UW Husky Men's Basketball Thread

D

DomeHawk

SoulfishHawk":2nrbk45v said:
Well, about 5 minutes after I posted, they just announced the Dawgs are FINALLY ranked. :roll:

What happened? Did Auburn lose its 10th game?

FINALLY is right.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yes, they are really good. Pac-12 is awful, but UW is being punished for being in a weak conference. They can't control who is put on their schedule. They are playing the games, and blowing out most teams. This team doesn't have the talent of the Zags or some of the other top teams, but I think they can make a run past the sweet 16 if they get a nice draw. Thybulle will likely win defensive player of the year and will have a great chance to break Gary Payton's all time record for Pac-12 steals. Watching him play is so much fun, not sure I've seen a player have such an impact on defense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I think they are going to be a Sweet 16 team this year. Defense travels, and they are such a well coached team, it will help them big time in the tourney.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3oawhfv1 said:
Well, about 5 minutes after I posted, they just announced the Dawgs are FINALLY ranked. :roll:

Well. thats not going to last long. Just lost to an 0-15 in conference Cal team. What happened? Was UW missing guys to injuries? Or they just not show up thinking they could beat a bottom dweller by sleepwalking through the game?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Cal shot lights out, UW looked tired and like they took them lightly to be honest. Good reality check for this team imo. Learn from it and get it rollin again.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Did Cal fans rush the court?

That's how you know if UW is really THAT good

Tical21

Reaction score
JSeahawks":wrqls1hb said:
SoulfishHawk":wrqls1hb said:

Well. thats not going to last long. Just lost to an 0-15 in conference Cal team. What happened? Was UW missing guys to injuries? Or they just not show up thinking they could beat a bottom dweller by sleepwalking through the game?
Defensive intensity was severely lacking in the first half. Dickerson never got it going, and Thybulle pulled a disappearing act. Dominic Green (shooter) also played 30 minutes and got 6 points. Just a really, really thin team, so if the players they rely on don't have it going, it can get ugly.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It was surprising how lazy and/or tired they looked yesterday. Shoot, every team has bad games, but they looked like they were just going thru the motions and this would be an easy game.
Hoping it was a nice wake up call for these guys. No excuse to lose to a crap team like that. But, you still gotta' lace em up, this game proved that.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Pac12 tourney should at least be interesting, if not high quality basketball. Admittedly, I havnt paid any attention but it certainly seems there are no real dominant teams, which means nobody is a shoe in to advance if they dont come out and play their best. I'd assume that the only chance the conference has of getting 2 teams into the Big Dance is to have UW lose in the pac12 title game.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Definitely a letdown game yesterday, but credit to Cal, they shot the ball very well. That was probably the best game they've played all season.

The loss probably moves them from a 7 seed to about a 9 seed. They're not on the bubble yet, but one more loss in their final three regular season games and there could be some nerves when they head to Vegas.

As of now, the only team with a chance at an at large bid is UW and ASU, with ASU being very much on the bubble, especially after their loss to Oregon yesterday. I think four more wins gets them in without question. Three wins and they are still probably in, but would be flirting with the bubble. I fully expect the team to bounce back and win their last three games of the season.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/KIRO7Seattle/status/1101575847994187777[/tweet]

- The No. 25-ranked Washington Huskies fell to the California Golden Bears 76-73 on the road Thursday night but still clinched their first conference championship since 2012 thanks to losses by Oregon State and Arizona State.

The Huskies (22-6, 13-2) had won 15 of 16 games coming into the matchup while the Bears (6-22, 1-15) had lost 16 straight games overall.

David Crisp scored 32 points to lead the Huskies, but missed a potential game-tying 3-pointer at the buzzer to set off a rare celebration at Haas Pavilion.

Jaylen Nowell added 22 points for the Huskies.

"We didn't respect the game," Crisp said. "We didn't respect our opponent. We just expected we would come out and win the game. Obviously, you're never going to win basketball games like that."

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Losing to Cal is an inexcusable loss. UW seems to be sputtering down the stretch with a couple very fortunate close calls going their way. Time will tell if its the wake up call they need or a team tailing off down the stretch.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Watched a good chunk of the WSU-Cal game, and Cal hilariously notched their second Pac12 win. But wow, that was one of the ugliest, sloppiest, mistake-prone games I've seen in some time.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The huskies are really playing poor basketball right now. Very sloppy leading to turnovers and horrible shot selection. When you have Hameir Wright chucking up 3 pointers, it’s not a good sign. They better right the ship soon.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, big win yesterday, but they are playing pretty sloppy overall. I still think it's a good reality check that they can fix. We shall see, can't wait to see them in the tourney regardless.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Are the Huskies a lock for the tournament yet? Would a loss to Oregon screw them or could they still make it with that?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1qpexweq said:
Are the Huskies a lock for the tournament yet? Would a loss to Oregon screw them or could they still make it with that?

I'd think they have to be pretty close to a lock at this point. I guess if they lose to Oregon and then lose in the first round of the pac 12 tournament they might get a little nervous, but i think they're in. They definitely have enough wins that they should be a lock, the problem is not a whole lot of quality wins due to how bad the conference is.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Great game last night. They need to hit those free throws and not be so sloppy on offense. Defensively they are damn good. But, they look lost on offense. Solid possessions in OT, but overall, they just really lack offensively. They had plenty of chances to put this game away, but they don't seem to have an offense that can pull away.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I think UW needs to win against Oregon and at least have win one in the tournament. Remember SMC last year went 28-5 and had no bad losses like UW does this year (Cal) and they did not get an invite. They have less wins a bad loss and no significant wins to hang their hat on. They lose to Oregon and in tourney right off the bat and they have plenty to worry about.
Not sure whats going on but UW is not playing real well right now and they barely avoided a crippling loss last night.