Two-round mock draft & why Panthers O-line matters to SEA

ivotuk

Reaction score
iIRC, they also said they took Britt at 2 because they wouldn't be picking for awhile after that and figured he would be gone by then.

I HATE the way the draft Olinemen, it's been a disaster since day one, and the only decent ones we had were injury prone Okung (Alex Gibbs Pick) and Unger (Tim Ruskell pick). Then there were the FAs that played pretty good.

They need to get over themselves and look to someone else's evaluations on centers, guards and tackles. Letting Bitonio get away was a HUGE mistake!

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
I would love this draft for the O-line picks. I would be ecstatic for Martin or Coleman at 26.

D. Jones looks like he can be a contributor, particularly with Irvin likely leaving. However, when I watch his tape, he tends to fail to finish his tackle. Some good coaching is needed.

bighawk

Reaction score
Shon Coleman and Denver Kirkland we need girth and power. Give Russell time and he will pick teams apart.

McGruff

Reaction score
bighawk":2tugkvj5 said:
Shon Coleman and Denver Kirkland we need girth and power. Give Russell time and he will pick teams apart.

I like Coleman, but not a fan of Kirkland.

But I disagree with the overall premise. We were killed by guys like Aaron Donald and Kawaan Short. Quick, penetrating, agile DT's who ate our more powerful linemen (Britt, Lewis and Sweezy) alive. Fat, slow, strong OL will not help.

titan3131

Reaction score
McGruff":1me3ur1f said:
bighawk":1me3ur1f said:

But I disagree with the overall premise. We were killed by guys like Aaron Donald and Kawaan Short. Quick, penetrating, agile DT's who ate our more powerful linemen (Britt, Lewis and Sweezy) alive. Fat, slow, strong OL will not help.

Fat, FAST, strong OL will * help!

tretola

TRETOLA

TRETOLA!!!

McGruff

Reaction score
titan3131":175xk2v7 said:
McGruff":175xk2v7 said:
bighawk":175xk2v7 said:

tretola

TRETOLA

TRETOLA!!!

I'd love to see us go 123 with Coleman, Tretola and Glasgow. That would make my day.

firebee

Reaction score
McGruff":2ghgyqjy said:
titan3131":2ghgyqjy said:
McGruff":2ghgyqjy said:
bighawk":2ghgyqjy said:

tretola

TRETOLA

TRETOLA!!!

I'd love to see us go 123 with Coleman, Tretola and Glasgow. That would make my day.

Looking at video and their scouting reports, I've been liking Coleman and Tretola. Then I started looking at a different approach to figure out who these guys are and how they'd fit in, so I started facebook stalking NFL Prospects. I know.... At first I was just thinking of it as scouting, but after the 10th player or so, I realized... I'm stalking facebook profiles. What the hell am I doing?

Still... When comparing Tretola and Coleman's profiles to the profiles of a lot of other players, they really stand out as genuinely solid guys with a passion for football, strong roots and a strong connection with where they came from and where they're going. They're solid guys with a good foundation that aren't off the field trainwrecks waiting to happen, like Noah Spence, but they aren't generic either, like some others, Kyle Murphy's profile seemed kind of generic... no real personality. Anyways... Coleman and Tretola seem to be perfect fits for the Hawks in just about every way when I look at how they approach the game. I'm sold on them and would be ecstatic if we landed both of them.

titan3131

Reaction score
God but we need a pass rushing dt. Ugh. Is there anything dt wise in the 3rd?

firebee

Reaction score
titan3131":33u00m5t said:
God but we need a pass rushing dt. Ugh. Is there anything dt wise in the 3rd?

