Tony Stewart hits and kills another driver

TXHawk

Reaction score
Jville":1pz5vucs said:
The references point to a pattern of incidents and self control issues ...... and are not isolated to a singular incident. There are plenty more for anyone who wants to do the searches.

None of that explains why Stewart would be so angry about an incident that didn't damage his car at all or even slow him down and that he might not have even realized happened since Ward was behind him and it's not clear that their cars even touched.

The only indisputable evidence on that video is that one driver absolutely did lose his temper and was the primary cause of the tragedy and it wasn't Tony Stewart.

A

Anonymous

Again, My brother and I raced sprint cars all through the 90's. I have driven a sprint car, at speed, on a banked clay surface, on a dusty pit area surface, in the gravel, in the mud, and (much to the chagrin of the Sheriff's department) on paved surfaces. I am VERY familiar with the controls and the visibility with those race cars and can completely put myself in Stewart's position.

Even with a clean tear-off, glare wisps across the plastic shield as you pass under the track lights and you have to operate with faith and familiarity just to get around. Even under yellow, those cars are running about 60 mph until they get lined back up where they go about 35-40 to re-take the green. These cars are direct-drive, they only have an in and out shifter, and must be push-started. Drivers must ease from fast to slow operation and will get on the gas to keep the engine from lugging. You don't want lug a $40,000 alcohol-burning, mechanically fuel injected engine, so drivers will keep them revved to insure a clean burn and proper oil pressure. It is like keeping your car in fifth gear when you slow from freeway speed down to a 45 zone and not being able to downshift. Go too slow and it jerks and bucks on you.

At parade speeds, these cars are extremely difficult to keep straight on the tacky clay surface. The best analogy for somebody to get what I mean, is to compare it to a personal watercraft. Anybody ridden a Seadoo or a Waverunner? No brakes, and you can only turn by getting on the gas. Same damn thing. It is a controlled chaos of sorts.

Like driving in the snow, Stewart was on a trajectory through the corner at about half speed. By the time he saw the kid he would have had to make the only correction his muscle memory would have had and burp the throttle to try and avoid him. But it was too late.

This kid was wearing a black driving suit and was at a place on the track that other drivers would not expect him to be. Safety policies dictate that not even track safety personnel can traverse the racing surface until the red flag, and this kid put himself in harm's way getting out of his car during the yellow. The ONLY place that a sprint car driver is safe on the track is strapped into car with roll bars around them. What this unfortunate driver did was to effectively render himself defenseless by getting out. He paid the ultimate price for it.

Sadness should be the emotion here, not anger.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Question. In these sprint cars, does the driver communicate with the pit crew like they do in Nascar?

TXHawk

Reaction score
Here 's a Facebook entry by Mark Tychoniewicz who worked on the 45 car that was ahead of Stewart and also barely missed Ward:

i have driven these cars,the right side board on the top wing will block out an entire car let alone a person standing there,i now work on the 45 car in the video and the driver said he just saw him at the last second and just missed him,Tony had even less time to react to the situation.people in the stands or watching this video have no idea how fast these thing happen and how limited our view is inside the car.it was a very bad turn of events that happened but we all know the dangers involved in the sport we love.

A

Anonymous

Diezel Dawg":2ehmav4l said:
Question. In these sprint cars, does the driver communicate with the pit crew like they do in Nascar?

Nope. No radios.

The only electronics used are transponders that are used to tell who is in what position on the track, and the magneto used to fire the ignition system.

A

Anonymous

Here is are some excellent videos showing pretty much all you need to know...

[youtube]u1cObBkYS1s[/youtube]

[youtube]QjYudmrySiw[/youtube]

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Yeah I think I'll take HoustonHawks word on this one. Kind of sad people are going after TS, regardless of his heated past, when all we have is one video. And a poor one at that

A

Anonymous

Not that I need to prove anything, but here is a crappy pic (of a pic) of us right after winning the trophy dash in 1996. I'm the good looking guy in the white shirt and Q hat standing just to the left of my bro who drove that night.

20140811 090226 zpsdb484582

TXHawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":46q3f7k8 said:
Here is are some excellent videos showing pretty much all you need to know...

[youtube]u1cObBkYS1s[/youtube]

[youtube]QjYudmrySiw[/youtube]

Interesting videos. You can see from the second one how bad visibilty is from the glare and dirt. Also the driver actually turns the wheel to the right while making left turns while using the throttle to maintain a racing line. Very difficult to do. It also explains why Stewart might goose the throttle to maneuver around a driver in the middle of the track.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
If anyone for a second thinks that Tony didn't see that driver you're absolutely nuts.

