Times: Offense must change identity, from run to Wilson

Uncle Si

Reaction score
vin.couve12":241qt01p said:
Maybe you're a young uncle, but get back to 50/50 and make them honor the run read and the pass will open up just as it has since the beginning of football time.

This 60/40 mess will never work, under the circumstances.

Not as young as I wish.

Is the Run-Read even being used?

The 60/40 is skewed by the last few drives in the Titans game. Look at the two games and drives up to 14-9 and you see a pretty good mix (maybe not balance).. and still a struggle by the QB.

So while I agree that I wouldn't turn to wilson to throw 40 times a game, I don't think it's as simple as "run more"... unless the RO is part of it

Seymour

Reaction score
This whole "run more campaign" is pretty lame. What the hell do people think they want to do and are trying to do? You cannot keep running when you are continuously faced with 3rd and long because your oline sucks and gets zero push.

To me I don't really care what they do or try to do anymore because I see the writing on the wall.

I'm just hoping we salvage our franchise QB out of all this...if that is even possible at this point.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
If it's ok with you Seymour, some of us would probably want to continue having the conversation anyways.

Jville

Reaction score
Encouraging discussion works for me.

The key run blocker I am keeping my eye on is Jermaine Ifedi. IMO the run game must reestablish the outside zone as a prerequisite to opening up everything else. Last Sunday's change at right guard was presented to fans as a move to improve the chemistry between the right tackle and right guard. Developing a better combo on the right side is a mandate for reestablishing the necessary zone blocking on that side. It is a work in progress that we shouldn't ignore.

I'm not so sure about the presence of an in line blocking tight end that is helping force a resurrection of the outside zone. So tight end progress should be monitored as well. A couple of us on this board are also intrigued by making more frequent use of a 6th lineman. We may see more use of a 6th lineman when an attractive match up presents itself in the near future.

I like September ...... although, it is a month best enjoyed by mature audiences.

Tical21

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2zkt208m said:
Tical21":2zkt208m said:
Come on guys. We've already done the work to figure out that Russell and the offense aren't functional without a successful running game and a commitment to it. The only way we're getting back to where we want to go is by running effectively and letting Russ do his thing getting big plays through play-action. It's quite simple to me, really. If the run game isn't working, keep working at it and improving it until it is. Cause without it, we're toast.
So do you just look at the second half of 2015 and say the image below? Because our running game was NOT just giving Wilson outstanding success in that stretch.

20100520-MadMen.jpg
It totally did work, for a while there we caught 'em with their pants down. Then they realized we couldn't run anymore. What do you think happened to this passing game? Is it the same short passing game we tried so badly to run last year? How'd that work out?

Tical21

Reaction score
Seymour":1tp1s2kp said:
This whole "run more campaign" is pretty lame. What the hell do people think they want to do and are trying to do? You cannot keep running when you are continuously faced with 3rd and long because your oline sucks and gets zero push.

To me I don't really care what they do or try to do anymore because I see the writing on the wall.

I'm just hoping we salvage our franchise QB out of all this...if that is even possible at this point.
if the run isn't working, you run more until it is. We saw first-hand from the Tennessee Titans what happens. They ran and ran and got stoned, time after time. Their vaunted running game was completely shut down. Did they go away from it because of some long 3rd downs? No, they kept at it. Eventually, they wore us down and got a 75 yarder, and followed it up minutes later with another big run at which point I turned the tv off. The running game is a body blow. You keep it up even if it doesn't seem effective, and reap the benefits later.

Really, for us, it's the only shot we have.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I wouldn't say Tennessee was in a prevent defense but they were only sending 4 guys. Anytime the teams we have played have sent 5 or 6 the O-line has crumbled. Once the Titans were up 30-14 they sent 4 and Seattle had some success moving the ball. Teams are not going to send 4 unless they are up a couple scores. Do not expect the same defense from opposing teams like Tennessee did when they were up, in any game in the first starting quarters. This is also a reason why the Seahawk's offense had issues in the first half.

Opposing teams view is as long as their team is close to Seattle keep sending the rush, one would be stupid not to.

Opponents can also take their sweet ass time making adjustments against us too because our scoring is so inept.