This is the most pessimistic Take

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Predicting injuries is quite lame. Of course for all 32 teams injuries are the worst case scenario. So yeah, if this guy or that guy isn't healthy our team will suck, as is always the case. Lazy lazy lazy writing. Almost as lazy as using the same word redundantly 3 times in the same sentence.

Mix

Reaction score
Can the season start already. "journalists" are resorting to stupid trash takes to drive traffic. Then again, that is the media these days.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I once had a coworker who once rattled my brain spending her work time not only playing but trying to talk to me about “Blaseball” I have a live let live and to each their own kind of personality and tried to be opened minded about such a topic but over time and kind of being a “locked in, all in” type worker that crap would eventually break my cool calm demeanor. Not only was she being distracted and wasting her time at work, role playing a simulation game of sci-fi or whatever fantasy baseball, she thought it would be a good idea to try to distract me and waste my time by talking to me about it

This article just triggered me something to that affect. I’ve come to two conclusions, 1, obviously it’s not rocket science that anything is possible and can happen but, 2, and most importantly, I’d wager that Fraley plays Blaseball.

bileever

Reaction score
There are a million things that can go wrong in the course of an NFL season. Speculating about them isn't fun or entertaining. At least not for your own team. I prefer to think about all the things that could go wrong with our rivals, but even then, I wouldn't be thinking about or wishing for injuries.

RiverDog

Reaction score

Ruminator

Reaction score
Every time I get in my car to drive somewhere and push the ignition button, the most pessimistic take on what could subsequently occur is it triggers planted explosives, starts a fire in the garage, burns the house down, burns the neighborhood down, burns the community down, burns the city down... sure, let's discuss that unlikely scenario at length, shall we?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
It's part of a pair of articles - the good and the bad possibilities. I'm sure we'll all enjoy the good article when it's posted.

Ruminator

Reaction score
If all goes right: Foundation now about 80% set for the beginnings of a long-lived dynasty? Well, that'd be "most optimistic" -- I'd be fine with even a short-lived one, haha.

bileever

Reaction score
That's not such an outrageous take. Vegas has our over/under wins at 8.5 and that article has us going 8-9, so it's right in line with what a lot of other people have us pegged. That doesn't mean that I agree with it, only that it is a viable scenario.
You're right in that the bottom line isn't outrageous--I can see us finishing with 8 or even 7 wins. But I think what most people found unpleasant was that the predictions weren't based on roster constructon, competition or schematics but on random speculations on things like injuries.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
You're right in that the bottom line isn't outrageous--I can see us finishing with 8 or even 7 wins. But I think what most people found unpleasant was that the predictions weren't based on roster constructon, competition or schematics but on random speculations on things like injuries.

Well, some of it isn’t injury based. I would not be surprised to see Geno being Mid esp under pressure, for Lockett to finally look old, and for Bobby to not be what we remember.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The worst case scenario is so much worse than finishing 8-9 - which is only minorly bad as an outcome.

The NFL has great parity and every year there are plenty of 2-8 teams which knock off 8-2 teams. Having a handful of key moments/plays/calls go against a team can be enough to swing multiple games in the wrong direction. Once you add in the possibility of injuries then the worst case scenario becomes competing with the Cardinals for the #1 overall pick.

The importance of recognizing the role of good and bad fortune now as a fan is to be less outcome dependent as the season unfolds. If we get a good outcome then it doesn't necessarily mean our FO is smarter than everybody else, and if we get a bad outcome it doesn't always mean everybody needs to be fired.