Top 5 Seahawks QB's of all time?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pretty sad that our 5th best QB in 38 years is a guy who only played 39 games and went 18-15 in 2 1/2 mediocre seasons.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Do people really have a good understanding of Jim Zorn as a quarterback in Seattle?

Yes he played nine seasons. That is a long time.

During that time he threw 107 touchdowns, AND 133 INTERCEPTIONS. His quarterback rating in his entire Seahawks career was 67.9. His completion percentage was 53.3 PERCENT. He averaged 160 YARDS PER GAME passing. Steve Largent, a hall of famer wide receiver was on the team for Zorn's entire Seahawks career. I don't understand why Hawk Nation has this appreciation of him as a quality quarterback like it does.

pehawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3g9d017z said:
Do people really have a good understanding of Jim Zorn as a quarterback in Seattle?

During that time he threw 107 touchdowns, AND 133 INTERCEPTIONS. His quarterback rating in his entire Seahawks career was 67.9. His completion percentage was 53.3 PERCENT. He averaged 160 YARDS PER GAME passing. Steve Largent, a hall of famer wide receiver was on the team for Zorn's entire Seahawks career. I don't understand why Hawk Nation has this appreciation of him as a quality quarterback like it does.

How old are you?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2jszwi3q said:
SonicHawk":2jszwi3q said:
KITNA?

#1. Wilson
#2. Hasselbeck
#2A. Zorn
#4. Kreig
#5. Tjack

Tjack????? Over Moon????

Moon's a gray area for me. He barely played two seasons, and yeah he's in the HOF, but he was nowhere near that player by the time he got here.

So in the end, I don't really consider him a Seahawk QB like these other guys who were drafted or traded here young and played for an extended period of time.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
hawknation2014":5o8xux2s said:
1. Russell Wilson- even in just his 3rd season, his Super Bowl championship trumps all.

2. Matt Hasselbeck- NFC championship, most passing yards, and three Pro Bowl seasons.

3. Dave Krieg- most TDs, second most yards, three playoff wins, and three Pro Bowl seasons.

4. Jim Zorn- NFC Offensive Rookie of the Year, three-consecutive 3,000 yard seasons, and Second-Team All-Pro in 1978.

5. Jon Kitna- only other QB in team history to lead the team to the playoffs.

Picking a fifth best QB is the hard part. Warren Moon almost wins by default because he's the only other QB in team history to go to the Pro Bowl, and he won Pro Bowl MVP. Moon threw for 3,678 yards and 25 TDs that year at 41 years old.

Rick Mirer was so disappointing that it's had to write his name here, though they were able to get a first round pick out of him. He is still fourth all time in passing yards and won AFC Rookie of the Year in 1993.
^^^^^^This, This, This!!!!!

I have a real soft spot for Zorn though. He was my first crush and I am still Horny for Zorny. :3:

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2tsjrbg3 said:
XxXdragonXxX":2tsjrbg3 said:
SonicHawk":2tsjrbg3 said:
KITNA?

#1. Wilson
#2. Hasselbeck
#2A. Zorn
#4. Kreig
#5. Tjack

Tjack????? Over Moon????

Moon's a gray area for me. He barely played two seasons, and yeah he's in the HOF, but he was nowhere near that player by the time he got here.

So in the end, I don't really consider him a Seahawk QB like these other guys who were drafted or traded here young and played for an extended period of time.

But TJack pretty much fits the same criteria. He was picked up as a free agent, started for only 1 season, traded away, re signed the next season and has been a backup for 1.5 seasons. He has a whole .5 more seasons (and 7 fewer games played) than Moon with Seattle. The difference, Moon was actually good for a year, made a pro bowl in fact.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
1A. Matt Flynn
1B. Russell Wilson
3. Matt Hasselbeck
4. Jim Zorn
5. Dave Krieg

;)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":18rqv70c said:
But TJack pretty much fits the same criteria. He was picked up as a free agent, started for only 1 season, traded away, re signed the next season and has been a backup for 1.5 seasons. He has a whole .5 more seasons (and 7 fewer games played) than Moon with Seattle. The difference, Moon was actually good for a year, made a pro bowl in fact.

I agree, and why I wouldn't have T-Jack on my list either.

In the end all this thread has done is make me depressed about how god awful our QB's have been. Thank baby jesus for Russell or this list would have made me find the nearest ledge to jump off.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":15eqff7k said:
XxXdragonXxX":15eqff7k said:

I agree, and why I wouldn't have T-Jack on my list either.

In the end all this thread has done is make me depressed about how god awful our QB's have been. Thank baby jesus for Russell or this list would have made me find the nearest ledge to jump off.

I put T-Jack on my list because I didn't see any substantive difference in his performance as the Seahawks starter and the performances of Kitna or Moon, and also because T-Jack has gotten crapped on way too much on this board.

In all honesty, I don't think you can make a top 5 QBs in franchise history list for the Seahawks. We've only had 4 worth any real mention.

drdiags

Reaction score
When Zorn came on-board, expansion teams were expected to stink for a long period of time. The talent level was bottom of the barrel and for him to provide any kind of decent QB play with that talent is commendable. Sure, his stats are pretty bleak looking at the glamour boys of his time, but he did his job providing a bridge to future QBs by helping to make the team competitive. It isn't like the team was 0-16 every year. The fact they never were 0-16 during his years speaks to his play as well as the other junk-yard dog players.

