Top paid NFL Quarterbacks 2018

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2jilzfhv said:
Spin Doctor":2jilzfhv said:
We also let go most of our lineman. We let Carpenter, Breno, Sweezy, and Okung all walk. I'd argue that this is how our team decided to compensate. They believed in Cables ability to turn nobodies into lineman, and they thought that they could get away with letting our talent on offensive line walk.

And let's not pretend that the only cap space issue was O-linemen competing with RW's contract. We had a number of big, fat Defense player contracts to fulfill, too. Pete believed the O-line could be patchworked and still function. I don't like it, but that's where he robbed from to pay both RW and the D, which are his focus.

Hopefully this year will create more stability on the O-line, and even if Russ gets paid, we can keep the rookie contracts coming.
Russell's contract was part of that though. When such a huge portion of cap is taken up by one player you have to adjust somewhere. The Seahawks didn't want to break up their defense so we let go of depth players, and we chose not to retain our offensive lineman. We went from having one of the highest paid lines during our Super Bowl run to having one of the lowest paid lines. The QB salary DEFINITELY did play a huge role here. There were defensive contracts, but we also had a large portion of our cap tied into just one player. Wilson's contract definitely did play a part.

Every team has to make this kind of decision when they sign their Quarterback to a huge contract. We decided to keep our defense together, and pay our offensive line pennies. Most other teams seem to go all in on the offense and neglect the defensive side of the ball all together, or one area of a defense will be good and all other aspects of the defense will be cobbled together.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":fi5l108f said:
Ad Hawk":fi5l108f said:
Spin Doctor":fi5l108f said:
We also let go most of our lineman. We let Carpenter, Breno, Sweezy, and Okung all walk. I'd argue that this is how our team decided to compensate. They believed in Cables ability to turn nobodies into lineman, and they thought that they could get away with letting our talent on offensive line walk.

And let's not pretend that the only cap space issue was O-linemen competing with RW's contract. We had a number of big, fat Defense player contracts to fulfill, too. Pete believed the O-line could be patchworked and still function. I don't like it, but that's where he robbed from to pay both RW and the D, which are his focus.

Hopefully this year will create more stability on the O-line, and even if Russ gets paid, we can keep the rookie contracts coming.
Russell's contract was part of that though. When such a huge portion of cap is taken up by one player you have to adjust somewhere. The Seahawks didn't want to break up their defense so we let go of depth players, and we chose not to retain our offensive lineman. We went from having one of the highest paid lines during our Super Bowl run to having one of the lowest paid lines. The QB salary DEFINITELY did play a huge role here. There were defensive contracts, but we also had a large portion of our cap tied into just one player. Wilson's contract definitely did play a part. Every team has to make this kind of decision when they sign their Quarterback to a huge contract. We decided to keep our defense together, and pay our offensive line pennies. Most other teams seem to go all in on the offense and neglect the defensive side of the ball all together, or one area of a defense will be good and all other aspects of the defense will be cobbled together.
:2thumbs: Right on..
Yes the OL cut to pay everyone else around RW was a faliure.
So was cutting the long snapper and letting the K go..The FA
signings to compensate for some things were all failures in the
end.The injuries were awful and hurt in key places with no depth.
The chunk of cap to RW did as Spin says-"play a role"..

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I think a lot of you guys are forgetting that going to back to back Super Bowls also drives up the demand/price on just about your entire roster.

Hawks couldn't compete in FA with a lot of other teams. I don't expect players that were crucial to our success (like Breno, Sweezy, Tate, Maxwell, Browner, etc.) to take a 25% pay cut to just stay in Seattle. Not to mention the guys that we DID resign that were almost all the top paid or top 3 salary at their position. I don't recall specifics, but I believe Sherm, Earl and Kam were all top paid at their positions at some point. Then you had guys like Bobby who needed to be extended and earned his dough, Bennett and Avril getting resigned, Marshawn being the highest paid RB at the time, etc.

Getting burned on the Harvin contract and having to pay that nobody a fat salary didn't help. RW getting paid and losing talent didn't occur in a vacuum, there were many factors. I'm not saying it's not or can't be one of the main contributing factors, but it's not like our roster fell apart simply because we identified and paid our franchise QB a fair market rate.

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
IndyHawk":id024j0i said:
Spin Doctor":id024j0i said:
Ad Hawk":id024j0i said:
Spin Doctor":id024j0i said:

Russell's contract was part of that though. When such a huge portion of cap is taken up by one player you have to adjust somewhere. The Seahawks didn't want to break up their defense so we let go of depth players, and we chose not to retain our offensive lineman. We went from having one of the highest paid lines during our Super Bowl run to having one of the lowest paid lines. The QB salary DEFINITELY did play a huge role here. There were defensive contracts, but we also had a large portion of our cap tied into just one player. Wilson's contract definitely did play a part. Every team has to make this kind of decision when they sign their Quarterback to a huge contract. We decided to keep our defense together, and pay our offensive line pennies. Most other teams seem to go all in on the offense and neglect the defensive side of the ball all together, or one area of a defense will be good and all other aspects of the defense will be cobbled together.

