Training Camp 8/09/17

OP
OP
LolaRox

LolaRox

Reaction score
semiahmoo":5l2o7ls7 said:
Got to say - our receivers are looking pretty darn good. (Def. include big Jimmy in this. Dude is fast!)

Then again, our secondary be looking a little tired....

Could this be because the defense has to suppress their physicality in practice?

The preseason games should shed some light on how the WR/DBs are progressing.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2bjhal78 said:
Can't say that I agree with these conclusions, as we don't actually KNOW whether or not, that Cable is sorting for backup players..

Just about any other team, and I would agree with you. Year after year, we have seen the same pattern, though.

Continual shuffling of the line in camp, preseason, and through the first 3-4 games before we settle on our starting line for the year.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
LolaRox":1fk600ym said:
semiahmoo":1fk600ym said:
Got to say - our receivers are looking pretty darn good. (Def. include big Jimmy in this. Dude is fast!)

Then again, our secondary be looking a little tired....

Could this be because the defense has to suppress their physicality in practice?

The preseason games should shed some light on how the WR/DBs are progressing.

Valid point. I was talking more about the one-on-one battles w/receivers where the receivers were getting behind the d-backs time and time again and of those examples it was happening most often to Sherman and Earl Thomas.

The upside to this is how well Graham is looking. He's a huge target of course, but his speed and timing he's showing at this camp are remarkable. Bumps off defense, sharp slant, easy catch. Over and over again.

If this offense targets him right this season the guy could churn out 100+ yard reception games every game or when teams are forced to adjust/double-team, Baldwin will be licking his chops as will the running backs as opposing D will have to shift on their heels in expectation of Jimmy.

Seems so damn simple having a player of his size and talent and yet...

OP
OP
LolaRox

LolaRox

Reaction score
@Scutterhawk

Yes, that is a perfect strategy for your back-ups, you want them to be versatile. However, there are only 1-2 starters (Britt and Fant - assuming Fant wins the job) that know where they're going to play this season and played the same position last year. I think most would agree that OL is the one group that absolutely benefits form working as unit and gaining continuity, but how do you achieve that with the constant shuffling?

As Bigskydoc points out, if it was just this offseason or back-ups maybe it's not a big deal, but this has been their pattern over years.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
semiahmoo":uqhfaaal said:
I was talking more about the one-on-one battles w/receivers where the receivers were getting behind the d-backs time and time again and of those examples it was happening most often to Sherman and Earl Thomas. ..

Same thing happens every year in Seahawks training camp. I wouldn't let it worry me.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
There isn't a Pro Bowl defensive back in the country that wouldn't get tired and let receivers behind them if the QB was a slimmed-down, re-mobilized Russell Wilson.

hawk45

Reaction score
1) Prefer raw offensive linemen and conversion projects who will take more time to learn technique/footwork/balance
2) Train players at multiple positions, further extending time-to-proficiency
3) Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle

The obsession with versatility means it's going to take longer for a player to progress at a single position. That is going to delay identifying the starting unit. This is a problem we have because we seem to have zero idea what NFL position any of our OL draft picks will end up playing. We do, however, know for sure that the basketball players and TEs belong at tackle.

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah I can hear Richard telling our DB's and LB's to go full tilt, one week into practice we have a IR full of concussed and injured players.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":b963ojuq said:
There isn't a Pro Bowl defensive back in the country that wouldn't get tired and let receivers behind them if the QB was a slimmed-down, re-mobilized Russell Wilson.

Good point!

RW is just too damn fast now. :D