Tyler's Odds of Winning Rookie of the Year?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Seymour":2qm8ahyj said:
400WattHPSHawk":2qm8ahyj said:
You're right. Mirer was ROY in his 3rd season.

Huh?
ROY is rookie of the year, correct?

Yep. It took Mirer a while to do everything. This was no exception. :lol:

And for those calling Mirer our best rookie, uh, check out all the Seahawks quarterback records. There's one guy who owns all the ones for rookies, and it's a #3, but it sure ain't Rick Mirer.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
0%

Gurley will win. Winston, Cooper and Mariota will get votes.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3jn3v6nv said:
The media gave it to Gurley as soon as he was drafted. But whatever, he can cradle it on his couch while he watches Lockett play this weekend.

That ... and he's the best rookie.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I love lockett, but "all-purpose yards" is a terrible stat.

If a Kick returner gets the ball 5 yards deep in the endzone and runs it out to the 15, he is credited with a 20 yard return even though the ball would have advanced 5 yards further if he just takes a knee.

Do that 5 times a game for 16 games and you have 1600 "all purpose yards".

I have always hated all-purpose yards as a stat because you REALLY can't use it to make a meaningful comparison, and if you can't use a stat to compare players then WHAT IS THE POINT OF THE STAT?

I would rather have a WR get 100 yards in a season than a KR get 1600 yards the way i mentioned above. Those 100 receiving yards are more valuable than the 1600 kick return yards.

Lockett has no shot at OROY, but he can be an important piece on a championship team. I'll take that any day.

Smellyman

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3i2hpog6 said:

If a Kick returner gets the ball 5 yards deep in the endzone and runs it out to the 15, he is credited with a 20 yard return even though the ball would have advanced 5 yards further if he just takes a knee.

I have always hated all-purpose yards as a stat because you REALLY can't use it to make a meaningful comparison, and if you can't use a stat to compare players then WHAT IS THE POINT OF THE STAT?

I would rather have a WR get 100 yards in a season than a KR get 1600 yards the way i mentioned above. Those 100 receiving yards are more valuable than the 1600 kick return yards.

Luckily we can use eyeballs to know that in Locketts case he is pretty dang good at it He didn't return to the 15 yard line every time.

Hawkaholic

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2jfvbfcc said:

Lockett has no shot at OROY, but he can be an important piece on a championship team. I'll take that any day.

It is a strange stat, and you can't look at that one number alone. But here is a meaningful comparison... IMO anyway.
2014 - Bryan Walters: 305 all purpose yards
2015 - Tyler Lockette: 1775 all purpose yards

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
bjornanderson21":hywz5yo8 said:

This is true, but only returners with poor decision-making skills return kicks out to the 15 when they start inside the goal line. The good ones fair catch the ones they can't return past the 20, as Lockett does. He also returned a whole lot of kicks a whole lot further than the 20.

If he'd have consistently done what you described above, he'd have been replaced at the position by mid-year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1qma9d9d said:
bjornanderson21":1qma9d9d said:

This is true, but only returners with poor decision-making skills return kicks out to the 15 when they start inside the goal line. The good ones fair catch the ones they can't return past the 20, as Lockett does. He also returned a whole lot of kicks a whole lot further than the 20.

If he'd have consistently done what you described above, he'd have been replaced at the position by mid-year.

You're both right, but he's not going to win OROY.. too many other good rookies in this class. I'd be surprised if he got a vote to be honest.

That doesn't mean the kid isn't special. Russell Wilson won't get a lot of love for MVP either.

Latest posts