Throwback Uniforms?

CaptBennett

Reaction score
I heard a rumor that we might be using throwback unis this season. Has anybody heard about them? And would anybody like to see them?

Cartire

Reaction score
76', 83', pre-2002, post 2002. Any idea what era throwback?

hawk79

Reaction score
That would be awesome...the mid 80's to late nineties would be the best!!!

Giblien

Reaction score
I sincerely doubt we see those since reebok owns the design and Nike is in charge of unis now.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
This has been brought up recently, and I remember someone saying that Paul Allen isn't too hot on the idea of throwbacks. Personally I would love to see the old ('76) unis again.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, they beat the Nike billboard that they wear now. I wouldn't dislike them so much if there was at least one damn Seahawks Logo on the entire jersey!

kidhawk

Reaction score
Giblien":18owllhz said:
I sincerely doubt we see those since reebok owns the design and Nike is in charge of unis now.

Reebok doesn't own any designs. What they had was an exclusive license to brand apparel. The design is owned by the individual team and quite possibly the NFL itself, but not Reebok.

As far as actually wearing them this year, I don't recall where I read it, but in an offseason article, I read that the team didn't apply to wear any alternate jersey's this season. These have to be applied for well in advance of the season, so we aren't going to be doing them. Of course there is the sliight possibility that although we didn't apply, we may have a scheduled game against an opponent who did and thus would wear some alternate style, be it throwback or whatever, I just find it unlikely from the report I read.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I doubt this. NFL only allows 3 jersey combinations and with our wolf grey unis, we have three.

OP
OP
CaptBennett

CaptBennett

Reaction score
kidhawk":wj9cc8zp said:
Giblien":wj9cc8zp said:

Reebok doesn't own any designs. What they had was an exclusive license to brand apparel. The design is owned by the individual team and quite possibly the NFL itself, but not Reebok.

As far as actually wearing them this year, I don't recall where I read it, but in an offseason article, I read that the team didn't apply to wear any alternate jersey's this season. These have to be applied for well in advance of the season, so we aren't going to be doing them. Of course there is the sliight possibility that although we didn't apply, we may have a scheduled game against an opponent who did and thus would wear some alternate style, be it throwback or whatever, I just find it unlikely from the report I read.

Thanks for the info.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I don't think they will this year since the new ones still feel pretty new. I seriously hope they do though, I absolutely love the late 90's evolution of the classic color scheme. Easily my all time favorite uniform in sports.

306086 display image

5280Hawk

Reaction score
I don't buy it.

Its easy enough for the NFL to approve it, and its a Money maker for them.

Almost every team has a throw back, and has played in them, except the Seahawks.

They have even approved bad ones, like the old Bucs creamsicle Uni's, and those Hideous mustard and brown stripes the Broncos wore.

Get this done!

rjdriver

Reaction score
Sleevehawk all the way. Would love to see this generation of Seahawks in those old unis for just one game.

kidhawk

Reaction score
5280Hawk":3glkqko4 said:
I don't buy it.

Its easy enough for the NFL to approve it, and its a Money maker for them.

Almost every team has a throw back, and has played in them, except the Seahawks.

They have even approved bad ones, like the old Bucs creamsicle Uni's, and those Hideous mustard and brown stripes the Broncos wore.

Get this done!

The reason we aren't doing it isn't because of the NFL, it's because of Paul Allen...At least according to the article I read this off season. It said something about how he's not really a fan of alternate jersey's and that is why we, as a team, are more reluctant to wear them.

TheLargentLine

Reaction score
Wolf Grey uni's are the best imo so hopefully we just stick with those. I would be surprised to see any other alt right now considering the uniforms are still so new.

Edit: Now that I think about it, our all grey uni's is an alt but not a throwback by any means. Not sure if that matters or not since it sounds like Paul Allen isn't a fan of throwbacks anyways.

Basis4day

Reaction score
TheLargentLine":1qs8qqq0 said:
Wolf Grey uni's are the best imo so hopefully we just stick with those. I would be surprised to see any other alt right now considering the uniforms are still so new.

Edit: Now that I think about it, our all grey uni's is an alt but not a throwback by any means. Not sure if that matters or not since it sounds like Paul Allen isn't a fan of throwbacks anyways.

Here are relevant portions of NFL bylaws regarding Third Uniforms:

Whereas,the marketing benefits to the NFL and its Member Clubs, and developments in the NFL’s consumer products business make it beneficial to revise the notice requirements for uniform changes and permit the Member Clubsto create a third uniform design for use at regular season NFL games subject to certain conditions

Absent specific extenuating circumstances as determined by theCommissioner, if a club desires to make any changes in club colors,
uniform appearance, designs of team helmets, designs of team uniforms,trademarks, or trade names, it must give written notice and details
thereof to the League on or before March 1 of the year prior to the year in which it wishes to change; must comply with the uniform
change notification and approval timeline as established by the League office and amended from time to time, the current timeline being
attached hereto; and further must obtain approval from the League pursuant to the Section 19.9(D)(2) herein by
December 1 of theyear prior to the year in which it wishes to change; otherwise it shall
have no right to make any change for the succeeding season

Resolved,
that beginning with the second half of the 2002 season, the Member Clubs may use a third uniform design subject to the
conditions set forth below:
(1)
The third uniform design may be one of two options: (a) an alternate
color scheme, using the colors that are part of the club’s existing color
palette (as set forth in Article 19.9 and any Appendix to the NFL
Constitution and Bylaws), and using the same design and logo as either
the existing home or away uniform, or (b) a previously approved
“classic” uniform from the Club’s history.

(2)
The helmet to be used with the third uniform design is limited to the
following: If the third uniform design incorporates an alternate color
scheme, a second helmet may not be used and the Club must use an
existing helmet. If the third uniform design is a “classic” uniform, the
helmet may be the existing helmet or a previously approved “classic”
helmet.
(3)
The creation of a third uniform design is subject to the notice and
approval procedures set forth in Section 19.9(D) of the NFL
Constitution and Bylaws, as amended; provided, however, that for the
2002 season only, the deadline for obtaining League approval for a third
uniform design is May 1, 2002.
(4)
A Club may wear an approved third uniform design at one home game
each season in connection with a special event, occasion or anniversary,
provided that the Club gives notice to the League office by July 1 of the
year in which the selected game is scheduled to be played, the selected
game does not conflict with a League event or initiative, and the event
being commemorated is approved by the Commissioner

Resolved,
that a Club may not change its regular home and
away uniforms more than once every five NFL seasons, and may not change its
third uniform design more than once every five NFL seasons, absent specific
extenuating circumstances (e.g., Club ownership change or relocation) as
determined by the Commissioner

In short, we can't use throwbacks because we have the Wolf Grey's as our alternates. We can't change our alternates for approx 4 more seasons.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Giblien":1a6qliu2 said:

Yeah, this is just all kinds of wrong. Not that they do even own the rights to anything, but the Reebok deal with the NFL was only in effect from something like `02 - `12. Sleevehawk wouldn't have been part of that, IIRC the last "new" uniform came as a result of the Reebok deal.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":2otafypg said:
This has been brought up recently, and I remember someone saying that Paul Allen isn't too hot on the idea of throwbacks. Personally I would love to see the old ('76) unis again.

This is 100% true. I have a buddy that works in Admin for the Hawks. We did not apply last season to wear throwback uniforms in the 2013 season. You have to apply to the league one year in advance. Won't be happening this year unless my buddy was given false information (he's always been spot on before though). Cheers.