Top 3 Areas needing improvement

nwHawk

Reaction score
1. Offensive line push for the run game. Need to dictate the pace of games better.

2. Interior D-line push. Need to consider adding a right defensive end in the form similar to Chris Clemmons. Have Bennett push and roam the interior. Add a backup run D-Tackle at times we were vulnerable last year.

3. Take a ways. Need to be aggressive. We looked too safe last year. Teams really didn't have a reason to fear us, and for good reason. Part of the reason could have been injuries, but Shead looked like a safety playing corner. Solid, but not imposing. With healthy safeties we need to be more aggressive.

Wildcard. LB depth. Coyle is gone, but KPL also needs to go. We need ballers. Tough, physical, instective - with quickness.

SeahawksEast

Reaction score
1) O-Line - As stated by most everyone, no great depth of detail needed here. 2 solid NFL caliber starters in Britt at C and Joekel at G or T. If Iefedi or Glowinski continue to improve, maybe 3 solid starters on the roster for 5 slots. I expect at least 2 draft picks spent on the O-line. Missing 2 NFL caliber starters and solid depth for injury.

2) D-Line - Some have mentioned this as well. Last year, I saw less of an issue with CB and LB play as I did a lack of ability to collapse the pocket and make the opposing QB uncomfortable. Improved interior pass rush makes the LB's and CB's much more proficient in terms of ending the play more quickly. A stellar D-line masks other ills and shortcomings on a defense. I expect 2 draft picks on D-line, potentially both on the interior. My disclaimer for what I am about to say is that I know these are generational type talents, but a Cortez Kennedy clone or a Randle or Suh in their prime type interior D lineman would do wonders for the defense. Guys who can stop the run and collapse the pocket / apply pressure. I think that is the biggest bang for the buck if that guy is out there. No idea if that players exists in the draft, and I realize they are rare, but that would be huge and might be the "secret sauce" here.

3) Depth - Multiple areas throughout the roster with suspect depth. I think the LB concerns have been well addressed the last couple weeks. I'd imagine a late round LB coming onboard as well as some undrafted LB talent. Could certainly envision at least one low to mid round CB drafted as well plus undrafted talent.

Headed into the drat with 7 picks (3 - third rounders), and a few starting holes, and multiple depth needs, I expect the Hawks to trade down two to three times to stockpile picks and come out of draft weekend with 10 draft picks and then do their usual gem hunting on the undrafted list. I liked the approach of filling the LB depth and RB issue via free agency in order to spend those critical draft picks on the core areas of need - O-line and D-line. By solidifying "cheaper" or FA value areas, they can use picks to fill more expensive (in terms of free agency) spots like O-line. We all see what O-line costs to upgrade via free agency, makes sense they'd bargain shop sub prime (in terms of spend) to fill holes and then use draft picks on premium positions - LT, RT, DT, DE, etc.

kf3339

Reaction score
I also agree with the OP on the three need areas.

Personally, I am really hoping that Quinton Jefferson can make a major impact as a 3tech DT this season. He started showing some real promise before getting injured and on IR. So if he can come back strong, and really take command of that weak spot in the interior pass rushing I would be thrilled! :irishdrinkers:

semiahmoo

Reaction score
RW performance. He had his worst season as a Hawk last year. Many reasons why of course, some not his fault.

I'd put that up there along with your three already listed.

modernman

Reaction score
#1) Turnovers
1000 reasons why we were not effective turning the ball over this last season....but this is where the rubber meets the road for Seahawk football to be played...Do better!

#2) Redzone
....ah.... time to but a game plan together that......... 'doesn't include a fade to kearse'...... our stats getting to the redzone is decent...however from that point on its cringeworthly......inexcusable: git'er done this isn't baseball.

#3) See #1 and #2.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
1. O-line

2. Turnovers

3. 3rd down efficiency on the defensive side of the ball. I watched too many good QB's pick apart our defense on 3rd down last year. Our cover 3 has become to predictable and easy to pick apart if we don't get pressure on good QB's. So I guess you could also say #3 is interior pressure.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I see "turnovers" on here a bit. How does the team get back to creating more of them? Is it a secondary issue or a lack of pressure up front?

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":owes4s4l said:
I see "turnovers" on here a bit. How does the team get back to creating more of them? Is it a secondary issue or a lack of pressure up front?

#1 is Pressure up front that forces poor QB decisions IMO. Also I think #2 is we are optioning less press coverage that helps disrupt route timing.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":2mejhgte said:
Uncle Si":2mejhgte said:

#1 is Pressure up front that forces poor QB decisions IMO. Also I think #2 is we are optioning less press coverage that helps disrupt route timing.

Less press coverage a personnel thing?

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":h94gtna9 said:
Seymour":h94gtna9 said:
Uncle Si":h94gtna9 said:

Less press coverage a personnel thing?

I have to hope that it is more a personnel issue than a Chris Richard thing myself....but not certain.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1od16hz2 said:

Good question.

In general, turnovers happen because of two reasons.

1. Pressure on the QB causing poor throws, QB strip sacks and fumbles.
2. Ball hawking, ripping, hitting and general aggressiveness creating fumbles.

I still saw us doing a lot of #2 last year, Carroll teams have always been good at #2, big emphasis on attacking the ball. It's #1 where we've lost our way, especially the interior pressure on the QB causing poor throws and hits. Even the edge pass rush tailed off towards the end of the year.

chris98251

Reaction score
Need pressure to hurry throws.

Need press or disguised coverage's in the secondary to fool QB's, we do neither especially with Richard last year limited press and deep soft zone, protects the deep ball but because your playing off your not on the ball. Tackles and strips are less also since players are off and the receiver has time to adjust, run out of bounds or go down once he makes his catch.

Jville

Reaction score
In the take away department of the all important caustic ratio .........

Bradley McDougald and Pierre Desir are two natural receivers/interceptors that have been added for the 2017 campaign.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":33dxbynj said:

Bradley McDougald and Pierre Desir are two natural receivers/interceptors that have been added for the 2017 campaign.

You can only intercept the ball if your are playing on the receiver, not ten yards off.

Jville

Reaction score
chris98251":2ctrlyut said:
Jville":2ctrlyut said:

You can only intercept the ball if your are playing on the receiver, not ten yards off.

Upgrades open up expanded options for 2017. What happen in 2016 is ....... history.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1enlud1n said:
1. Improve the running game.

2. Improve pass rush, especially up the middle

3. Coverages and communication in the secondary

Addressing the interior pass rush improves the secondary.

We have addressed OL in FA as well as it should improve with experience and continuity.

Still need to add more talent in the secondary.