Tony McDaniel Cut

Fade

Reaction score
Tical21":2gmthqzm said:
Don't underestimate this move. He wasn't our 11th most important defensive player last season. He was probably either 7 or 8. When you can shut down the run and not have to worry about it, the entire game changes. I like Rubin a lot, I really do. But we're putting a whole lotta marbles in his basket. As the salaries for these guys start to escalate in the coming years, we're going to see a good handful of these, and we're going to have to start getting a lot more production out of our drafts than we have for the last two years.

I'm just trying to bring a little perspective folks.

People are freaking out, and getting offended by the 11th starter getting cut. IN THE NFL :!: (You know. Not For Long.)

If not Tony McDaniel? Who was the worst starter on the defense last year?

I'm seriously curious.

Ranking best to worst IMO
Bobby
Mike B
Sherm
Earl (had a down year for Earl)
Kam
Mebane (Until he got hurt)
Avril
Maxwell
KJ
Bruce
and
Tony McDaniel bringing up the rear. Woe is the Seahawks for having to cut their 11th starter. :shock:

They are breaking up the team. /hyperbole

PS Throw in Jeremy Lane as the starting Nickel Back and Jordan Hill as the starting Nickel Rusher I would rank

Tony McDaniel 13th.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Fade":3eyxrfap said:
@hawknation2015
Why can't you make your points in a few sentences, why are you spinning so hard.

You told me Rubin was way worse than McDaniel in PFF grades.

If you're right take the bet, you should have no problem winning, I will give you a snap contingency = at least 90% to McDaniel 2015. Meaning Rubin has to play at least 327.6 snaps in 2016 for the bet to count.

You got 3 choices.

1. Man up. Take the bet & back your statements up.

2. Admit I'm right, and you're wrong.

3. Continue to Spin like you're doing an impersonation of Marvin :) . (The cowards way.) (No accountability for you statements.)

Dude, you need to get over yourself. I stated a FACT that the PFF grades you were citing to trash McDaniel's run defense were nearly three times worse for Rubin. I never said I was predicting that next year's grades for Rubin would be worse, and I think I explained that very clearly in a way that any 4th grader would understand.

You were wrong to say that McDaniel was Rubin's backup, when in fact Rubin was backing up McDaniel. And you are wrong to continue to denigrate the great job that McDaniel did against the run. Once again, get over yourself. This is not the place for a pointless and manufactured pissing contest about what next year's subjective and very flawed PFF grades will look like for a particular player. Move on.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2015":a6mj2pjh said:
You were wrong to say that McDaniel was Rubin's backup, when in fact Rubin was backing up McDaniel. And you are wrong to continue to denigrate the great job that McDaniel did against the run. Once again, get over yourself. This is not the place for a pointless and manufactured pissing contest about what next year's subjective and very flawed PFF grades will look like for a particular player. Move on.

I respect what Tony McDaniel did for this team these last 2 years.

I just find it hilarious people are trying to put him on some kind of pedestal. Like he is irreplaceable and the Hawks can't somehow recover from this. When I infact argue they got a better player in Ahtyba Rubin. I present the Data IN CONTEXT, and you're scared to bet because you know I'm right.

Fade

Reaction score
@HN2015 How would you rank the starters from 2015?

*edit* derp 2014

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Fade":3slr6lc4 said:
hawknation2015":3slr6lc4 said:

I respect what Tony McDaniel did for this team these last 2 years.

I just find it hilarious people are trying to put him on some kind of pedestal. Like he is irreplaceable and the Hawks can't somehow recover from this. When I infact argue they got a better player in Ahtyba Rubin. I present the Data IN CONTEXT, and you're scared to bet because you know I'm right.

In addition to all the reasons I stated for why I don't think Rubin's subjective, highly flawed PFF grade will be worse next year, I also would never place a bet on a Seahawks player doing poorly. Never have, never would.

Now I hope we can get back to actually discussing the COMPETITION at the 3T.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2t4i10t3 said:
In addition to all the reasons I stated for why I don't think Rubin's subjective, highly flawed PFF grade will be worse next year.

