Top 5 Seahawks QB's of all time?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yes us old timer Hawk fans wax poetic about Zorn, but he was not a horrible QB. In fact he won offensive rookie of the year and threw for 3,000 yards three straight years.

Mostly out of self preservation, because besides Largent he was surrounded by cast offs and scrubs and was running for his life 80% of the game. But yeah, he deserves to be on this list, as sad of a list as it is.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Cartire":30kamduo said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":30kamduo said:
pehawk":30kamduo said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":30kamduo said:
Do people really have a good understanding of Jim Zorn as a quarterback in Seattle?

Yes he played nine seasons. That is a long time.

During that time he threw 107 touchdowns, AND 133 INTERCEPTIONS. His quarterback rating in his entire Seahawks career was 67.9. His completion percentage was 53.3 PERCENT. He averaged 160 YARDS PER GAME passing. Steve Largent, a hall of famer wide receiver was on the team for Zorn's entire Seahawks career. I don't understand why Hawk Nation has this appreciation of him as a quality quarterback like it does.

How old are you?

His poor stats are dependent on my age?

Look I understand the limitations in talent that Jim Zorn had to work with. I watched this team struggle through their first decade of existence. However, I still don't understand why Zorn has historically been given as much love as he has by our fan base. He had TWO seasons in his career where he threw more touchdowns than he did interceptions. TWO. The guy was mediocre (and maybe because the majority of the team was worse than mediocre it has some people feel like he should be given more credit than I feel like he deserves).

I'm sure there are many out there that disagree with me. Just an opinion.

No, but his poor stats are also dependent on the era he played.

Go ahead and put Manning and Brady in that era when defenses could actually effect routes and destroy QB's without giving up 50 yard penalties.

That is true. QB stats from the 70s and early 80s can be misleading without looking at them through the lens of the day.

Zorn basically had the same stats as Archie Manning and Joe Namath.

Archie: 158 yards per game, 125 TDs against 173 INTs, 55% completions. QB rating: 67.1.
Joe: 198 yards per game, 173 TDs against 220 INTs, 50% completions. QB rating: 65.5.

An even better comparison for Zorn's style of play would be Ken "The Snake" Stabler (194 TDs, 222 INTs), another left hander who could get it done through the air or with his feet. Let's not forget that Zorn scored 17 rushing TDs for the Seahawks.

He was a great athlete, and the Zorn-Largent combination was electrifying. They ran this kind of option offense that called for Zorn and the halfback to literally sprint parallel to each other until the defense was baited into going after Zorn, at which point he could flip the ball out to the halfback for the first down.

They didn't have the most physically imposing team, but they were extremely well coached, particularly along the offensive line. Trick plays were a staple of their offense, which kept the opposing defense constantly guessing. They won games through pure grit and creativity, and had a lot of fun doing it.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Zorn was the reason I became a Seahawk fan. That alone, for me anyways, is why he makes the top 5. He was a very exciting QB to watch play.

kev007

Reaction score
:2: Fellow 12's!

My top five -

Zorn
Krieg
Moon
Hasselbeck
Wilson

Not sure if my maths are correct (they probably aren't :D ) but I make it we have had a total of 24 starting QB's and only two QB's have started only one game as a 'Hawk - any guesses?!

Kev

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Great thread. And I think it's a perfectly happy list. Good memories.

Hass
Krieg
Wilson
Zorn
Kitna

Sac

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":198f6u8a said:

Hass
Krieg
Wilson
Zorn
Kitna
I don't know how Wilson isn't at the top if every list already.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1ib2we6j said:
Zebulon Dak":1ib2we6j said:

Hass
Krieg
Wilson
Zorn
Kitna

He's got a lot of career ahead of him.

OP
OP
S

soxhawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":lt88a46i said:
SacHawk2.0":lt88a46i said:
Zebulon Dak":lt88a46i said:

Hass
Krieg
Wilson
Zorn
Kitna

That's an interesting tangent. If Wilson went on to play for the Rangers after winning Super Bowl 48, would he still be the Seahawk's number one QB of all time? I'd say no.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
soxhawk":zeiwnrpd said:
Zebulon Dak":zeiwnrpd said:
SacHawk2.0":zeiwnrpd said:
Zebulon Dak":zeiwnrpd said:

Hass
Krieg
Wilson
Zorn
Kitna

That's an interesting tangent. If Wilson went on to play for the Rangers after winning Super Bowl 48, would he still be the Seahawk's number one QB of all time? I'd say no.

Super Bowl trumps all. Until another QB wins a Super Bowl, Wilson has no pier.

On to another tangent, it's interesting to read though this all-time passers list: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... assing.htm

51 players have attempted at least one pass in team history (40 have completed a pass). Wilson's 100.8 QB rating is way higher than anyone in the top 20. Dave Krieg (82.3) is No. 2, just ahead of Hasselbeck (82.2).

