To the Chris Carson doubters

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Rat":2wmszfm0 said:
The vast majority of his production occurred late against an exhausted defense that was on the field basically the whole game.

That's not to say he wasn't impressive, but I'm not ready to phase Rawls and Prosise out of the offense either. At the very least, Carson showed why he should be the late game battering ram.
Ahh, the endless littany of excuses.

<first pre-season game>
"It was pre-season against 3rd-stringers"
<does it against the 2nd-team D>
"It was pre-season against 2nd-stringers"
<does it against the starting D in pre-season>
"It was pre-season - wait til he does it in a real game"
<does it in a real game>
"They were tired"

You know, EVERY running back who rushes 20 times runs against tired defenses. The whole entire POINT of having a back like Carson/Rawls/Lacey/Lynch is to pound the rock in the 4th quarter, because it allows you to control the clock. You can make it run fast or slow depending on whether you need points or not. Finishing the game in possession of the football is extremely important to Pete Carroll's philosophy.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3tdcpkd9 said:
Is there really any legitimate doubt anymore. Many of us recognized an athlete that wasn't just a preseason hero like Pope.

IMHO he should get the start from here on out.

We should open against the Titans with a huge dose of this kid
I wasn't aware there were any Carson doubters? Everyone's been pretty exited about the kid.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1dqbmth8 said:
FlyingGreg":1dqbmth8 said:
Who doubted him?

Hmmm

FlyingGreg":1dqbmth8 said:
People never learn around here. Its Pope-itis. Jesse Lumsden Syndrome. On and on...

Key phrase, "pre-season."

Followthelegion":1dqbmth8 said:
Carson hype train is officially insane.

I'm sorry, he has looked like a good punishing back in pre season but talk of him being the starter ahead of Rawls is ..... well just baffling.

MontanaHawk05":1dqbmth8 said:
I think the Carson hype has finally gone officially nuts. Callin' it now. I hope he lives up to it.

ivotuk":1dqbmth8 said:
Are you saying that Carson's play in preseason earned him a starting position on an NFL roster?

Who was that DE that Mora had playing that lit up the preseason? How did his career work out?

And from his biggest defenders

Sgt. Largent":1dqbmth8 said:
But which RB has the best chance at success two days from now in a VERY important game? The one who lit it up all month catching blocking and running well, or the one who hasn't played in a month with a high ankle sprain?

Hard to tell me it's not Carson.

chris98251":1dqbmth8 said:
I think once Carson gets on the field the staff is going to have a hard time getting him back off, he does everything well, has a lot of Ricky Watters qualities but without the volatile temperament.

Good grief, dude.

Seymour

Reaction score
brimsalabim":21ljlsbz said:
bigskydoc":21ljlsbz said:
Is there really any legitimate doubt anymore. Many of us recognized an athlete that wasn't just a preseason hero like Pope.

IMHO he should get the start from here on out.

We should open against the Titans with a huge dose of this kid
I wasn't aware there were any Carson doubters? Everyone's been pretty exited about the kid.

^^^^^^^^
Keep reading. There were several.

12thbrah

Reaction score
I dont think there were doubters. He just had not proved it yet in the regular season. Once he got his shot this game he literally took it and ran. Im on board. I hope it continues

minormillikin

Reaction score
Why do people have to try and stir up crap with threads like this? Instead of "to the Chris Carson doubters" maybe something like ”Chris Carson is awesome."

Rat

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":4tlntyaa said:
Rat":4tlntyaa said:
The vast majority of his production occurred late against an exhausted defense that was on the field basically the whole game.

That's not to say he wasn't impressive, but I'm not ready to phase Rawls and Prosise out of the offense either. At the very least, Carson showed why he should be the late game battering ram.

<first pre-season game>
<does it in a real game>
"They were tired"

You know, EVERY running back who rushes 20 times runs against tired defenses. The whole entire POINT of having a back like Carson/Rawls/Lacey/Lynch is to pound the rock in the 4th quarter, because it allows you to control the clock. You can make it run fast or slow depending on whether you need points or not. Finishing the game in possession of the football is extremely important to Pete Carroll's philosophy.

You're acting like I called him terrible or something. He was great; that's what "impressive" means. It's not black-and-white though. We have several tremendous options and for each of them, it's worth looking deeper into the numbers when making decisions on how to spread out carries going forward. Look at the time of possession of this game, you don't think that factored any into the Niners defensive vibrancy late in the game?

seabowl

Reaction score
minormillikin":q0gvlp5f said:
Why do people have to try and stir up crap with threads like this? Instead of "to the Chris Carson doubters" maybe something like ”Chris Carson is awesome."

