Thoughts & Expectations from the following players...

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Tical21":2ovwlglu said:
Michael has to have some kind of attitude problem or work ethic issue or something of the like. You don't need to learn how to block to get a handoff every now and again. The only thing I've heard from Pete is that he "isn't quite there yet", which to me means character wise. He's got to get into the rotation next year.

Hill needs to make McDonald replaceable. Get there. He's shown flashes. If McDonald will take a 1 year deal for 3 million, great, but I doubt it'll happen. Hill needs to take that role for pennies on the dollar.

I'm in wait-and-see on Jesse Williams. Dude just got man-handled when he was in there. I am not relying on that guy right now.

Who knows about Simon? I've never seen the guy play in my life that I can recall. Gonna be tough getting on the field though.
You need to learn how to block or else when you come in, the defense knows it will be a rushing play. If he can't block and you pass, you're screwing yourself, so you don't dare send him in except on rushing plays. How well do you think our runs will work when his mere presence telegraphs the play?

Until he improves on his blocking skills, he can't play. Simple as that.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2u4lbui5 said:
And Simon needs to heal from his surgery on the OTHER foot (same ailment). I have high hopes for Hill but am not confident about Monstar. Hope he bulked up.
You mean you hope Monstar has bulked up his legs and grown healthy knees, right? I like the guy, but expect nothing from him.

Tical21

Reaction score
There are a BUNCH of successful NFL RB's that can't block. That Alexander kid worked out okay. There is no possible way that a 2nd round pick, who went on to become the NFL's rushing leader in the preseason, gets deactivated for basically an entire season because of subpar pass blocking. C'mon.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Tical21":9md0ebpf said:
There are a BUNCH of successful NFL RB's that can't block. That Alexander kid worked out okay. There is no possible way that a 2nd round pick, who went on to become the NFL's rushing leader in the preseason, gets deactivated for basically an entire season because of subpar pass blocking. C'mon.

On a team with Marshawn Lynch? Absolutely you can sit if you have trouble with pass protection.And Pete has said that is is very impressed with Turbin's blocking ability. You need that in your 3rd down back.

Here is a presser where Carroll tackles the Michael questions specifically. 5:55 Mark. He has said similar things when asked about it. But again, the press corp was more concerned all season with hings like Percy Harvin's status. They didn't ask about Michael every chance they could. But when they did, Pete was specific and consistant with his answers. You only get 46 active players. Someone has to sit.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... 86bde513f1

kidhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":3bbm6qgs said:

You don't have to believe it, but you have yet to show an iota of evidence to contradict it except for your own disbelief. Personally I'll take Pete's word and his history of doing similar (Turbin didn't play much his first year specifically do to blocking which he is now good at). Feel free to theorize all you want, but until there is evidence otherwsie, the smart money is on what Pete said and that is that the kid just isn't ready above and beyond those in front of him. That doesn't mean he won't get ready. And I fully expect to see some impact plays from him next season. This past season is done. He has an entire off season to prove he's ready to COMPETE and EARN his spot on the playing field. I believe he will but that won't change this past season, nothing will

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":2hm0m5vu said:
Tical21":2hm0m5vu said:

You don't have to believe it, but you have yet to show an iota of evidence to contradict it except for your own disbelief. Personally I'll take Pete's word and his history of doing similar (Turbin didn't play much his first year specifically do to blocking which he is now good at). Feel free to theorize all you want, but until there is evidence otherwsie, the smart money is on what Pete said and that is that the kid just isn't ready above and beyond those in front of him. That doesn't mean he won't get ready. And I fully expect to see some impact plays from him next season. This past season is done. He has an entire off season to prove he's ready to COMPETE and EARN his spot on the playing field. I believe he will but that won't change this past season, nothing will

Michael is in a bit of a catch-22 in this regard. Pete wants Michael to show improvement in live contact (games), but Michael isn't active on game days because he hasn't shown enough improvement in pass protection. It's one of the effects of the lack of contact allowed during practices under the new CBA.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I think there is something more to the story than his blocking skills as well. I'll refrain from speculating on what. He has immense talent but he wasn't even active all year except maybe one game? There are ways to get dynamic play makers out there even if they have deficiencies. There is more to this than blocking.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2984fqc6 said:
I think there is something more to the story than his blocking skills as well. I'll refrain from speculating on what. He has immense talent but he wasn't even active all year except maybe one game? There are ways to get dynamic play makers out there even if they have deficiencies. There is more to this than blocking.

Not with the limitations of a 46 man roster and a banged up o-line when your QB hurt his shoulder (which wasn't public until after the season ended). Something's gotta give. You can't play everyone. He was active for more than one game. Minn, JAX, Indy and Atlanta, off the top of my head.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":27wiee51 said:
kidhawk":27wiee51 said:
Tical21":27wiee51 said:

Michael is in a bit of a catch-22 in this regard. Pete wants Michael to show improvement in live contact (games), but Michael isn't active on game days because he hasn't shown enough improvement in pass protection. It's one of the effects of the lack of contact allowed during practices under the new CBA.