The No. 1 all-time QB rating in Seahawks history is . . . Golden Tate (a perfect 158.3) for this beautiful toss and catch to Sidney Rice for a TD:

[youtube]g0cUZ9n4_kg[/youtube]

Jon Ryan (118.7) is tied at No. 2 for his 42-yard completion against Arizona in 2009.

Sac

Reaction score
C’mon now. Russell is everything you could possibly want a quarterback to be.

If it wasn’t for RGIII, Russell would be the only QB in the history of the game to post a passer rating of 100 in his rookie season. That’s unreal.

He’s every bit the warrior that Hass was, without any of the “Spazzlebeck”.

He’s clearly on pace to shatter every franchise mark, and he’ll probably hold onto those records for a long long time, Not to mention the NFL records he tied or broken.

*Until Russell, the highest passer rating by any Seahawks starting QB was Hass’ 98.2 in 2005.

*Dave Krieg holds the franchise record for TDs at 195, followed by Hass at 174. It took them a decade to hit those numbers. At Russell’s current rate, he’ll hit 195 in 7.5 years. Personally, I think he’ll do it sooner.

The kid is just great. He exudes greatness. He'll never accept anything less from himself. Russell Wilson is already the best QB this franchise has ever had, and it really isn't close. Put Russell on that '84 team, or that 2005 team, and we win. Easily.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":21k8bw7b said:
C’mon now. Russell is everything you could possibly want a quarterback to be.

If it wasn’t for RGIII, Russell would be the only QB in the history of the game to post a passer rating of 100 in his rookie season. That’s unreal.

He’s every bit the warrior that Hass was, without any of the “Spazzlebeck”.

He’s clearly on pace to shatter every franchise mark, and he’ll probably hold onto those records for a long long time, Not to mention the NFL records he tied or broken.

*Until Russell, the highest passer rating by any Seahawks starting QB was Hass’ 98.2 in 2005.

*Dave Krieg holds the franchise record for TDs at 195, followed by Hass at 174. It took them a decade to hit those numbers. At Russell’s current rate, he’ll hit 195 in 7.5 years. Personally, I think he’ll do it sooner.

The kid is just great. He exudes greatness. He'll never accept anything less from himself. Russell Wilson is already the best QB this franchise has ever had, and it really isn't close. Put Russell on that '84 team, or that 2005 team, and we win. Easily.

All the things you say are true. He has a lot of football left to play. If he maintains a high level of play for another decade+ he'll be not only the greatest Seahawks QB of all time but one of the best to ever play the game. But he has to play the games first. I don't doubt him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Zorn had to play with a disheveled team for his first few years until we got stability. cast offs ageing vets, unsigned players, he was always taking a beating and was able to maintain his Russell Wilson Image to this day.

He was the AntI David Carr, he didn't bend or break till his horrific leg injury, the guy was as tough a person who ever put on a Seahawk Jersey.

Thats why he is special, having helped a Expansion team excel at a pace unheard of and set winning records by year for an expansion team to be the Model for the ones that followed.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Where is the love for our preseason wonder QB heroes?
Anyone remember that Sean Salisbury actually lit it up in preseason for the Seahawks once upon a time?

olyfan63

Reaction score
BlueBlood":18rc93ul said:
Wilson #1
Kreig #2
Hass #3
Moon #4
Zorn #5

Yes, the one true list...

It's interesting to me that most people put Krieg ahead of Hasselbeck. I do as well, I just wasn't expecting the majority to go that way.

Like an earlier poster said, Krieg did more with less physical talent than perhaps any other player ever to play the position. And he was damn exciting to watch when he was "on".

chris98251

Reaction score
Kreig arguably has stats that could get him into the Hall, we just never won big enough.

Tical21

Reaction score
I think the list kind of has to stop at 4. There isn't any kind of decent 5th option.

I still have Matthew first. I'm in the bag or the guy, so sue me.

McGruff

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1ilvi7fg said:
Do people really have a good understanding of Jim Zorn as a quarterback in Seattle?

Yes he played nine seasons. That is a long time.

During that time he threw 107 touchdowns, AND 133 INTERCEPTIONS. His quarterback rating in his entire Seahawks career was 67.9. His completion percentage was 53.3 PERCENT. He averaged 160 YARDS PER GAME passing. Steve Largent, a hall of famer wide receiver was on the team for Zorn's entire Seahawks career. I don't understand why Hawk Nation has this appreciation of him as a quality quarterback like it does.

Different era. For example, there is this one guy I know who had these career stats . . .

51% completion rate
166 yards per game
1.2 tds per game
1.1 int's per game

And that guy is in the HOF.