Based on your experience with the PFF grading scale, (Knowing its quirks). If Rubin wins the job do you think he can get an even grade, or will it be super negative. I RESPECT THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO BET.

Just an educated guess. I like your insite you bring to this forum btw. :D

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Fade":7tpqy1z5 said:
hawknation2015":7tpqy1z5 said:
In addition to all the reasons I stated for why I don't think Rubin's subjective, highly flawed PFF grade will be worse next year.

Based on your experience with the PFF grading scale, (Knowing its quirks). If Rubin wins the job do you think he can get an even grade, or will it be super negative. I RESPECT THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO BET.

I don't know. I hope he plays well. I thought Rubin looked poorly conditioned and lacking in ability against the run over the last two seasons, but as you have mentioned, there are mitigating reasons for that relating to his bum ankle and use in a two-gap defense. Playing next to Mebane should help him if he wins the starting role. Ideally, one of the younger guys would win that role, and Rubin could remain as a backup NT.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2015":26yhhcb3 said:
Fade":26yhhcb3 said:
hawknation2015":26yhhcb3 said:

I don't know. I hope he plays well. I thought Rubin looked poorly conditioned and lacking in ability against the run over the last two seasons, but as you have mentioned, there are mitigating reasons for that relating to his bum ankle and use in a two-gap defense. Playing next to Mebane should help him if he wins the starting role. Ideally, one of the younger guys would win that role, and Rubin could remain as a backup NT.

Carroll mentioned in his presser they are going to flop Mebane & Rubin between NT&3T at times, I think it will set up Mebane to have his best year. Rubin is going to surprise a lot of people this year. He is back in a 43 where he doesn't have to take on blocks he can just shoot gaps and play fast. Top to bottom this will be the fastest D-Line the Seahawks have ever fielded.

Tical21

Reaction score
Fade":3qi83mo6 said:
Tical21":3qi83mo6 said:
Don't underestimate this move. He wasn't our 11th most important defensive player last season. He was probably either 7 or 8. When you can shut down the run and not have to worry about it, the entire game changes. I like Rubin a lot, I really do. But we're putting a whole lotta marbles in his basket. As the salaries for these guys start to escalate in the coming years, we're going to see a good handful of these, and we're going to have to start getting a lot more production out of our drafts than we have for the last two years.

I'm just trying to bring a little perspective folks.

People are freaking out, and getting offended by the 11th starter getting cut. IN THE NFL :!: (You know. Not For Long.)

If not Tony McDaniel? Who was the worst starter on the defense last year?

I'm seriously curious.

Ranking best to worst IMO
Bobby
Mike B
Sherm
Earl (had a down year for Earl)
Kam
Mebane (Until he got hurt)
Avril
Maxwell
KJ
Bruce
and
Tony McDaniel bringing up the rear. Woe is the Seahawks for having to cut their 11th starter. :shock:

They are breaking up the team. /hyperbole

PS Throw in Jeremy Lane as the starting Nickel Back and Jordan Hill as the starting Nickel Rusher I would rank

Tony McDaniel 13th.
I didn't say he wasn't the 11th best starter, just that he wasn't the 11th most important. In our defense, DT is more important than any LB spot and possibly the second corner since Earl cheats that direction.

Fade

Reaction score
Tical21":20w81sh0 said:
In our defense, DT is more important than any LB spot and possibly the second corner since Earl cheats that direction.

Then why are the Seahawks spending so much money on those lesser Important positions?

Wagner =10.75 apy
KJ = 6.75 apy
Cary = 6.00 apy

Rubin = 2.60 1yr
McDaniel was 2.86 apy (3.63 final year)

*Side Note Mebane is the only big money DT left (I hope he gets extended). Seattle next year might have 0 DTs making more than those spots.

Based on your logic shouldn't the Hawks be scrimping on those positions, and spending on DT? I partially agree BTW, but the Seahawks actions disagree with you.

peppersjap

Reaction score
netskier":2r2txta6 said:
Blame Wilson and wagoner for McDaniel getting cut. For evidence listen to Pete's press conference today. Notice Pete calling McDaniel one of our CORE players. We would not cut a core player unless forced to.