One of the Seahawks biggest problems was their early years, they had more success than their talent level should have allowed them, thus putting them the perpetual state of not being able to get the top-tier athletes over a big span of time. That and maybe before McCormick, they had drafts that didn't seem to get them the sustaining talent they needed.

Sorry, rambling here.

pehawk

Reaction score
drdiags":1f9x2frs said:
When Zorn came on-board, expansion teams were expected to stink for a long period of time. The talent level was bottom of the barrel and for him to provide any kind of decent QB play with that talent is commendable. Sure, his stats are pretty bleak looking at the glamour boys of his time, but he did his job providing a bridge to future QBs by helping to make the team competitive. It isn't like the team was 0-16 every year. The fact they never were 0-16 during his years speaks to his play as well as the other junk-yard dog players.

One of the Seahawks biggest problems was their early years, they had more success than their talent level should have allowed them, thus putting them the perpetual state of not being able to get the top-tier athletes over a big span of time. That and maybe before McCormick, they had drafts that didn't seem to get them the sustaining talent they needed.

Sorry, rambling here.

I discovered football around 1982. So, I for one dig the rambling.

Even though I never saw it, I've always graded Zorn on a curve, as well. And, if I'm not mistaken, there was no salary cap then (nor free agency). So, the disadvantages we're massive for expansion clubs. They we're fielding teams using their 12 picks, and most likely UDFA's.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
pehawk":1dnsytfs said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1dnsytfs said:

How old are you?

His poor stats are dependent on my age?

Look I understand the limitations in talent that Jim Zorn had to work with. I watched this team struggle through their first decade of existence. However, I still don't understand why Zorn has historically been given as much love as he has by our fan base. He had TWO seasons in his career where he threw more touchdowns than he did interceptions. TWO. The guy was mediocre (and maybe because the majority of the team was worse than mediocre it has some people feel like he should be given more credit than I feel like he deserves).

I'm sure there are many out there that disagree with me. Just an opinion.

pehawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3fi7vcms said:
pehawk":3fi7vcms said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3fi7vcms said:

How old are you?

No, I have a curious mind. So, if you we're lets say 45+ years of age, I'd be curious to hear you expand on your opinion. I would be curious on your thoughts and feelings for the talent around him. Because you're opinion would be interesting to me because I didn't get to see him play.

That's why I asked your age Sugarpants, nothing else.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
pehawk":2658ezlw said:
drdiags":2658ezlw said:

Sorry, rambling here.

I discovered football around 1982. So, I for one dig the rambling.

Even though I never saw it, I've always graded Zorn on a curve, as well. And, if I'm not mistaken, there was no salary cap then (nor free agency). So, the disadvantages we're massive for expansion clubs. They we're fielding teams using their 12 picks, and most likely UDFA's.

There was the 1976 expansion draft that allowed the Seahawks and Buccaneers to select three players from each of the other 26 teams (for a total of 39 players for each expansion club). The existing teams provided a list of "unprotected" players from which the new clubs could choose. If a player was selected from a team, that team was allowed to "protect" 2 more players on its list. That's how the expansion teams filled out their rosters and how we ended up with Dave Brown (from the Steelers).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_NFL_expansion_draft

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
pehawk":35pf2ohr said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":35pf2ohr said:
pehawk":35pf2ohr said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":35pf2ohr said:

How old are you?

No, I have a curious mind. So, if you we're lets say 45+ years of age, I'd be curios to hear you expand on your opinion. I would be curios on your thoughts and feelings for the talent around him. Because you're opinion would be interesting to me because I didn't get to see him play.

That's why I asked your age Sugarpants, nothing else.

I am honestly glad you're back pehawk. I think you bring an element to this board that we were missing for a while. Cheers! :thirishdrinkers:

Cartire

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3hu1oewv said:
pehawk":3hu1oewv said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3hu1oewv said:

How old are you?

Look I understand the limitations in talent that Jim Zorn had to work with. I watched this team struggle through their first decade of existence. However, I still don't understand why Zorn has historically been given as much love as he has by our fan base. He had TWO seasons in his career where he threw more touchdowns than he did interceptions. TWO. The guy was mediocre (and maybe because the majority of the team was worse than mediocre it has some people feel like he should be given more credit than I feel like he deserves).

No, but his poor stats are also dependent on the era he played.

Go ahead and put Manning and Brady in that era when defenses could actually effect routes and destroy QB's without giving up 50 yard penalties.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Cartire":1vc2e54i said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1vc2e54i said:
pehawk":1vc2e54i said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1vc2e54i said:

How old are you?

No, but his poor stats are also dependent on the era he played.

Go ahead and put Manning and Brady in that era when defenses could actually effect routes and destroy QB's without giving up 50 yard penalties.

^ This. Also add in the fact that it was less of a passing league then and more of a running league. More RBs from that era are considered elite big time backs than QBs.