with Crabtree as they cross the goal line. Sherman was already gauging it. If the pass was higher/deeper, he'd have taken another step before leaping, and you get the same result no matter what.

Not in a million years with Sherman being so close to Crabtree in the end zone was Crabtree ever going to catch that pass. Kaepernick should never have thrown it, end of story. Sorry 49ers fans, but it's irrefutable.

Exactly. People keep acting like Sherman couldn't have made additional adjustments with the ball thrown a bit differently.

It's like Niners and fans both are going "well, if Kaep threw it farther, and Sherman jumped exactly the same, and well, time got frozen, and Crabtree could've pushed off a bit more....well damnit we would've won".

I agree also with Hawkwow. On that last play I was begging him to throw it at Sherman. You could see he was all over Crabtree from the start, and Crabs was running a fade to the corner. Kaepernick CAN throw that ball, but he'll miss it more often than not. When Kaep threw it, I was yelling "yes ! throw it at Sherm...here's a pick!" I thought Sherm was picking that ball.

I was calling "game over" when that pass was halfway home.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":265p8hoe said:
Clare Farnsworth has used that term in his last two articles. This really bugs the crap out of me and here's why:

The Immaculate Reception was so called because of its miraculous nature. Sheer luck allowed Franco Harris to be in the right place at the right time. It was like a gift from God.

Nothing was "immaculate" about what Richard Sherman did. He'd done the exact same thing earlier in the season. The Legion of Boom has been making those kinds of interceptions for a long time now. They call it a Tip Drill.

Of all the nicknames for that play, I really hate Immaculate Deflection. It's wrong.

I think someone should call in to KJR and have a discussion and a vote for the official name for that play. Just to end this once and for all.

Okay, rant over.
I don't think you actually know what "immaculate" means, based on this post. Actually, I know you don't. It means "free from flaws or mistakes; perfect.". It doesn't mean anything about luck or divine interference. It means perfectly done. I can't think of a better word to describe that play than perfect.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1e2bv81x said:
bigtrain21":1e2bv81x said:
I hate it when these analysts incorrectly state that if it was thrown differently it could have been caught.

A few weeks ago they were talking about Kaepernick's extension and Tim Hasselbeck showed that play and said "If he throws that ball to the back of the end zone, it's a touchdown". Nope.
I watched that 'TIP' several times, and Crabby came down just out of the back end, so it WOULD NOT have been a TD. :141847_bnono:
Tim Hasseldumb was just repeating what Simi-Colon Kaepersuck said, and that just proves how stupid a statement it was.
My guess is that neither bothered to review where crabs feet were when he came down.
And as was mentioned already in this thread, that was the second time last Season that Sherman made that exact same play, with the exact same results....And that ain't luck, that's the best Corner in the League making a fantastic play.

The word immaculate ain't got nothing to do with luck either.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
bigtrain21":3dfnya2o said:

I agree, this whole notion of If it was only 1 more inch it's a TD. That's baloney Sherman was tracking the ball if it was a few inches either way there's a high probability that he still gets his hands on it. IF it's thrown another 2 feet deeper it may or may not have been a TD. But to say it was a game of just an inch is silly.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1ezafpxh said:
bigtrain21":1ezafpxh said:

I agree, this whole notion of If it was only 1 more inch it's a TD. That's baloney Sherman was tracking the ball if it was a few inches either way there's a high probability that he still gets his hands on it. IF it's thrown another 2 feet deeper it may or may not have been a TD. But to say it was a game of just an inch is silly.
Even if it was a perfectly thrown ball to the back corner and Crabtree was able to fingertip it and drag toes... the only reason he'd have a 1/100,00,000 chance of catching it was because of a major pushoff just after they crossed the goalline. That's why Sherman "appeared to be out of position" to some analysts and anti-Shermites. Sherm was step in step with Crabtree until then. With all the talk of bad calls going against the Niners, none of them seem to admit that the ref wasn't reaching for a flag (just like Kaep's kick). These little things poke holes in their theory of consipiracy considering both of those plays were game changing important at the time.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Last chance for the Steelers. Bradshaw trying to get away. And his pass is...broken up by Tatum. Picked off! Franco Harris has it! And he's over! Franco Harris grabbed the ball, a deflection! Five seconds to go! He grabbed it with five seconds to go and scored!
—Curt Gowdy, calling the play on NBC television