I'll tell you why, because when people try to go against what you are saying and do their best to make you look uninformed then you want to call them out on it. I have been on both sides and frankly if I'm wrong I wouldn't mind if someone pointed it out especially if I took a hard original stance. Btw I had no stance on Carson so I'm calling it like I see it.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Rat":rbluh9lc said:
KiwiHawk":rbluh9lc said:
Rat":rbluh9lc said:

<first pre-season game>
<does it in a real game>
"They were tired"

You're acting like I called him terrible or something. He was great; that's what "impressive" means. It's not black-and-white though. We have several tremendous options and for each of them, it's worth looking deeper into the numbers when making decisions on how to spread out carries going forward. Look at the time of possession of this game, you don't think that factored any into the Niners defensive vibrancy late in the game?
So the running game was effective late because the defense was tired because of the time of possession which is caused by...

I'll let you work the maths on that one.

Rat

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2q2q8f0y said:
Rat":2q2q8f0y said:
KiwiHawk":2q2q8f0y said:
Rat":2q2q8f0y said:

<first pre-season game>
<does it in a real game>
"They were tired"

So the running game was effective late because the defense was tired because of the time of possession which is caused by...

I'll let you work the maths on that one.

I'm saying it helped. I don't know why you think it's an insult to say otherwise. Carson's tough running allowed us to take advantage of that situation.

He absolutely looked like he should be getting the ball late in games, and he was a big part of why we got into that position in the first place, just as a stout defensive performance by the Seahawks played a huge part in the Niners defense being on the field all game, but it's not as simple as "Carson had the best stats in this game, so he should get all the carries going forward".

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Rat":1o39izuo said:
He absolutely looked like he should be getting the ball late in games, and he was a big part of why we got into that position in the first place, just as a stout defensive performance by the Seahawks played a huge part in the Niners defense being on the field all game, but it's not as simple as "Carson had the best stats in this game, so he should get all the carries going forward".
That's another strawman argument. NO team give ALL the carries to a single back. However, they do tend to give the majority of carries to one guy, and I would like to know what - exactly - Carson needs to show in order to be deemed worthy of such a position.

With regard to the time of possession issue, theirs was not the only offense struggling today. The point I'm trying to get you to see is that the ability to run the ball, in addition to our defense being strong, contributes to the time of possession being in our favour. It contributes to their defense wearing down, which in turn contributes to the success of the running game, which forms the entirety of the run-first-and-stop-the-run philosophy of football.

We have been looking for a guy to be that consistent rusher since Lynch left. With Rawls being inured far too often and Lacey appearing to be decidedly average at this point, Carson looks like the best option to soften up the defense so that when we want to run in the 4th quarter, the option is available to us.

All big rushers seem to get stronger as the game goes on. This is because they wear down the opposing defense. They don't start off at 10 yards per clip and slow down from there. That's why a rushing offense requires patience and determination. You have to stick with it for it to become productive.

cymatica

Reaction score
He looked better when the 9ers were tired. It just looked like the blocking got better.

He is good, but so was Alexander until the o-line fell apart. No single running back is ever the answer to a bad o-line.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I have never seen a "Chris Carson doubter" on these boards. I saw a few reasonable people point out that maybe expectations should be tempered, because many preseason heroes don't pan out.

Seymour

Reaction score
nanomoz":3dodyp3r said:
I have never seen a "Chris Carson doubter" on these boards. I saw a few reasonable people point out that maybe expectations should be tempered, because many preseason heroes don't pan out.

Which is double talk for doubt.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't see the problem. Pete Loves Carson and keeps putting him out there.

Rawls has been a phenom in the past, and deserves consideration, but as soon as he struggled, Chris Carson was the man again.

They didn't even dress Lacy.

So not sure why people feel the need to argue for Carson.

Don't be surprised if Lacy gets traded for a DB.

Sealake80

Reaction score
I am so excited for this kid.

Kudos to all those who knew he was special first!

nanomoz

Reaction score
Seymour":28i7hxfl said:
nanomoz":28i7hxfl said:

There is difference between doubting and wanting more information. Especially in this context, with a rookie running back that didn't ever really carry the load in college.

keasley45

Reaction score
Carson is the real deal and the only back we have that has the skill set to actually gain yardage behind our o-line. Don't know that Rawls can do it anymore. For whatever reason, dude is just way too amped and either spazzes out resulting in him tripping over himself or wiffing on blocks or he seems to go into Julius Jones mode and cuts into the back of the biggest pile of lineman he can find.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":kxnhlhf5 said:
nanomoz":kxnhlhf5 said:

Actually it's double-talk for "you guys couldn't judge talent if it bit you on the ass, so the odds of any player making it are the same as the odds of any other player making it". Because if we could actually notice Chris Carson had anything special, then what happened to other "preseason heroes" doesn't apply any more than saying "temper the expectations on Russell Wilson, because Josh Portis didn't overtake Tarvaris Jackson". Sometimes a guy has something special, and sometimes it even apparent to mere fans.

Latest posts