This Loss Proves We Aren't Elite (Yet)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the game you prove to the planet on national TV that we are the real deal. Instead, we proved we are not quite ready to take that top spot. I wish I had an answer for why we looked so flat, especially on primetime where we normally dominate...But I have no answer. The Rams were clearly more hungry than we were but didn't we assume that was going to be the case going in?

This is the game Russell could have cemented his MVP status. Instead, it was just another one of those "ho hum" games from him.

This post isn't hyperbole, I just am disappointed this team didn't showcase what they are capable of tonight.

I never thought in my life 10-3 would ever feel this bad. :les:

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
In other words, look at the 49ers and how they beat the Saints IN New Orleans!

THAT is a team that wants it. THAT is a team that is deserving of the top seed.

Sigh.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Maybe this was the game we NEEDED as a team, not the game we wanted as fans.
As I understand it, win out, and we control our own destiny for the division title.

So Pete and Schotty and Norton can review the film, figure out how to not suck against the schemes the Rams used on us, and we'll be better for the experience.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I can handle them losing on the road to a motivated and desperate Rams team.

What I can't handle is the team playing disinterested and sloppy with a clueless, spineless game plan. That's what really bothered me about this game. They were never in it.

knownone

Reaction score
Did anyone actually think we are elite? We certainly have that potential, but our margin for victory is 1.5 points. We are probably closer to average than we are elite.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
The 9-7 Giants once won the Super Bowl. The Saints won a Super Bowl after dropping a pathetic game to the Buccaneers late in the season.

The Eagles dropped a game in 2017...to us. Around this time. They didn’t look good. The Patriots dropped a game to the Dolphins late last year. And won the Super Bowl. The red hot Chiefs came to Seattle with the top seed on the line, and lost. But luckily still won the top seed. Plenty of examples of past teams who supposedly didn’t “want it.”

Point is, most of us have been watching football a long time. These overreactions and social media type hot takes need to calm down a bit. The Seahawks are a great team that came out flat today. That’s okay. If Russell played hot the entire season and lost in the playoffs or Super Bowl, I’d be livid. For now, I’ll just hope Russ balls out for the playoffs, with the whole world watching. The only MVP that trumps the regular season is the Super Bowl MVP. Something I’m sure Peyton wished he had more of than Brady

kf3339

Reaction score
knownone":3ljdg2kv said:
Did anyone actually think we are elite? We certainly have that potential, but our margin for victory is 1.5 points. We are probably closer to average than we are elite.

^Pretty much this.

I never really had us as an elite team, but also not closer to average. I would say good to very good at times. To be elite you have to be able to go for the kill and blow teams out on at least a semi regular basis within a season We haven't done that in several years. What I would say is that we have the heart of an elite team, or we wouldn't have won so many extremely close games this season. Just not the game planning and execution to get us there right now.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay semantics aside, I basically assume when you are 10-2 in early December that gives you the elite title by default, no?

In other words, how many other teams coming into this game today out of 32 were 10-2?

4?

Elite.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
I don't know if I would over react to it. The Rams were pretty good last year and made the Super Bowl. They had some down games this year. But there is still a lot of talent on that team. They can beat good NFL teams. 1 loss is OK. 10 - 3 seems fine. I don't think your team is bad.

knownone

Reaction score
Aros":p7tww6k0 said:
Okay semantics aside, I basically assume when you are 10-2 in early December that gives you the elite title by default, no?

In other words, how many other teams coming into this game today out of 32 were 10-2?

4?

Elite.
This is only be true if you ignore everything and only look at wins. If you look at every other metric, we don’t really compare to other elite teams. That doesn’t mean we are bad, it just means we are fortunate to be 10-3 and we certainly haven’t been elite.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
knownone":2cmioacl said:
Aros":2cmioacl said:

4?

Elite.
This is only be true if you ignore everything and only look at wins. If you look at every other metric, we don’t really compare to other elite teams. That doesn’t mean we are bad, it just means we are fortunate to be 10-3 and we certainly haven’t been elite.