I agree, and I don't really place any blame. We have two quality backs, one of which is a premier back. Christine will get his time and I imagine he'll get lots of good work in OTA's, mini camp and training camp plus the pre season. Plenty of time there to get him ready to show himself ready to play in his 2nd year.

We were in a good situation when it came to running the ball. Drafting Michael was a move for the future. Lynch takes a real beating and even if he can sustain it through the end of his contract, it's smart to get a better all around runner to spell him with. Turbin is solid and a good third down guy but not the every down back we need. If Michael learns the position and does well, we could see him earn some playing time and for the now, he can spell Lynch, and in the future he could possibly be a long term answer post Lynch. No need to rush the situation at all, but I think we'll see more of him going into next year and hopefully people can put this season behind them. It was a SUPER season and I am not regretting a single bit of it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I agree that there is more to it then just "blocking". I have no idea what it is. They guy is an elite talent. I have zero doubts about that and if he has a good head on his shoulders he will be a stud at some point. He will be in the mix next year for sure.

themunn

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":yidx2n0v said:
You need to learn how to block or else when you come in, the defense knows it will be a rushing play. If he can't block and you pass, you're screwing yourself, so you don't dare send him in except on rushing plays. How well do you think our runs will work when his mere presence telegraphs the play?

Until he improves on his blocking skills, he can't play. Simple as that.

I didn't realise RBs weren't allowed to run receiving routes

The guy is the third string running back. We don't need a third string running back on the field. You don't activate a guy "just in case we get up big". I'm still convinced the reason he hasn't beat out Turbin for the 2nd string job is because of fumbleitis. The last thing you want from your depth guy is a propensity to turn the ball over. And given he had fumble issues in college and is practicing against the toughest defense in football every day, it stands to reason that he probably hasn't solved that problem yet

Exittium

Reaction score
IMO The issues really comes down to a patchwork Oline such as our was for a lot of the season, that the Pass block was a comfort blanket for most the staff and Hawks organization to protect their QB. I'm sure if we had a much more solid Oline then we may have seen Michael take a couple snap's here and there in garbage time.

razgriz737

Reaction score
I'm really pulling for Williams to do well next year. And of course my adopt-a-rookie #humblethug goes without saying.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
According to the Roster, both Turbin and Michael are exactly the same size, so blocking ability ought to be equal. However, since the referees are enforcing the "Turbin Rule"....ie, he is not allowed to run over 20 yards, Pete may be forced to use Christine Michael in the future.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":e8ou4frh said:
According to the Roster, both Turbin and Michael are exactly the same size, so blocking ability ought to be equal. However, since the referees are enforcing the "Turbin Rule"....ie, he is not allowed to run over 20 yards, Pete may be forced to use Christine Michael in the future.

Ref: "Whoa! what happened there, that's Robert Turbin, there's no way he could run for 14 yards without someone holding!"...........*throws flag*

Exittium

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":xa4462bv said:
Bigpumpkin":xa4462bv said:

Ref: "Whoa! what happened there, that's Robert Turbin, there's no way he could run for 14 yards without someone holding!"...........*throws flag*

I really Lol'd. However I will say I'm impressed this year he's taken some hits and kept going when previous, it would seem the wind would blow and he'd be knocked over.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Exittium":b0l1tuzv said:
Sgt. Largent":b0l1tuzv said:
Bigpumpkin":b0l1tuzv said:

I really Lol'd. However I will say I'm impressed this year he's taken some hits and kept going when previous, it would seem the wind would blow and he'd be knocked over.

impressed, break tackle, and turbin are 3 things id never use in the same sentence. dude couldnt break a tackle even if the defenders hands were made of pepperoni pizzas. we better hope and pray cmike pans out otherwise we are in a world of hurt if lynch goes down. i have high hopes for cmike though.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I you read any of Hawkblogger's stuff, he seems to think Jesse Williams has some sort of degenerative knee problem, which doesn't bode well for him if true. OTOH, Pete says is rehab is going well, so who knows. Jordon Hill just needs to keep hitting the weights; he'll do just fine for us.

No way Christine Michael can't block. Pete's just worried for our opponents' health because CM looks like one of those stone dudes at Easter Island...BOSS!

seabowl

Reaction score
Seaswab":267sag7a said:
If Michael can't block then why in the hell did we spend a 2nd round pick on him?

He had no issue being a total clown on stage at the Super Bowl celebration despite the fact he contributed nothing to the team all year. How about doing something, then you can be a total idiot on stage.

I think this post says it all. I'm not buying the "can't block" excuse. There are numerous plays each game where we did not need a RB to pick up blockers and he could have been given a chance. What I have thought all year is that there is more to the reason of not playing Michael. When I say more I mean from a maturity level. I know he was just messing around on stage but that was no time to get attention. We will see what happens with him. See Mike Williams (former Hawk) for another example of what I am getting at.

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
Unlike previous seasons we knew it would be much harder for this rookie class to make an impact because of how stacked the roster was. With Lynch and Turbin on the roster I see this as a redshirt freshman year for Michael. If he's still an inactive 3rd string back at the beginning of next season I'll start to worry.