UW Husky Men's Basketball Thread

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Pac12 tourney is set. UW, ASU, Utah and OSU have the first round byes. Washington will play the winner of USC/Arizona on Thursday at noon. Oregon plays WSU in the first round at 8:30 PM Wednesday, the winner of that game will play Utah.

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":35x9dor4 said:
And he played for Duke... as an ASU alum i still cant latch onto that team.

Beat UofA tonight though. I think theyre getting close to securing an invite

ASU has clearly been the second best team in the Pac this year.

Anything can happen in the tourney though, the end of the season sees a ton of parity in the Pac-12.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hopefully they play inspiring ball as they were earlier in the season. Because as of late, they have been playing extremely poor - t like a team unworthy of playing in the tournament.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
How many coaches can take a team from last in the conference to first in the conference in just two seasons? Not many. Also Nowell won Pac-12 POY and Thybulle won Pac-12 DPOY. Congrats to all of them.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Great job by Hopkins and a well deserved award. Congrats to Nowell and Thybull as well. Now they need to go out and win that Pac 12 Tournament!

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Wow, that was a fun game to watch. USC with the bone head turnover at the end there to seal it.
UW really started out well from three and it really opened up their offense.
Night and day difference from the Oregon game. Dickerson is really struggling lately.

D

DomeHawk

Natethegreat":iiqcolsk said:
Wow, that was a fun game to watch. USC with the bone head turnover at the end there to seal it.
UW really started out well from three and it really opened up their offense.
Night and day difference from the Oregon game. Dickerson is really struggling lately.

We have to find a way to get Noah involved if we are going to do anything.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
What a game! Back and forth from tip until the final buzzer.

I thought both teams played really great basketball. That's about as well as we can play on offense with the exception of Dickerson having an off game. The team plays so much better when they get contributions from Naz and Green. Seems like if we can get about 20 combined points from them we are very tough to beat.

Colorado is up big on Oregon State, looks like we will play them.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Dear God can they just hit some damn free throws? And the offense is so sloppy. Zero discipline and they look lost on offense, game after game. Fired up they pulled it off, but that O is really hard to watch.
That being said, that dunk...……...holy crap

D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":t6sc5ywc said:
Ducks and Huskies heading for a championship showdown?

Probably, and the ducks are looking like they finally have hit their stride. Oregon lost its best player this year but they still underachieved with those great recruiting classes. Altman seems to have a flair for finishing strong though.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
If I had to pick a team to win right now it would definitely be Oregon. Not saying the Huskies couldn't win but Dickerson really struggled against them and the whole offense would need to be dependent on the three ball. Not a proposition I would hang my hat on.

D

DomeHawk

Natethegreat":3lbbcli5 said:
If I had to pick a team to win right now it would definitely be Oregon. Not saying the Huskies couldn't win but Dickerson really struggled against them and the whole offense would need to be dependent on the three ball. Not a proposition I would hang my hat on.

I end to agree with you, and the Huskies don't really have anything to play for, they are in. Ducks, on the other hand, are hoping that a Pac-12 Tourney title will get them in. They have everything to play for.

Going into the tourney many publications were listing the Huskies as on the bubble. That seemed like BS to me that a power-5 conference champion wouldn't get a bid but the east coast bias is a real thing, especially in basketball.

I really think there should be at least two bids from the Pac.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
DomeHawk":34azych0 said:
Natethegreat":34azych0 said:

I end to agree with you, and the Huskies don't really have anything to play for, they are in. Ducks, on the other hand, are hoping that a Pac-12 Tourney title will get them in. They have everything to play for.

Going into the tourney many publications were listing the Huskies as on the bubble. That seemed like BS to me that a power-5 conference champion wouldn't get a bid but the east coast bias is a real thing, especially in basketball.

We all know its happened before so I don't know why you wouldn't think it could happen again(pac 12 team placing first but not getting bid). I do think they are in at this point but remember if Oregon wins that bumps someone out and there are a couple more tournaments that could cost teams bids.
Huskies have plenty to play for and I highly doubt they don't come out giving every last ounce of effort they have. I think they have a huge advantage with Oregon playing their fourth game in 4 days plus over time last night.
Thats just not something they are used to doing and I think that one less game is going to be huge for UW. I actually think they win tonight. Oregon may come out on top first half but I think UW pulls away in the end.

D

DomeHawk

Natethegreat":35tth7g5 said:
DomeHawk":35tth7g5 said:
Natethegreat":35tth7g5 said:

We all know its happened before so I don't know why you wouldn't think it could happen again(pac 12 team placing first but not getting bid). I do think they are in at this point but remember if Oregon wins that bumps someone out and there are a couple more tournaments that could cost teams bids.
Huskies have plenty to play for and I highly doubt they don't come out giving every last ounce of effort they have. I think they have a huge advantage with Oregon playing their fourth game in 4 days plus over time last night.
Thats just not something they are used to doing and I think that one less game is going to be huge for UW. I actually think they win tonight. Oregon may come out on top first half but I think UW pulls away in the end.

Every single site I have seen today has UW as a lock and I am not seeing Oregon as even a bubble. This game is NOT for the Pac-12 championship, it is for the Pac-12 Tournament Championship that is quite different than the football championship where the best teams from the north and south play for the actual championship. I guess a win here could possibly move us up a notch in seeding but I'm even skeptical of that, everyone seems to have us at a #8 seeding.

Over on the duck site they posted an article by one of their own writers that the winner of this game is the only one in the NCAA tourney, that is complete BS.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... ch-bracket

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Regardless, I think that late night overtime game plus playing a 4th game in 4 nights will really work in UW's favor. I think they win tonight.
Oregon has really turned it on of late though. I would bet they win the NIT should they play in it and should they win I would not be surprised if they made the sweet sixteen.

D

DomeHawk

Natethegreat":4my5sw9g said:
Regardless, I think that late night overtime game plus playing a 4th game in 4 nights will really work in UW's favor. I think they win tonight.
Oregon has really turned it on of late though. I would bet they win the NIT should they play in it and should they win I would not be surprised if they made the sweet sixteen.

Oregon definitely seems like the hot team right now and if they win tonight they get an automatic berth that would make two teams from the Pac in the tourney.

Having said all that, I don't have a lot of optimism they (UW) go far in the tourney, the offensive sets are just terrible too often.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
DomeHawk":24ie2ce8 said:
Natethegreat":24ie2ce8 said:

Oregon definitely seems like the hot team right now and if they win tonight they get an automatic berth that would make two teams from the Pac in the tourney.

Having said all that, I don't have a lot of optimism they (UW) go far in the tourney, the offensive sets are just terrible too often.
UW is a tough team to play against if you have never faced them. I think they win at least one if not more depending on match ups of course.