UW Husky Men's Basketball Thread

Chapow

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1dnv9vlg said:
Not sure whats going on but UW is not playing real well right now and they barely avoided a crippling loss last night.

Agreed. I'm pretty concerned at this point.

In their last 3 games they have struggled and lost to a terrible Cal team, struggled and were lucky to barely escape against a mediocre (at best) Stanford team, and struggled but finally won in OT against a mediocre Oregon State team.

It's one thing to have an off night, that happens to everyone. But this is 3 games in a row. The committee doesn't like to see these kinds of struggles this time of year. They better have a strong performance against Oregon on Saturday and in the PAC-12 tourney or I could definitely see them being left out.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Chapow":1bqcj63p said:
Natethegreat":1bqcj63p said:
Not sure whats going on but UW is not playing real well right now and they barely avoided a crippling loss last night.

In their last 3 games they have struggled and lost to a terrible Cal team, struggled and were lucky to barely escape against a mediocre (at best) Stanford team, and struggled but finally won in OT against a mediocre Oregon State team.

It's one thing to have an off night, that happens to everyone. But this is 3 games in a row. The committee doesn't like to see these kinds of struggles this time of year. They better have a strong performance against Oregon on Saturday and in the PAC-12 tourney or I could definitely see them being left out.

The Huskies are not being left out.

Theyre a 9/10 seed right now.

D

DomeHawk

SoulfishHawk":1rjgn8ef said:
Cal shot lights out, UW looked tired and like they took them lightly to be honest. Good reality check for this team imo. Learn from it and get it rollin again.

And that's the gist of it. Basketball is like baseball, vastly inferior teams can win one game if they get hot. That is why championships are a series of games in those sports or at least should be.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Not sure why people are so down on the Huskies. The Cal loss was bad. We didn't play well against Stanford, but road conference games aren't easy. All I want is the win on the road. Don't care how pretty it is. It's like when the Seahawks have to play an inferior Cardinals or Niners team on the road. Those games will always be closer than you think. History has shown that we play Oregon State close. I think they said three of the last nine meetings with them have gone to OT.

We are far from the bubble. We were a 9 seed in most projected brackets after the Cal loss. We've won two games since then, we are probably sitting around an 8 seed as of now. The last bubble teams are 12 seeds, that's roughly 20 teams between us and the bubble. Here is a quick comparison of our resume to some bubble teams. NET is the new tool the selection committee uses that has basically replaced RPI. For reference, our NET fell 4 spots after our loss to Cal. Even if we lost our next two games, which is unlikely, our NET would probably fall no more than 8 spots, which would still keep our NET in the high 30's to low 40's. Teams on the bubble have NET's in the 50's. People forget just how weak the bubble is, most of the bubble teams are under .500 in conference and have much worst numbers than Washington.

UW : 24-6 (15-2 in conference)
NET: 33
RPI: 20
Quad 1: 2-4
Quad 2: 6-1
Quad 3: 10-0
Quad 4: 6-1

Lundardi has Alabama as one of his last four in and Creighton as one of his first four out.

Alabama: 17-13 (8-9 in conference)
NET: 55
RPI: 56
Quad 1: 3-8
Quad 2: 6-3
Quad 3: 5-2
Quad 4: 3-0

Creighton: 16-13 (8-9 in conference)
NET: 53
RPI: 54
Quad 1: 3-10
Quad 2: 6-3
Quad 3: 4-0
Quad 4: 3-0

Natethegreat

Reaction score
If there is one thing I could change its having sub .500 teams in conference being selected in the tournament. If you can't even reach .500 you don't belong there period.
In the last 20 years less and less lower conference teams are selected by the committee and more and more putrid teams from the power 6 get in.
The most important thing is who you play and not winning
If you have played a lot of high RPI/NET teams all you have to do is win a couple at home and walla you negate all your losses and all the wins by mid major teams.

I would select UW this year but I do think they are not playing their best ball right now. There have been many worthy teams left out in the recent past (SMC who went 28-5 for one) that get pushed out so they can squeeze one more P6 team in there who has proven all year long they do not belong.

D

DomeHawk

Natethegreat":1gnkh3y4 said:
If there is one thing I could change its having sub .500 teams in conference being selected in the tournament. If you can't even reach .500 you don't belong there period.

^^^^Yep

Natethegreat

Reaction score
For what its worth CBS has UW on the bubble for all the same reasons I mentioned earlier.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3p8f6c2e said:
For what its worth CBS has UW on the bubble for all the same reasons I mentioned earlier.

Jerry Palm has them as a 10 seed, which is close to the bubble, but not on the bubble. Lunardi has them as an 8 seed, which is far from the bubble. I think they are closer to an 8 than a 10, but we'll see. A lot depends on what other teams do between now and next Sunday.

The bubble is really soft this year, particularly because the Pac-12, Big East, Mountain West and other conferences are so down. Need to hope there are no huge upsets on the conference tourney's, need to hope there are a lot of at large bids.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I definitely think very weak bubble teams this year helps UW. They beat Oregon and I don't think they have anything to worry about. If they lose I think they do.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The loss to Cal moved to a quad 3 loss which is huge. They've won three in a row and their NET is now 233, if they can keep their NET under 241, it will stay as a quad 3 loss. That could be big when the committee looks and Washington's resume. Not many teams have quad 4 losses, but a lot have quad 3 losses. I still think UW only needs one more win the rest of the season, tonight would help take the pressure off them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ive not seen a bracket that doesn't have them from 7-10... certainly nothing that says bubble.

Cbs has them as a 10 seed AND on the bubble

Not trying to jinx it but they seem fine.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Huskies have 6 points after 11 minutes of play. There is something wrong with this team right now.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1284j0vy said:
Huskies have 6 points after 11 minutes of play. There is something wrong with this team right now.

Ducks have managed to blow several big leads this season.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Their offense is absolute drek right now. 8 points in 16 minutes. :pukeface:

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The Huskies look terrible offensively. Scoring 47 is really an eye sore. They have no good wins to hang their hats on and have a terrible loss.

I don't get why anyone would be confident this team gets selected if they don't win the tournament.

Chapow

Reaction score
Uncle Si":usi19cq5 said:
Chapow":usi19cq5 said:
Natethegreat":usi19cq5 said:

The Huskies are not being left out.

Theyre a 9/10 seed right now.

How about now?

The way they're playing right now they could easily be one and done in the Pac-12 tourney.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
You got me... but im not on the selection committee... amazing how self defeating a few of you want to be about this.

They were a 9/10 seed before tonight. Is this the loss that kicks them out?

Maybe... not rooting for it though

JSeahawks

Reaction score
As we stand today I think they’re pretty safely in. However, if they somehow manage to lose their opening pac12 tourney game, which would be another loss to a pretty bad team, then things get interesting. I’d like to see a scenario where Washington wins a game or two but Oregon ultimately wins the tourney so the pac can get 2 teams in.

Arizona state also is a bubble team and has a chance, I can’t root for them though because Bobby Hurley whines and cry’s more than any coach not named Doc Rivers.

That said, I don’t think anyone from the pac has much chance of surviving past the first weekend of the big tourney.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
And he played for Duke... as an ASU alum i still cant latch onto that team.

Beat UofA tonight though. I think theyre getting close to securing an invite