Training camp battles

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Right tackle. Curhan vs Lucas. Going to be a great position battle. Wish we could get both on the field together.

Also, I wish they would bring in a kicker to compete with Meyers. He seems to have gotten into his own head, like all our precious kickers for some reason.

And corner should be fun as well as said by previous posters. Lots of depth there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
He wasn't slow at all, wondering why 9ers didn't keep him?
I have a ton of faith in this rookie class, I think they are taking starting jobs left and right! I forgot that The Hawks acquired this Olympian. His event was the long jump but he aint slow!

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Right tackle. Curhan vs Lucas. Going to be a great position battle. Wish we could get both on the field together.

Also, I wish they would bring in a kicker to compete with Meyers. He seems to have gotten into his own head, like all our precious kickers for some reason.

And corner should be fun as well as said by previous posters. Lots of depth there.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
SS Scott Nelson faces tough competition, but his numbers say 40 time: 4.38, and vertical jump: 39.5 inches
Dareke Young could be Deebo's 'little' brother(Dareke is bigger, and slightly faster...both have big hands) .
Maybe these guys could help special teams.

Throwdown

Reaction score
SS Scott Nelson faces tough competition, but his numbers say 40 time: 4.38, and vertical jump: 39.5 inches
Dareke Young could be Deebo's 'little' brother(Dareke is bigger, and slightly faster...both have big hands) .
Maybe these guys could help special teams.

Dareke intrigues me to hell n back. I hope he gets a good burn in preseason

chrispy

Reaction score
Recalling the early years, it's easy to predict that these battles will change daily. I'm eager to see the OTs. I predict there will be vet cb and nickel brought in as cuts happen, maybe wr too and we'll see how Barton does. Roster changes frequently. I think there will be battles won by players that aren't even on the radar yet. It's frankly much more exciting than it's been in years. Perhaps that excitement wanes if the reg season starts with a string of losses. But for now, it's cool to observe the next FA/third day superstar.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
I had dinner with Jim Mora Sr. and his wife once, sat next to him, very nice guy and talked like a coach even in retirement.
A little "Trust Me Bro" anecdote you guys totally never asked for:

I used to roast coffee for a company here in Seattle. The name probably rhymes with Sarcucks. I worked at their shiny facility on Capitol Hill. There is a lower area in this facility with its own bar with private visual access to the large coffee roaster, which is often closed and cordoned off for private events. This was 6 or 7 years ago now, but one day my supe tells me there's gonna be a very special event that evening, I'll be working it, and I need be on my best behavior yada yada.

I don't think much of it. It happens often enough. I'm going about my day, watching people set up for the event and guests slowly filtering in. Then an older gentleman walks in that I know I've seen before, but he usually looks different. Then it hits me like a freight train. It's freakin Papa Pete Carroll and his whole family. They're there for his son Nate's rehearsal dinner before his wedding. I fan-girl screamed internally for about 15 straight minutes, then got my S together and put on a little show and answered questions and whatnot.

Coincidentally, he doesn't talk as much like a coach as I thought, nor did I push to talk about football out of respect for the situation. He spent most of the night sprinting around chasing his grandchildren like he was 20 years old. But man, when we did chat was he ever intelligent, kind, and super fun to talk to. And he was very tolerant of my insistence on calling him "Coach" the whole night haha. Also coincidentally that evening I learned he doesn't drink coffee and has never tried any in his life. So, yeah. There's that.

Back on the topic of Camp Battles: I'm fired up to see how the pass rush rotation shakes itself out. I'll have a hard eye on the LB and CB battles. And I'm also interested in seeing how they implement and deploy all their weapons at TE. I think that's a position groups that is dying to have its versatility and multiplicity leveraged.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
A little "Trust Me Bro" anecdote you guys totally never asked for:

I used to roast coffee for a company here in Seattle. The name probably rhymes with Sarcucks. I worked at their shiny facility on Capitol Hill. There is a lower area in this facility with its own bar with private visual access to the large coffee roaster, which is often closed and cordoned off for private events. This was 6 or 7 years ago now, but one day my supe tells me there's gonna be a very special event that evening, I'll be working it, and I need be on my best behavior yada yada.

I don't think much of it. It happens often enough. I'm going about my day, watching people set up for the event and guests slowly filtering in. Then an older gentleman walks in that I know I've seen before, but he usually looks different. Then it hits me like a freight train. It's freakin Papa Pete Carroll and his whole family. They're there for his son Nate's rehearsal dinner before his wedding. I fan-girl screamed internally for about 15 straight minutes, then got my S together and put on a little show and answered questions and whatnot.

Coincidentally, he doesn't talk as much like a coach as I thought, nor did I push to talk about football out of respect for the situation. He spent most of the night sprinting around chasing his grandchildren like he was 20 years old. But man, when we did chat was he ever intelligent, kind, and super fun to talk to. And he was very tolerant of my insistence on calling him "Coach" the whole night haha. Also coincidentally that evening I learned he doesn't drink coffee and has never tried any in his life. So, yeah. There's that.