Note Pete Pete saying that decision really sucked.

Note Pete saying that maybe we will try to bring him back sometime.

All three of these statements discredit the assertion that he was already on the way out.
What else is Pete going to say? He was the most logical player to be let go. I'm much happier with this than seeing Mebane cut. They weren't forced to cut him by anything but reality, somehow they have signed all our big players. it will be sad next year when you see Irvin gone and more than likely Okung and quite possibly Sweezy. We have too many good players so it is going to cost some people there jobs.

Tical21

Reaction score
Fade":ow8w73qq said:
Tical21":ow8w73qq said:
In our defense, DT is more important than any LB spot and possibly the second corner since Earl cheats that direction.

Then why are the Seahawks spending so much money on those lesser Important positions?

Wagner =10.75 apy
KJ = 6.75 apy
Cary = 6.00 apy

Rubin = 2.60 1yr

*Side Note Mebane is the only big money DT left (I hope he gets extended). Seattle next year might have 0 DTs making more than those spots.

Based on your logic shouldn't the Hawks be scrimping on those positions, and spending on DT? I partially agree BTW, but the Seahawks actions disagree with you.
Yes and I have argued as such both when Wright and then subsequently Wagner were signed. I don't believe having a lot of money tied up in LB's when you run a 4-3 is a good way to maximize value. The Seahawks seem to care more about quality of player than quality of position. Can't argue that it hasn't worked so far, I'm just scared it will catch up with them at some point.

peppersjap

Reaction score
if this move had happened last week before the signings most people wouldn't have even blinked an eye, McDaniel is a very average DT. I appreciate all he did for us but I also appreciated Kevin Vickerson and Cory Redding and Big Red but we didn't miss a beat when any of these players were let go. I'm going to leave the decisions to Pete and Schneider and not question them until we start losing.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Here is the man, shedding the block and wrapping up Lacy in the backfield, in the NFC Championship.
XXq0yG9.gif

And here he is knocking Evan Mathis on his butt to stop LeSean McCoy.
Giphy

My gratitude goes to McDaniel for serving this team well, helping us win a Super Bowl and two conference championships, leading the league in total defense and points allowed for two consecutive years, and setting a franchise record for fewest rushing yards allowed. You will be missed.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TonyMcDaniel78/status/611635681803177984[/tweet]

justafan

Reaction score
PFF is just another mans opinion its not a stat to hang your hat on.Whoever gives out the grades may or may not have even watched the games.
It was a pure money thing and I doubt he was cut because he is a worst player on the team.Nothing to be happy about.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Tical21":37l802sz said:
Fade":37l802sz said:
Tical21":37l802sz said:

Wagner =10.75 apy
KJ = 6.75 apy
Cary = 6.00 apy

Rubin = 2.60 1yr

Yes and I have argued as such both when Wright and then subsequently Wagner were signed. I don't believe having a lot of money tied up in LB's when you run a 4-3 is a good way to maximize value. The Seahawks seem to care more about quality of player than quality of position. Can't argue that it hasn't worked so far, I'm just scared it will catch up with them at some point.
So either tical is right or JS/Pete are right. I'm leaning the latter.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1mpgf6ba said:
kidhawk":1mpgf6ba said:
They are saying it's due to Wagner/Wilson deals but we still have cap room without the cut. I wonder if they plan to move money around for Kam quietly
Not sure how anything in the age of twitter can be done quietly.

That would be very disappointing to see McDaniel get cut for Kam, who still has 3 years left

Quietly as in no announcement, no fan fair. Eventually the news would get out since all contracts go through the main office for salary cap reasons, but as with Lynch last year, there was no official word about it publicly.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
It's always a pain to see a starter leaving for whatever reason. I doubt it'll hurt us all that much though. I have faith in both Rubin and Hill to perform at a level close to McDaniel.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Agreed. Almost always hate seeing someone go.