This is all fine, but still does not address the issue that instead of drafting known entities at linemen that were available, we decided to let Cable pick his Mongo-has-never-played-a-snap-at-this-position-but-he-has-the-physical-qualities players. We went through several years of that sort of thing--picking obscure nobodies because somebody in the front office liked how high they could jump or how much they could bench, or how they looked in a locker room mirror. That, to me is a more glaring indictment of things rather than not being able to afford to pay them more money.

If we had picked safer, more experienced and known picks on the line instead of project guys, we'd still have paid them rookie contracts, but we'd probably have had a much better line, and we'd have pushed that whole running-out-of-money for the line down the road.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":6w8gssvz said:
IndyHawk":6w8gssvz said:
Spin Doctor":6w8gssvz said:
Ad Hawk":6w8gssvz said:

This is all fine, but still does not address the issue that instead of drafting known entities at linemen that were available, we decided to let Cable pick his Mongo-has-never-played-a-snap-at-this-position-but-he-has-the-physical-qualities players. We went through several years of that sort of thing--picking obscure nobodies because somebody in the front office liked how high they could jump or how much they could bench, or how they looked in a locker room mirror. That, to me is a more glaring indictment of things rather than not being able to afford to pay them more money.

If we had picked safer, more experienced and known picks on the line instead of project guys, we'd still have paid them rookie contracts, but we'd probably have had a much better line, and we'd have pushed that whole running-out-of-money for the line down the road.
The Seahawks picked plenty of conventional lineman under Cable. Britt, Procic, Ifedi, Carpenter, Poole, Glowinski, Hunt Justin Senior, Odihambo, Bowie, and Moffit. We also added into the mix those prospects you talked about, hell we spent draft picks on some of those strange conversion prospects, Sweezy being the most notable, and successful one.

We've actually thrown in some considerable draft capital with minimal return at the offensive line position. When we did get good lineman we didn't extend them. Thankfully they learned their lesson, and resigned Britt and decided to go after guys like Brown as well as getting vets such as Fluker, and Sweezy.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
There is one word that describes this discussion.

PARODY

This is what the NFL wanted. They got it. Spend wisely. If you put all your $$ on 1 player you will not be able to have many good players to help him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Russ' contract looks like a massive bargain now. Funny how when a guy signs, people freak out. Only to look at it a few years later as a bargain. Just sayin......

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
MD5eahawks":48puev5t said:

PARODY

This is what the NFL wanted. They got it. Spend wisely. If you put all your $$ on 1 player you will not be able to have many good players to help him.

Parity. You mean parity. The NFL wants teams on equal footing. They don't want the league to be a critically satirical representation of a more serious league.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1nvuse34 said:
Russ' contract looks like a massive bargain now. Funny how when a guy signs, people freak out. Only to look at it a few years later as a bargain. Just sayin......

That's it in a nutshell.

At this point the mantle of "Highest paid player in NFL history" is simply a synonym for "the next QB on the list to get paid". Everyone freaks out when they get paid, compare them to salaries of the best QBs, and complain about the structure.

Then, invariably, a few years later their deals look like bargains.

Just the way it goes.

That's why I never freaked on the Garoppolo deal. That and they front loaded the hell out of it so he's much cheaper in years 2-5.

Just an example, the next batch of QBs will cost in the 33-35 mil per year range and Jimmy cap number is 20 mil per the next two years. I don't say this as a "hey look, Niners are smart" statement. My point here is that Garoppolo was paid LAST YEAR as the highest paid player in NFL history and if he plays well it ALREADY will look like a bargain.

Nature of the business.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":tcsawypa said:
Not sure if this accurate, but in the thread from the Falcons Board, one of the persons mentioned this....

"They are already talking about a separate part of the CAP just for QBs - because of what has happened over last few years, essentially a sep escrow for QB and the other 52 players will be under the regular cap - makes sense because right now teams cant really team build if they have to pay a decent qb and are just going all out with a qb on a rookie contract."

I do not know if it is real or not, but I did ask where they got that information from. I hope for a response.

Under that system, soon every decent quarterback where there is any sort of competition for his services, would get bid up to a max deal with no reason to save that cap space for other places. I'm sure QBs would love that system though haha

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3s1jktds said:
MD5eahawks":3s1jktds said:

PARODY

Parity. You mean parity. The NFL wants teams on equal footing. They don't want the league to be a critically satirical representation of a more serious league.
:D
My bad. Too funny. Thanks for the catch.
Although I think it might be a parody. ;-)