Back on the topic of Camp Battles: I'm fired up to see how the pass rush rotation shakes itself out. I'll have a hard eye on the LB and CB battles. And I'm also interested in seeing how they implement and deploy all their weapons at TE. I think that's a position groups that is dying to have its versatility and multiplicity leveraged.
You and I took the same approach, I didn't talk football with coach Mora, and he didn't volunteer.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I appreciate the anecdotes as well as the topic.

The distinction between starters and role players is less important now than ever. That's especially true in a rebuilding year when the Hawks are going to be trying to develop youth and are long shots to make the playoffs.

I expect Jordyn Brooks, the starting QB, Damien Lewis, and Charles Cross to get 100% of the snaps this season while they are healthy. Probably Diggs and Adams too. Everywhere else, the interesting outcomes will be how players work their way into the rotations and how they contribute when they are on the field. The real battles will be on the back end of the roster among the fringe roster candidates.

Eskridge is going to get his opportunities on third downs provided he can stay healthy. The question is whether he can get some early down stuff as well.

Personally, I'd like to see Myles Adams work his way into the rotation. He has a good motor and should be able to make contributions in a number of spots in our multiple front defense. I'd also like to see Phil Haynes, who Adams lauded as the best player he faced in college, get some play at RG over Gabe Jackson.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Wow, Scott Nelson (40 time: 4.38, and vertical jump: 39.5 inches) and Dareke Young are two players who were off of my radar... Thank you for mentioning them!!!

The national press has nothing good to say about the Seahawks as a team...But, I think we are on our way to a new era of group speed, toughness and teamwork.

#3 would say "Go Hawks"...But now we should say "Beware to our opponents...the new Seahawks are your nightmare".

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
I appreciate the anecdotes as well as the topic.

The distinction between starters and role players is less important now than ever. That's especially true in a rebuilding year when the Hawks are going to be trying to develop youth and are long shots to make the playoffs.

I expect Jordyn Brooks, the starting QB, Damien Lewis, and Charles Cross to get 100% of the snaps this season while they are healthy. Probably Diggs and Adams too. Everywhere else, the interesting outcomes will be how players work their way into the rotations and how they contribute when they are on the field. The real battles will be on the back end of the roster among the fringe roster candidates.

Eskridge is going to get his opportunities on third downs provided he can stay healthy. The question is whether he can get some early down stuff as well.

Personally, I'd like to see Myles Adams work his way into the rotation. He has a good motor and should be able to make contributions in a number of spots in our multiple front defense. I'd also like to see Phil Haynes, who Adams lauded as the best player he faced in college, get some play at RG over Gabe Jackson.
I too would love to see Gabe Jackson squeezed out of the starting O-line by one of either Phil Haynes or Jake Curhan; that is if Abe Lucas inexplicably comes out and dominates the RT competition of course.

I like a lot about Phil Haynes' game, but I do wonder if he has the lateral agility and short area quickness to be consistently effective in some of the zone stretch run concepts. Given how almost purpose built both Penny and Walker are for the 1-cut-and-run nature of zone stretch I believe any Seahawks OL member has got to be able to hack it moving their man laterally and not just straight forward. But I also had the same questions about Curhan and he acquitted himself rather nicely in that department down the stretch last season.

I'm also curious who fleshes out the back end of the rotation at 0 Tech behind Woods and Mone. Does Poona factor in there regularly or does he factor as more of a 5 Tech? Myles Adams as you mentioned as well. Lots of pieces to play with in there.

The bottom 1/4 of the roster competitions should be blast to watch this year.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I too would love to see Gabe Jackson squeezed out of the starting O-line by one of either Phil Haynes or Jake Curhan; that is if Abe Lucas inexplicably comes out and dominates the RT competition of course.

I like a lot about Phil Haynes' game, but I do wonder if he has the lateral agility and short area quickness to be consistently effective in some of the zone stretch run concepts. Given how almost purpose built both Penny and Walker are for the 1-cut-and-run nature of zone stretch I believe any Seahawks OL member has got to be able to hack it moving their man laterally and not just straight forward. But I also had the same questions about Curhan and he acquitted himself rather nicely in that department down the stretch last season.

I'm also curious who fleshes out the back end of the rotation at 0 Tech behind Woods and Mone. Does Poona factor in there regularly or does he factor as more of a 5 Tech? Myles Adams as you mentioned as well. Lots of pieces to play with in there.

The bottom 1/4 of the roster competitions should be blast to watch this year.
If I get it right, Penny started to have room to run after Curhan, Haynes, Pocic and Lewis, started on the OL. Pocic is gone but the other 3 are still here .....