You talk about Christmas miracles. Here's the miracle of all miracles. Watch this one now. Bradshaw is lucky to even get rid of the ball! He shoots it out. Jack Tatum deflects it right into the hands of Harris. And he sets off. And the big 230-pound rookie slipped away from Warren and scored.
—Gowdy, describing an instant replay of the play on NBC
Miracle. Lucky. Deflection.

Can we quit trying to tie OUR greatest play to the fluke that happened 40 years ago?

Reaction score
Blaze808":2l972f66 said:
How bout "Hawk Blocked?"
I was an owner of a "Hawk Block". I think it was in the early '90's. It was a brick of foam rubber that could be thrown at the TV without worrying about damaging anything.
Don't know what happened to it. And, I think that's OK.

Go Hawks,
BillA

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Bill Assumpcao":x3cq0ce9 said:
Blaze808":x3cq0ce9 said:
How bout "Hawk Blocked?"
I was an owner of a "Hawk Block". I think it was in the early '90's. It was a brick of foam rubber that could be thrown at the TV without worrying about damaging anything.

Go Hawks,
BillA

Was it like the Cosell brick??? Brick him..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Bill Assumpcao":2f2c2icj said:
Blaze808":2f2c2icj said:
How bout "Hawk Blocked?"

Go Hawks,
BillA
I had one too Bill. Genius marketing. Sadly, I used it quite a few times.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
The Hawk Rejection.
A Niners dejection.
Sherm's spectacular deflection.
Smiths timely interception.

If the Niners were a girlfriend this would be the Immaculate Contraception.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Jeebus, are there no Catholics on this board? Leave it to an ex-Catholic heathen to set you people straight!

Immaculate Conception (not INCEPTION--that made me LAUGH!): where Jesus was conceived AS AN ACT OF GOD with no spermatoza from Joseph involved. The world "immaculate" may mean that it's pure (because Mary was still a virgin) but the connotation for the phrase "Immaculate Conception" is that It was a miracle!

Immaculate Reception: A catch so improbable that it seemed to be AN ACT OF GOD that it bounced off of a Raider and right into the hands of Franco Harris. It was a "miracle"!

The OP is 100% right. Using the term "Immaculate Deflection" defines the play as pure fortune or luck, NOT skill. It completely undermines Sherman's skill and talent and chalks our victory up to "good fortune". It was NOT a miracle!

Sac

Reaction score
nuty6eju.jpg

Basis4day

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":1ht1mytb said:
Jeebus, are there no Catholics on this board? Leave it to an ex-Catholic heathen to set you people straight!

Immaculate Conception (not INCEPTION--that made me LAUGH!): where Jesus was conceived AS AN ACT OF GOD with no spermatoza from Joseph involved. The world "immaculate" may mean that it's pure (because Mary was still a virgin) but the connotation for the phrase "Immaculate Conception" is that It was a miracle!

Immaculate Reception: A catch so improbable that it seemed to be AN ACT OF GOD that it bounced off of a Raider and right into the hands of Franco Harris. It was a "miracle"!

The OP is 100% right. Using the term "Immaculate Deflection" defines the play as pure fortune or luck, NOT skill. It completely undermines Sherman's skill and talent and chalks our victory up to "good fortune". It was NOT a miracle!

FYI, the Immaculate Conception refers to Mary's conception. Not the conception of Jesus. Common misunderstanding.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Basis4day":2gvazhuv said:
Trenchbroom":2gvazhuv said:

FYI, the Immaculate Conception refers to Mary's conception. Not the conception of Jesus. Common misunderstanding.

Well my mother was right. I should have finished Catechism!

:th2thumbs:

A

Anonymous

Basis4day":3hap3vbl said:
Trenchbroom":3hap3vbl said:

Maybe if you are Jewish it does, but not according to a compilation known as "The Holy Bible".

See: The New Testament.