Vernon Butler, Javon Hargrave or Luther Maddy could all be had in the later rounds and they're all noted for being penetrating pass rush type of DTs vs. being big bodied cloggers. Hargrave is probably the most refined pass rusher out of them all. Butler probably has the most upside.

purpleneer

Reaction score
I'd be concerned about deemphasizing the edge and overrating a line's ability based on team production. I think Carolina's line looks better than they are based on their staff's self-awareness and Cam's abilities (and having a TE who can block). I also see them as having a much better team than Denver, and if they don't win, the biggest factor will be Ware and Miller dominating Carolina's tackles.
Denver's overall D is good enough that they also can't let themselves get run/pass predictable, a D-lineman's favorite thing.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":ebqyhfy4 said:
Erebus":ebqyhfy4 said:
Nice draft. Do you think Nick Martin would still be available if we traded down 10 to 15 spots?

As of today? It'd be a big risk.

Moving down from 25 to 35ish (Cowboys, Chargers, Ravens) would require someone worth trading up on their end. I can see Dallas if they pass on a QB and start sweating out the draft process. Cleveland, if they don't take one either will be taking one at 32 almost assuredly. And picking with the #1 pick in day two, they control the board for R2. So if it comes down to Dallas and Cleveland passing on QBs in R1 -- then Dallas will very likely be looking to move into the end of R1.

It's risky since Martin should be in that 25 to 50 overall range. His value is semi inflated today since the Senior Bowl is still fresh in the minds. You have to figure there are going to be 3-4 players whose combine efforts thrust them forward. I don't think Nick Martin is going to be one of those kinds of players.

I kind of have him going anywhere between 22 and 45. Depending on how the draft flows and team need.

What could artificially push him back is if teams feel there are significant other options that are still attractive in day 2 and possibly day 3. This OC bunch seems to have a lot of value in it.

Nick Martin
Graham Glasgow
Connor McGovern
Evan Boehm
Max Tuerk
Jack Allen
Ryan Kelly

This isn't a ordinal list. But I'd think Glasgow, McGovern are probably 50-100 overall prospects. Glasgow to me is hard to figure. He's definitely the guy that's come out of nowhere. Essentially a straight up UDFA by season's end. Then in the span of 2 weeks he outperforms his grade massively. Boehm and Allen kind of 95-140 overall prospects. Tuerk and Kelly 120-220 overall kinds of guys.

If Seattle doesn't go with glitz at OC, and are looking for gritty, tough and skilled OCs, I think Kelly and Allen would be very much in their wheelhouse.

Allen and Kelly should just dominate in the interview room. Both are going to have the kinds of backgrounds and attitude that Cable is going to like. And honestly there probably aren't very many teams that are in the market for an OC in the 25 to 50 overall range to begin with. I could easily see Martin slipping to a similar position that Morse fell to last year. Remember Morse was buoyed by outstanding combine/SPARQ scores. Taken by a team that covets that (KC).

If we took Martin, I'd think we were getting the best overall OC prospect. If we held off/traded back and hoped he fell into the 35-45 pool of talent I could get behind that move -- with the idea that we could still get a starter quality OC in the 65-95 overall range.

Either way, I do think we're taking one in the top 3 rounds.

I really liked what I saw of Martin and Glasgow during the Sr Bowl. However, Boehm looked terrible!

xgeoff

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2nrd1f2c said:
LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/nfl-mock-d ... two-rounds

The Carolina Panthers are starting Michael Oher at left tackle — a free agent cut by the Tennessee Titans last February. His cap hit for this season is $2.4m.

At right tackle they’re starting Mike Remmers — an undrafted free agent from 2012. He’s 26-years-old and already on his sixth NFL team. He was snatched from the Rams practise squad. His cap hit for this season is $585,000.

Cam Newton is generally well protected. The Panthers gave up 33 sacks during the regular season — the same number as the much vaunted Dallas Cowboys O-line and 13 fewer than the Seahawks.

Carolina are built to win in the trenches and they’re doing it without first round offensive tackles. The Seahawks have to consider a similar path.

Ryan Kalil (center) and Trai Turner (right guard) are Carolina’s two best offensive linemen. Kalil is a pillar of consistency, the unquestioned leader up front. Turner is the ultra-talented, physical guard playing next to him.

This is the strength of the unit.