Tony Stewart is a professional driver, and a dang good one at that. He knows his car and his surroundings. From watching the video it was clear Stewart was trying to buzz the other driver to let him know that it's not ok to come after him, unfortunately he lost control too much and hit the other driver.

Just because it's stupid for the other driver to be out on the track doesn't mean it's ok for him to have been killed.

This was involuntary manslaughter and should be prosecuted as such.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
And those videos are not during a caution.

This accident occurred under caution (and after Stewart had completed an entire lap). Every other driver clearly was able to see the driver on the track.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Stewart has a history of a temper and not taking BS from other drivers. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Stewart had no intention of injuring or of course killing the other driver, but that was the result.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SonicHawk":30av2tm2 said:
And those videos are not during a caution.

This accident occurred under caution (and after Stewart had completed an entire lap). Every other driver clearly was able to see the driver on the track.

The 45 car in front of Stewart's swerves and narrowly misses him

NoChops

Reaction score
SonicHawk":10ppqbhx said:
If anyone for a second thinks that Tony didn't see that driver you're absolutely nuts.

Tony Stewart is a professional driver, and a dang good one at that. He knows his car and his surroundings. From watching the video it was clear Stewart was trying to buzz the other driver to let him know that it's not ok to come after him, unfortunately he lost control too much and hit the other driver.

Just because it's stupid for the other driver to be out on the track doesn't mean it's ok for him to have been killed.

This was involuntary manslaughter and should be prosecuted as such.

really?

If it was so cut and dry, why haven't charges been filed already?

I could say it was suicide by cop...er, car and be able to argue the point as well as you could about Tony trying to buzz him.

There is no crosswalk on a racetrack. Tony could have had an itch in his pants and was taking care of it. It was under caution after all. You have no idea what he was doing, looking at etc. The girl in turn three had some massive cans!

We weren't on the track or behind the wheel of the 14 when it happened. Please stop saying a poor video explains it all... it doesn't.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
He hasn't been charged because it's going to be a hard case to prosecute and there are few cases in which charges for events like this are immediate. This is clearly not murder which he would be handcuffed and taken to jail immediately.

You're just making excuses for Tony, when a driver is under caution he should be alert. That's the whole point of 'caution'. Now you're just making an argument for gross negligence (which is what I actually think Tony will settle for and is probably a fairer charge than involuntary manslaughter).

No, I wasn't on the track, but I'm also not an idiot. Tony Stewart is a professional at the absolute top of his game. This guy makes a living of having situational awareness at 200MPH, to think that he somehow wasn't aware of the other driver's location at 40mph is beyond me.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Tony was also driving significantly faster than the 45 and should have been driving on inside line (since he was well aware where the caution flag car ended up).

NoChops

Reaction score
not making excuses at all. Juan Pablo was under caution when he took out that truck dryer and caused an explosion at Daytona. Stuff happens.

By your argument, Montoya, record holing F1, Monaco GP, Indy 500 winner, 24 hr. LeMan, two time Cup winner should have been able to miss that truck. He didn't.

Tony didn't miss a kid running down the middle of the track. I still say it was a terrible accident.

but to each his own.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2qfz2vgu said:
Tony was also driving significantly faster than the 45 and should have been driving on inside line (since he was well aware where the caution flag car ended up).

He was pretty much on the same line as car 45 that had to swerve to miss Ward. Ward is also moving down the track

SonicHawk

Reaction score
NoChops":2sva5zvz said:
not making excuses at all. Juan Pablo was under caution when he took out that truck dryer and caused an explosion at Daytona. Stuff happens.

By your argument, Montoya, record holing F1, Monaco GP, Indy 500 winner, 24 hr. LeMan, two time Cup winner should have been able to miss that truck. He didn't.

Tony didn't miss a kid running down the middle of the track. I still say it was a terrible accident.

but to each his own.

Montoya had a mechanical issue, not driver error. Thanks for his driving history, didn't help your point. Had Montoya killed someone it would CLEARLY have been an accident.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3puhpkuq said:
SonicHawk":3puhpkuq said:

He was pretty much on the same line as car 45 that had to swerve to miss Ward. Ward is also moving down the track

That's not an excuse for a professional like Tony Stewart.