Trade Cliff Avril

seabowl

Reaction score
HawkWow":2cyg5vxm said:
lukerguy":2cyg5vxm said:
There's nothing wrong with Cliff, he's just not big or good enough to play LEO. Put him back as a fresh situational rusher.

Agreed, and he's been big for us in that role, but I don't see us re-signing him at his current rate of pay.

Cliff must be really upset at himself. If he had only signed the 1 year deal like Bennett he would have made big $$$$ in the offseason. Now he is on a 1 year deal and looking rather ordinary and exposed. If he does not show something more this year his next contract will be most likely for average money. On a good note his chances of returning increase as we may be able to afford him.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Bennett (I'm pretty sure) signed a multi year deal). Avril is under contract so he was not offered anything similar. I'm completely blown away by what people post without doing any research at all.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
peppersjap":1o9d5ans said:
Bennett (I'm pretty sure) signed a multi year deal). Avril is under contract so he was not offered anything similar. I'm completely blown away by what people post without doing any research at all.

If you're referring to the post above yours which I think you are, you're not reading his post correctly. He's saying when both Bennett and Avril initially signed to the Hawks in 2012, Bennett signed a 1 year 5mil prove it deal and Avril signed like a 2 year 13mil deal. Now last year after the Bennett's 1 year contract was over, he cashed in on a great season. Avril didn't get that opportunity to cash in because he initially signed a 2 year deal instead of a 1 year prove it deal and is having not that great of a season so far.

Hate to be an ass, but it just annoys me when people call other people out and didn't even understand what was being referenced.

northseahawk":1o9d5ans said:
Why couldn't we move up to draft Aaron Donald?? He is looking like a possessed beast already as a rookie. He was chasing even the receivers today.

Cmon there's a lot of things to complain about, but that's not even realistic without giving up the farm. He was taken at like #14, we were picking at #32...would've cost that first and next years first at the least. Absolutely crazy for that to happen.

HansGruber":1o9d5ans said:
kearly":1o9d5ans said:
CALIHAWK1":1o9d5ans said:
I miss Chris Clemons

Clemons has four sacks so far. Jared Allen has 1.5. Who'd have thunk it?

I'm guessing Seattle lands Cameron Wake this next offseason.

Cameron Wake? He's 32. I dunno. Carroll and Schneider typically don't like the older free agents.

Wake would be a downgrade from Avril, IMHO.

Yeah his age is a cause for concern, but the dude has been a monster since he's been in the league from the CFL. Most underrated pass rusher in the league and has been for a long time, he's honestly on par with some of the top guys. I personally think he's a clear upgrade from Avril especially if we're just looking at the season so far. Hate to just look at stats alone, but it shows a little glimpse of how good he's been.

G GS Comb Total Ast Sck

2014 Miami Dolphins 6 6 11 9 2 4.5
2013 Miami Dolphins 15 15 37 29 8 8.5
2012 Miami Dolphins 16 16 53 38 15 15.0
2011 Miami Dolphins 16 14 42 37 5 8.5
2010 Miami Dolphins 16 16 57 48 9 14.0
2009 Miami Dolphins 14 1 23 19 4 5.5

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Yep lets throw the guy under the bus that caused 2 huge turnovers in the Super Bowl...

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
RunTheBall":2g3ttmsc said:
Yep lets throw the guy under the bus that caused 2 huge turnovers in the Super Bowl...

Last year is last year, especially only considering one game, but yeah trading him away is nonsense. You get rid of Avril, what do you have behind him?

Nothing, but a bigger hole you've created.

Still a lot of time to turn it around and he was getting some pressure early on in the first few games, but it definitely seems like everyone has taken a step back last two weeks or so.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
SeatownJay":33m4roff said:
I don't put it on Avril. When was the last time one of our defensive tackles got within 5 yards of the QB?

This is a cop out. Avail's lack of pressure may be partially blamed on the lack of an interior pass rush, but his inability to set the edge can't be. He was awful at containing the RB bouncing out yesterday, so much so that Sherman was hugging the LOS out of necessity. That's simply mot how this defense works.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Sherm was hugging the LOS because Austin Davis was throwing the ball about 4-5 yards past the LOS on most plays. Seattle gave up 3.8 yards a carry yesterday.. 27 rushes for 102 yds.

The defense was bad in the redzone and on one drive yesterday.. Special teams (while normally a stalwart group for us) shit the bed big time and their repeated failures yesterday are what played the largest part in the loss IMO.

Not making excuses for them, but ST is one of the groups that are affected greatly by injury and depth issues.

We just need to ride out this injury storm as best as we can and keep ourselves within striking distance, because we know and so does any NFL fan/prognosticator that we are one of the most talented teams in the NFL and we are suffering a little bit of identity crisis now. They will get it figured out.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":2w3291gd said:
CALIHAWK1":2w3291gd said:
I miss Chris Clemons

Clemons has four sacks so far. Jared Allen has 1.5. Who'd have thunk it?

I'm guessing Seattle lands Cameron Wake this next offseason.

I'd have thought that Allen would have 1.5 sacks. I thought Clemons was playing good ball at the end of last season, but I was also expecting a bit of dropoff going to the Jags. I understand why the FO thought he was getting a bit old and jettisoned the contract, but if Harvin's contract was the reason we let go of Clem, then that's the biggest cost of that trade this season, IMO.

You serious about Wake ? I don't see that guy taking a discount and he'll cost us too much.

Largent80

Reaction score
I still believe we are the victims of a horrendous schedule. The Thursday night game, then 10 days to the next game in 110 degree heat, then play Denver 1 week later, then a 15 day bye, then play a hot Dallas team with a crap game plan, then today with a whole new game plan.

there is zero continuity on any of our teams. Offense, defense, and now add special teams. I find it rather foolish to blame one player or even one coach for any of it.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Largent80":11xw1eqe said:
I still believe we are the victims of a horrendous schedule. The Thursday night game, then 10 days to the next game in 110 degree heat, then play Denver 1 week later, then a 15 day bye, then play a hot Dallas team with a crap game plan, then today with a whole new game plan.

there is zero continuity on any of our teams. Offense, defense, and now add special teams. I find it rather foolish to blame one player or even one coach for any of it.

Did you honestly just blame the schedule for our losses rather than the players and coaches? *mod edit*