If this were our draft, I'd be psyched. Lots of potential here, but I know nothing about the UCLA RB. Some guys that I have been hoping the Seahawks pick include Jones and Feeney. Both tweeners that could maybe play SS or OLB. Dahl impressed me at the Sr Bowl. You hear the scouts say he's this and that and too light and blah blah blah. Then he just goes out and plays well.

If there is one takeaway that we should all have, it's that the biggest, most consistent indicator of how well you will play in the NFL is how well you played previously. It's not 100%, but it's much more reliable than the 'measurables' that we've become enamoured with. The exception is QB's and hand size, but that's another story...

purpleneer

Reaction score
xgeoff":2rmiywxw said:
If this were our draft, I'd be psyched. Lots of potential here, but I know nothing about the UCLA RB. Some guys that I have been hoping the Seahawks pick include Jones and Feeney. Both tweeners that could maybe play SS or OLB. Dahl impressed me at the Sr Bowl. You hear the scouts say he's this and that and too light and blah blah blah. Then he just goes out and plays well.

If there is one takeaway that we should all have, it's that the biggest, most consistent indicator of how well you will play in the NFL is how well you played previously. It's not 100%, but it's much more reliable than the 'measurables' that we've become enamoured with. The exception is QB's and hand size, but that's another story...
Anything resembling a DB is way off the table for Feeney. Even if he plays LB, he's gonna be a liability covering anything much deeper than the flat.

cover-2

Reaction score
I like the thought process of strengthening the interior of the o-line. It worked for the Panthers this year and it also benefited Dree Brees when he had two Pro Bowl offensive guards, Carl Nicks & Jahri Evans, during the Saints Super Bowl season.

I also like the selection of another CB with some length. The late round selections are also great selections on players that have a lot of upside. Marquez North,and his 6-3 230 lb frame, would be an exciting player to see compete for playing time on our team. North could possibly replace Jermaine Kearse.

IMO I don't think the Seahawks would draft an undersized LB in rounds 1 through 4. So I'm not a fan of taking a safety sized LB in round 2. I also don't think they are looking for a complimentary or change of pace RB. They have stated in the past that they wanted their backup RB to still have that tough running style as the starting RB. So I think Perkins isn't a good fit for our tough hard nosed style of football that we are trying to get back to. Alex Collins or maybe Jordan Howard would make more sense as Seahawks drafting.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
cover-2":4ele0ex3 said:
IMO I don't think the Seahawks would draft an undersized LB in rounds 1 through 4. So I'm not a fan of taking a safety sized LB in round 2.

I'm also certain they would've drafted Ryan Shazier in 2014 given the chance. He's virtually their dream linebacker. He's 6-1 and 225lbs.

cover-2

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1nktik7e said:
cover-2":1nktik7e said:
IMO I don't think the Seahawks would draft an undersized LB in rounds 1 through 4. So I'm not a fan of taking a safety sized LB in round 2.

I'm also certain they would've drafted Ryan Shazier in 2014 given the chance. He's virtually their dream linebacker. He's 6-1 and 225lbs.

I respectfully disagree. Their mantra is Bigger, Faster, Stronger when putting together a team. It's not Faster, Smaller, Weaker /Short Arms. While yes anyone can look at NFL team rosters and find exceptions to their drafting philosophy but it doesn't mean they are going to start drafting small LB, CB, and RB.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
After watching the Superbowl this should be given some extra thought. Disregarding your OT positions can cost you the big game.

Alexander

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1ym4kzmr said:
After watching the Superbowl this should be given some extra thought. Disregarding your OT positions can cost you the big game.

I thought the Panthers did a poor job of scheming for the edge pressure. There were too many plays that took too long to develop, and too many where the OT's were left on an island. They desperately needed a quick passing game, and they just didn't have one. That deficiency plus their weakness at OT was basically the worst possible combination against Denver.

I would argue that if you gave the Hawks offense the Carolina O-line, they'd have had some success against that defense.

massari

Reaction score
Broncos LT- Ryan Harris = 1.4M

Broncos RT-Michael Schofield = 650k