I think you guys have a very strong team. You have a lot of good parts. You can make a run in the playoffs. I have no doubt. Any time you have Russell Wilson, Pete Carroll and a pass rusher playing like Clowney I would not under estimate you. On any given Sunday that can be very dangerous for opposing teams.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
It's one game coming off a really tough stretch of games on a short week against a division rival that's in a must win situation. I saw this coming I just wish we hadn't lost Penny he was playing great football his first touch tonight was what a 12 yard gain and a first down . That's a huge loss for us right now .

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
After that game, I'm just not sure there's a point to having a football team in Seattle anymore.

Largent80

Reaction score
This game showed where the Hawks are deficient and everyone already knows it. The TRENCHES. Rams had 2 rookies starting on the right side of the o line and Seattle could do nothing with that. It put the LB's and secondary in bad situations.

Our o line gave up 5 sacks and an enormous amount of pressures, so to be clear, this is the areas that needs to be addressed next year. Seems like it is always that way. Losing Penny (probably for the year) was a huge blow even though Carson ran well. Why they don't let Homer play is beyond me....They activated Prosise who hasn't played in 2 months....Bah, this game was a shit sandwich.

hawker84

Reaction score
olyfan63":371w266d said:
As I understand it, win out, and we control our own destiny for the division title.

So Pete and Schotty and Norton can review the film, figure out how to not suck against the schemes the Rams used on us, and we'll be better for the experience.

Ya because they do that all the time right? How many times has pete played the Rams now, and still can't figure out, run the ball and do quick passes and screens to slow down the rush?

PaVloVa!8

Reaction score
hawker84":31bc951c said:
olyfan63":31bc951c said:

Ya because they do that all the time right? How many times has pete played the Rams now, and still can't figure out, run the ball and do quick passes and screens to slow down the rush?

The most frustrating thing i think is getting beat by a team who was in the same formation for 85-90% of the games , ran like what 4 plays out of it .. Also seeing them rush things out on offence when you got 9 min left in the 4th and you loosing by 3 poss specially when think after the game that they let run the clock to get to halftime, end the 3rd quarter, and at the end when of the 4th,they run the clock to call time out ... IMO a major part of that loss is bad coaching .. and they didn't try to adjust either ...

aawolf

Reaction score
IMO, we weren't ready to play last night. Even in the pre-game interview, Pete seemed a little passive versus his usual overly-excited self. His team certainly kept that ho-hum attitude throughout the game. The offense couldn't get many first down, the defense couldn't stop any first downs. It was as if the Seahawks couldn't get anything going and the Rams got whatever they wanted.

There were a few good plays on defense, and forcing two turnovers and the defensive TD was inspiring, but whenever a good play happened, the offense couldn't take advantage. Russ was off, but it should also be noted that there was pressure in his face all night long. His usual magic wasn't on display. He needs to re-establish the connection he had with Locket before his injury. Once RW escaped pressure several times, he seemingly had no one to throw to. Its clear that this offense needs to be better on scramble drills.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Jerhawk":36s7bq2b said:
I can handle them losing on the road to a motivated and desperate Rams team.

What I can't handle is the team playing disinterested and sloppy with a clueless, spineless game plan. That's what really bothered me about this game. They were never in it.

I agree- plus it gives us another team to worry about in the playoffs.

Jethawk- I never told you- your avatar of Leslie Nielsen may be the greatest avatar in history. Also, your signature, what game was he talking about where he said we had 5% chance?

seahawksny

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1t7v4n6g said:
It's one game coming off a really tough stretch of games on a short week against a division rival that's in a must win situation. I saw this coming I just wish we hadn't lost Penny he was playing great football his first touch tonight was what a 12 yard gain and a first down . That's a huge loss for us right now .

HUGE loss. Just after he was picking up steam this year

Mad Dog

Reaction score
knownone":3d2fgd4i said:

Well clearly everyone that wanted the Saints to lose yesterday thought we were elite and that poll suggested 75% on this forum thought so.

If you recognized this team for what it really was, plucky overachievers, I think you were well aware that this kind of game was totally possible and even likely at some point and that finishing the season 4-0 was a bad bet.

Anyway, I'm sure Sunday snapped a lot of people's heads back out fo the clouds and back onto terra firma.

Back to cheering for those plucky overachievers to get back to work figuring out how to stop the Panthers and get the offense back on track.

Latest posts